Post your K Series technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

krankshaft
Forum User
Country of Residence: switzerland

Dead Odyssey

Postby krankshaft » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:27 pm

Hi there
When I went to start my 1990 K100LT today the battery was flat. I jump started it from my other bike(1985 R80) and went for a ride.
The K100 has a 4 year old Odyssey PC680 battery (the R80*s is 1 year old). Now, I had thought that I had looked after the Odyssey well, it
has been charged regularly with a maintenance charger when not in use etc. I might have left it longer without charging this year(but fully charged before storage) and the only drain that I can think of is the LCD on the dash clock.
Has anyone similar experience with Odyssey batteries? Is there enough drain in a K-bike to destroy an AGM battery in a few months?
I have tried to charge it this evening and after a few hours on the CTEK charger, the diagnostic on the charger indicates that
the battery cannot hold a 12 volt charge. It is holding 11.31 volts.
As an aside, I have replaced the voltage regulator on my R80 with an adjustable VR and upped the output to 14.7 volts as Odyssey
recommend this as a charging voltage, I have never measured the output (at the battery) on the K100, so does the K-bike*s charging system put out enough to keep the Odyssey battery healthy?
Thanks for any information
Ride safe
jim

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Dead Odyssey

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:08 am

Hi Jim,

The LCD dash clock will only have a drain of about 2 m/A - this is insignificant and any battery could sustain this for months on end without requiring recharging.

I am not in favour of keeping a battery on a permanent maintenance charge when not in use and believe that it is better for a battery to be charged periodically i.e. Once a fortnight 24 hour charge on a Smart Charger when not in use.

Batteries can stand for 3 months without a charge when new and fully charged.
When a battery is brought into use, it starts to degrade and it generally has a guaranteed life of about 1000 Charge/Discharge cycles.
Batteries can last longer than their designed life cycle but much of this depends on how they are maintained and the operating conditions.
Vibration, over-charging and leaving in a non fully-charged state can be an early killer of batteries.

The Odyssey battery by repute appears to last longer than most. I think that this is due to quality manufacture and good design particularly in respect of plate vibration proofing.

Do you have an alarm system fitted? This can often be the cause of a flat battery.

If you have a NON smart charger i.e. the old fashioned charger, I would use this to put the battery on charge for 24 hours to see if you can get the off-charge voltage to rise above 12v.
Disconnect the battery earth lead to the bike before charging directly across the battery terminals in case something on the bike is draining the battery.

If this works to get the battery back up, then you might also suspect a fault with your CTEK charger.

You should check the bike charging voltage directly across the battery terminals at 3000 rpm if you can get the bike started using the Odyssey to check that the bike charging is working OK.
The bike charging voltage should be 14.0 to 14.5 volts.

Otherwise, I think you have been unlucky.
You might try an email to the supplier/manufacturer in the hope of getting a discount on a new Odyssey.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

Aladin1
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: England

Postby Aladin1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:14 am

[quote=krankshaft post_id=168745 time=1492727233 user_id=8725
Has anyone similar experience with Odyssey batteries? Is there enough drain in a K-bike to destroy an AGM battery in a few months?

[/quote]

In my experience yes........ the exactly same set of circumstances occured with my PC680 on my K100RT and the only thing drawing power was the clock. When I tried to charge the battery from deep discharge it would not hold a charge. I took the battery to our college motorcycle department and they confirmed after trying to charge it that the battery was dead.
2007 R1200GS
1985 K100RT
1961 G12 Matchless

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:24 am

Alan [Aladin1],

It is not unusual to find that a Smart Charger cannot re-charge a fully discharged battery.

This is because the Smart Charger assumes the battery is faulty if the battery voltage is below a set figure, usually around 5.0 v for a 12v battery.

The remedy to get the battery charged is to use a NON-Smart Charger i.e. The old-fashioned type without a microprocessor.

Once the battery voltage is up around 12v the Smart Charger can be used.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

Aladin1
Club Member 12

Postby Aladin1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 am

Hi Ced
Yes I fully agree with you! I tried recharging with my Optimate 4 to no avail which is why I took my battery to our college motorcycle department and kindly asked the motorcycle lecturers and technicians for help. After a week of trying to kick some life into the battery they gave up. Since then I have watched several you tube clips on the subject of bringing batteries back to life and with the luxury of hindsight I would have tried those methods as well. My reply was to the OP question "has anyone similar experience with an Odyssey PC680?" And that was exactly my experience.
Alan
2007 R1200GS
1985 K100RT
1961 G12 Matchless

krankshaft
Forum User

Postby krankshaft » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks very much for the replies.
Ced, no, I don*t have an alarm fitted, I even removed the radio. As for the suspect CTEK, it seems to work ok on my other
two bikes one of which is an Odyssey and the other is a 14Ah flooded battery. Also when I took the bike for a 60km ride, when I stopped to see if the starter would turn (at the top of a big hill!), it was still dead.
As for the bike*s charging system, when I rev the bike, I could see the idiot lights rising and dropping with the revs, when I measured the voltage across the battery at 3000rpm, it was showing 13.71volts, bearing in mind the dead battery, I need to repeat this with a good battery in it.
When I stopped charging last night, the battery voltage was 11.71v, it is now(14 hours later) 11.31volts.
I don*t mind biting the bullet and buying a new battery, it is what it is, but now I am not so sure if I would chance another Odyssey, if it requires more maintenance than a normal flooded battery.
Ride safe
jim

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi Jim,

It sounds like a failed cell in your battery.

I am trialing a Motobatt quad-terminal AGM Battery MB51814 fitted a year ago on my R1100RT.
It was chosen as I had heard good reports about Motobatt.

I have previously used the Exide Gel batteries and found they lasted about 4 years.

If you decide to go for the same Motobatt AGM battery, then only use the supplied battery lugs and screws as I think that the threaded holes in the quad terminal battery are of a locking anti-vibration type.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

krankshaft
Forum User

Postby krankshaft » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi,Ced
I was considering giving the Motobatt a try, to make a comparison. I*ve already put the Odyssey from the airhead into the K100
as the boxer is on the table waiting for a tyre, so the Motobatt would be for it.
I*ve ordered one from Germany.
Thanks for your replies
jim

krankshaft
Forum User

Postby krankshaft » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:08 pm

just a quick update on the outcome of my battery issue.
I exchanged some emails with the technical department of Odyssey Batteries.
Bruce Essig of Odyssey says:

`Because of the constant discharge on the

battery from the bikes fuel injection system, we recommend

the CTEK be connected continuously from the time you park

the bike until you ride it again. Once in the

trickle/float mode, the energy consumption is pennies a week

of AC power and prevents the development of long term

sulfation development.

The

PC680 has a two year warranty and since the battery is four

years old, I can't do anything to replace it as its

delivered service life although less than desired is twice

the warranty period. Use your CTEK continuously and you

should easily get 8-10 years service going forward.`

I am thinking of installing a battery isolator
like the one on my old Dnepr to protect my next Odyssey!
Ride safe

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi Krankshaft,

Thanks for the update!

However, to the best of my knowledge there is NO significant constant discharge on the bike's battery due to the use of a Fuel Injection System.
The Fuel Injection System only draws significant current when the Ignition is On and the engine is running.
When the Ignition is Off, there is no current draw by the Injectors or the Timing sensors.
The Engine Control Unit (ECU) or, in your case the K100 LE-Jetronic fuelling computer, do not draw significant current when the Ignition is Off.
You can verify the above by putting an Ammeter in series with the Battery earth lead and the Battery Negative terminal with the Ignition OFF and should see only the Clock current being drawn (approx. 2 m/A) which a 19Ah Battery can supply for over 6 months.

Regarding the use of a Battery Isolator; this can be of use in an emergency in the event of a serious electrical fault causing a fire.
It may also be a useful anti-theft device.
However, most bikes now use an LCD clock which is connected 24/7 and isolating the Battery will stop the clock which will require a reset when the power is re-connected.

On more modern bikes with a 'smart' ECU which has a learning capability such as the Bosch Motronic MA2.2 on the R1150 series, isolating/disconnecting the battery can 'lose' the learned data such that the ECU has to rebuild the Learned Offsets Table when the bike is next run.
This can affect throttle positions and can give reduced performance using default tables until the new offsets table is rebuilt automatically after a period.
There is a slight current draw by these ECUs when the Ignition is Off to keep the 'learned' memory alive but it is not significant and in the region of micro-amps (uA) so can be discounted.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

windmill john
Forum User
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:37 pm

I love my Odyssey, 5 years plus, lives outside, perfect, but my R65 has no clock, trickle etc.
I fitted an Odyssey to my K75S which I then sold to AndyMG. That has a clock and I wonder how he is getting on with it.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Friedrich 1993 R80RT - a Percheron, but can still mix it with the rest.

krankshaft
Forum User

Postby krankshaft » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi, John
I loved my Odyssey too! And, yes, Ced, I know the fuel injection thing was really a bit of bullshot. I supplied him with make,year and model
so he was just doing a bit of quick thinking, can't blame him, and I've measured the current draw with ignition off and it is negligible.
The fact remains that the Odyssey does need to be pampered a bit more than I had previously thought and I will definitely keep a better
eye on the new one (which will actually be a Motobatt). As for a battery isolator, I think I might fit one anyway, I am thinking of long trips,
maybe with limited access to mains electricity etc (solar chargers notwithstanding) and I really don't mind resetting my dash clock.
I must add that Odyssey's technical department gave me a very quick response to my query and was answering my emails almost instantly.
Ride safe........ and plug in when you get home.
Jim

PhilO
Forum User

Postby PhilO » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:53 pm

My Optimate said my Odyssey was dead after 5 years of regular charging. Gave it a wallap with cheepo charger and it came back to 13.7V. Now I never charge it and it always starts the bike even after 3 months in the shed. I always disconnect the battery when the bike is not in use. Battery now about 10 years old. Is this a record?

Tony the Skin
Club Member 12

Postby Tony the Skin » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:16 pm

My Optimate said my Odyssey was dead after 5 years of regular charging. Gave it a wallap with cheepo charger and it came back to 13.7V. Now I never charge it and it always starts the bike even after 3 months in the shed. I always disconnect the battery when the bike is not in use. Battery now about 10 years old. Is this a record?
As I understand it an Optimate should NOT be used on an Odyssey.
BMW R75/5
BMW R90/S
BMW R75/7
BMW K75 Sprint
BMW R1200 RS LC
Harleys
MZ 251
Suzuki GT750A

Membership No. 672

Return to “K Series Q&A's”