K1100RS fork strip concern

Post your K Series technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

HarrisBikeNut
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

K1100RS fork strip concern

Postby HarrisBikeNut » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:24 pm

OK, needed to replace the seals on my K11RS and so got the various bits needed to complete the job. No issues with the right hand fork, but issues arose when tackling the left hand (abs side) fork. First issue was the fact that whoever had been in before had rounded off the bolt at the bottom of the fork. So, further delay as the bolt and rubber O ring needed to be ordered. Main issue though was finding a snap ring hanging on the fork spring when the assembly was removed for inspection, cleaning etc. So, my question is where has this snap ring come from? I can find no reference to it in my Clymer manual and it doesn't show up on any of the exploded pictures or parts fiche web sites I have visited in vain. It is the same type as the snap ring that fixes the fork seal in th top of the slider. Forks gave been working fine, other than the leaking oil, so am at a real loss. I have not removed it, it was just there, hanging off of the fork spring. Is it actually a K1100RS part or something "left behind" from something else??????
No idea how to post a picture but it is the same as the snap ring used on top if the fork seal but smaller - about 30/35 mm across and must be an internal fastener. Can't look at the other fork as it's been reassembled and filled with oil.

Bob
Last edited by HarrisBikeNut on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: K1100RS fork strip concern

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Posting Photos:

METHOD 1:
Using the Forum 'Upload Attachment' method you are limited to uploading a picture of not more than 1200 x 1200 pixels max dimensions, 250Kbytes max file size.
Any problems will be advised when you try it. You can then add up to three pictures/post.

Here's how:
1. Go to 'Full Editor & Preview'.
2. Scroll down and select 'Attachments' tab.
3. Select 'Add files' and browse for your picture (max 1200x1200 pixels and 250Kb filesize).
4. Add any 'File Comments' to be attached to the pic.
5. Place your cursor in the post where you want the pic to be located.
6. Select 'Place Inline'.
7. Repeat from (2) above for up to a total of three pics/post.
8. Select 'Submit'.

If your pics are too big (> 1200x1200 pixels and 250Kb filesize), see the following depending on the device you are using:

Windows: I use Windows Paint (tabs Home/Resize) which allows you to resize a pic and save it under a different filename
e.g. 'existing filename'_ small.

iPad/iPhone: For iPad/iPhone photo resize, go to the App Store and download a free Photo Resize App such as 'Simple Resize':
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simple- ... 76379?mt=8

Mac: For Mac photo resize go to the Preview application where there is a resize function.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

Inge K.
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norway

Re: K1100RS fork strip concern

Postby Inge K. » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:03 am

Could it be # 13?
klips.jpg

Click on the picture in the link.

https://www.engelandmoto.com/bmw-lock-r ... 12919.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “K Series Q&A's”