K1200R Sport Conrod

Post your K Series technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

SteveD
Forum User
Country of Residence: Oz

Re: K1200R Sport Conrod

Postby SteveD » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:00 am

Oh I feel your pain. For that price, I'd take it but I'm in Oz :sad: If you could be bothered, parting it out would bring the most money. Takes time and is tedious though.

I have a 25K km 12/2005 build K1200R. It's probably worth $OZ 6K. I've had it for 2 years now. So far so good, but I'm aware of the issues these bikes have. The clutch wears early, the gearbox is clunky, the servo abs has an unhappy fail rate and the camchain can jump off the sprocket unless the recall guard has been added.

Did the bike have the cam chain guard installed under the recall? That recall has been in place for years.

If the chain jumped the sprocket it was known to lunch an engine, but I don't know if it was just the 4th cylinder or not?

From what I've read, when this happens, it's usually the right cylinder.
Cheers, Steve.
1982 R100RS, 2006 K1200R.
Stay horizontal!

http://photobucket.com/R100RSsupergallery
https://www.facebook.com/bmwmotorcycletshirts/

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:45 am

Hi
Steve has point check the vosa recalls, that may help BMW see your point of view.

As an aside there was a recall on one of my bikes and the importer said that they would only pay their dealer a standard rate no matter what the recall work cost. The dealer wanted me to pay the difference if the job took longer. I did not want to pay extra.
My telephone call to vosa got them to encourage the importer to pay the bill in full

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Johnny8718
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Johnny8718 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:57 pm

SteveD.

Thanks very much for that info. When you google K1200R engine failure it brings up hardly anything at all, however after searching the issue you raise, it would appear that there is a lot of chat about it. Now you come to mention it, it was rattly at high revs which I simply put down to a characteristic of the bike. If you look through the hole in the block, there is a gear on the outer most side of the crank, right next to the broken big end. Guess what? There's no chain on it! Furthermore, the many posts on the issue that you raise point to that side of the bike and would suggest that you are 100% correct.

I have checked the VOSA (UK site of course) for any recalls and they list the steering damper, and a front brake issue. Absolutely nothing engine related.

I really don't know where to start however. I could see this being a lengthy legal battle to try and prove some wrongdoing on the part of the manufacturer. One would assume that by now (given that some of the many posts go back five years at least), the court would suggest that there was some onus on me to ensure that all of the recalls and necessary work had been completed during my ownership (that is not to say that the recall hasn't been done on this bike).

Some years ago I bought a Mitsubishi L200 from a local main dealer. It was sold to me as a one owner, full history vehicle. Within a matter of days I noticed that the service book in the glove box was from another car and the gearbox idler bearings were very noisy. Upon complaining to the company, they admitted that the car had lacked a lot of the servicing it should have had but denied putting another history with the vehicle with the intent of deceiving me. They said that this was a simple mistake. The information held on their computer did suggest that the car I now owned had NOT been looked after properly.

I argued with the garage for months before taking legal action. As you quite rightly point out Galactic, I had the right to refuse the vehicle under the trade descriptions act and did so. I gave them three options.

1. Replace the vehicle for 'the one' I intended to buy.
2. Repair my vehicle and compensate me.
3. Refund me in full.

Nine months later and after finally issuing a county court summons (they refused to act on all three options in all that time), they opted for option 2. During this time I had returned the vehicle to the dealership and it sat there all that time, the management suggesting that I 'come and get it' as they refused to engage with me. They treated me like some sort of worthless fool and thought I was bluffing throughout. In the end I was given £1500 compensation and the gearbox was overhauled but in all that time I was without a car. I felt like I had lost even though I won in the end.

I feel wronged by BMW but do not feel any malice towards the independent dealer that sold me the bike 7 months ago. He sold it to me as a trader and I do not believe that he had any reason to believe that the bike would self destruct later in the year, especially given the masses of BMW and other history that came with it. Legally I feel that my only recompense would be to take BMW down the legal route which would then mean keeping hold of it, having independent engineers reports completed and gaining lots of legal advice. I simply do not have the time nor the inclination to do so as I have a very busy life and the result (if I were to be successful in months to come) would be to have the bike repaired, possibly at SOME cost to BMW (no doubt I too would have to fork out something), and I still have a bike that I consider to be what can only be described as a load of crap. Probably one of the worse bikes I have ever owned (and I say that before it went pop). I never got on with it and it just didn't feel like a quality machine.

Given the issues that I have had with BMW machines over the years versus Honda (and I know you won't like me saying this on a BMW site), I have decided to continue to sell. I have been given £1000 for the bike. The fact that I have saved £1500 on repair bills and all of the legal hassle is enough for me and in one sense you could almost say that I have recovered the £2500 that it is worth. Furthermore, I can move on this week without having to put myself through hell in the meantime.

I will be putting a deposit down on a Honda ST1300 Pan European later this week. This would be my third 'Pan' and eighth Honda motorcycle. The last ST1100 (as I have already said) had done 160,000 miles and purred like a kitten. For me, they are most definitely tried, tested and come with very few horror stories. One would hope that the replacement Honda would not self destruct in the same way. If it did blow up however, I can buy a replacement engine for a few hundred pounds. I feel better doing this as I have full control of the situation and don't have to argue for months and months without a bike which I so desperately need.

I think there are some very valuable lessons to be learnt from this saga, none more-so than to ensure that any recall lists are checked and potential issues dealt with immediately. Having said all of this, experience would have said that a bike with full history, serviced regularly and on time and in excellent overall condition (especially a BMW) would have been a bullet proof purchase and one which would have come without such a headache. I understand that there is good and bad in everything but the more I speak to people, the more information is uncovered which would suggest that the manufacturer well and truly knew about this issue but are happy to **** me off.

Very angry and upset at the moment but happy that I have a plan.

John.

:pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright:

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi
it is good to have a plan so you can move on
George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:25 pm

Glad you have made a decision and one which sounds quite sensible to me.

You purchased the bike in a responsible manner and you are unfortunate in what has happened.

However, although you have lost financially on the deal, you were not injured in the event and that would have been a far more disastrous outcome.

At least now you can move on with your life and get back on the road again soon.

Enjoy the Honda Pan Euro which is a great touring bike!
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

Johnny8718
Forum User

Postby Johnny8718 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks Galactic, in fact thanks to everyone.

Got to say, bobbed in here just to 'use' your forum and I suppose, share my experience. Felt a bit cheeky really. I can see that you are a great bunch. Thanks for the support, information and well wishes. Much appreciated.

BTW I have only just noticed where you are from. I had a static on Park Of Brandedleys over at Crocketford until last month. I was there for about 10 years. My usual haunt is the Galloway Arms and I love the Steamboat over on the coast near to Sandyhills.

Just bought a new van up at Barnsoul at Shawhead. Lovely part of the world, spend a lot of time up there on the bike. My wife originates from Scotland and thats why we picked D&G. We have four daughters from 8 to 18 and they all love it. (Now you see why I'm far too busy to take legal action, living with 5 females, no 6 - even the dog's a female)!

:mad:

Maybe I might bump into you one day.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Ha ha - it's a small world! :smile:

I am only a few miles from the places you mention and I know the Steamboat Inn at Carsethorn as I sometimes run my Greyhound on the beach there when the tide is out!

Barnsoul near Shawhead is the closest of the places to me and I enjoy taking the Glenkiln Reservoir hill road on my bike (R1100RT) every now and again.

You will likely be aware of the opportunity for top-class mountain-biking in the nearby Mabie Forest for your family - I tried it a couple of times but getting a bit old for that now!

If you wish, next time you are up send me an email via the forum and we can have a chat and/or a rideout.

There is a final (for this year) Club Northern Meet at Moffat (lunch meet) on the last Sunday of this month which could give your Pan a nice run before winter. Details in the events calendar on the forum:
http://www.bmridersclub.com/calendar.htm
Don't worry about it not being a BMW, we get all sorts at the Northern Meets, even MZs from Manchester!
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

Johnny8718
Forum User

Postby Johnny8718 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:22 pm

That's great. I might take you up on the offer of the meet as I will be up there that week anyway. I could always follow the family on the bike (whatever that may be).

I might just stick around on the website. I'll definitely update you regarding Moffat. Might stop for a burger at the Buccleuch Hotel. Great food there.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:27 pm

That's great! :smile:

The Rumblin' Tum cafe in the High Street is the Moffat lunch venue - the food is good.

Do stick around on the forum - there is no obligation to run a BMW - only to have an interest in them (and you've certainly got that!)

There are a wide range of forum topics discussed and your mechanical experience and advice will be greatly valued.

There are some quite active members in your area who you will get to know if you follow the forum and take part in some meets - you will be made very welcome.
The biking season is nearing a close for some of us now but there are still a couple of meets left.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Johnny8718
Forum User

Postby Johnny8718 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Well, its gone to Poland. I had three Polish guys arguing about who was going to buy it and got the £1000 I wanted in the end. An non english speaking guy turned up last night (said he would be here at 8pm) and arrived at 11pm! I was annoyed and quite wary, but all came good in the end. To be honest I would have fired him off, but he had already paid a £100 deposit through PayPal a few days prior so I was kind of committed.

I don't know what kind of money these guys make out of our unwanted bikes, but he turned up in a Citroen Relay van with a few bikes in the back. What I did notice was a mattress in the middle of all the bikes and rubbish which he was quite obviously sleeping on last night. It looked a sorry state of affairs.

New bike ordered and deposit paid (ST1300). Not brand new and a few years older than the BM but only 28,000 miles on the clock, FSH and one owner. Rings a few bells actually! Should serve me well though, one hopes. The only issue is that I won't be picking it up until the 30th so Moffat is out of the question.

Where do I keep up to date with any further meets?

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:50 pm

...............New bike ordered and deposit paid (ST1300). Not brand new and a few years older than the BM but only 28,000 miles on the clock, FSH and one owner. Rings a few bells actually! Should serve me well though, one hopes. The only issue is that I won't be picking it up until the 30th so Moffat is out of the question.

Where do I keep up to date with any further meets?

If you are up at the caravan on Sunday 29th then come over to Moffat in the car! :smile:

Meets are usually advertised about a week beforehand so keep your eye open on the threads being posted.
There are not many official Meets after October but some of the guys will be out and may post in the 'Anybody Want to Join Me' section.

Some info about Club Events and Club Meets:

Official Club Events/Meets are normally reserved for Club Members but non-members can attend one or two Club events in order to see what the Club is like.
Contact the event organiser for temporary membership if you want to try out a Club Event/Meet.
Club Events/Meets are listed in the Events Calendar: http://www.bmridersclub.com/calendar.htm
Club Membership is £14 per annum if you decide to join.
http://www.bmridersclub.com/memberapp.htm

Some Meets, like the Northern Meet, were originally set up to allow Club members, Forum members and Friends of either to attend.
These meets are generally held in a public place such as a café or a tea room and they are also now published in the Events Calendar.
They are advertised in the 'General Motorcycle Chat' Section 5 days before the meet takes place.
If you search on past threads for 'Northern Meet' you will see the format and they usually contain a follow-up report on how the meet went and who attended.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Return to “K Series Q&A's”