1150RT brake system problems

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Stevesims663
Forum User
Country of Residence: Wales

1150RT brake system problems

Postby Stevesims663 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:15 pm

The only issue I have had is the often delayed system check on the ABS. It has often been slower than predicted in the manual. However, recent events have caused me a major concern with a possibly expensive repair needed. I was riding out of Cardiff during peak time, firstly the general warning light came on, followed 300 seconds later the brake failure light came on flashing slowly. I pulled over, let the bike cool, restarted and the lights had gone out. I rode for about 15 minutes, the both lights came on at the same time, general light in, brake system flashing slowly. I was half a mile from home so ride home more defensively. The following day I decided to check the brake fluid levels despite knowing they should not drop. The front brake reservoir is well overfull. The back brake level was also overfull, this is the first time since buying the bike I have checked the levels and have not put any fluid in. Can some ine advise me is the issue caused by the system overfill or is there an issue that needs a repair? There is no local BMW Motorad near me so need to travel about 20 miles to reach one. Obviously its an old bike and warrenty is not an issue so maybe a local bike shop can manage.

Lurchio
Forum User
Country of Residence: Spain

Re: 1150RT brake system problems

Postby Lurchio » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:00 pm

The sequence of the lights will be telling you the nature of the issue.Did the system go to residual braking.Check your manual relative to the sequence you are getting. I believe the iabs unit only has a LOW fluid warning system, so likely the problem is elsewhere. Which reservoir did you check, handlebar or iabs unit? Is Cardiff Motorrad still going? The workshop guy is ex Ryder BMW, and could help. Unless the local guys have knowledge of the bespoke iabs system, forget it. Your nearest is then probably Bath Road Motorcycles, Bristol I believe.
First step, use the manual to work out the fault warning sequence and defect it indicates, from what I understand from your post, if the general light is on and the lower light flashes every second, abs is not available in one of the circuits. Take a careful note of the EXACT light sequences and timings to confirm.

Stevesims663
Forum User

Postby Stevesims663 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:45 pm

Thanks for that, initially the general fault light came on first followed by the brake failure flash about thirty seconds later. The repeat occurance both lights came on together. I checked both reservoirs, the front system was so full it was only when I moved it around away from full lock could I see that it was not in fact empty. The brakes functioned well on using the front lever, I never really checked the rear to see if that was on residual braking though, I will try the cardiff motorrad to see if it still exists, thanks again for the advice.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:28 pm

It looks like you've got the iABS-1 (ABS3, ABSIII) electric servo system.

See the following link for iABS fault codes:
http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

There are FOUR brake fluid reservoirs:
Two for the front & rear CONTROL circuits i.e. the brake lever circuits.
Two in the Modulator for the front & rear WHEEL circuits i.e. the servo circuits.

To see how to correctly bleed/fill the CONTROL and the WHEEL circuits then see the following link:
http://advrider.com/index.php?resources ... ted&page=3
Look at the Resources marked 'ABS-3 Service v2.0' and 'ABS-3 Service Tool v1.0' - to download these photo-guide documents (resources) by Dana Hager you will need to be registered (Join) with ADVRider. If you do not join, then the document download will be inhibited (Download Not Available).
To Join ADVRider, select the 'Log in or Join' button on the top right of the page - you will be given a password which you can change later.

If your iABS-1 modulator is diagnosed as requiring replacement, then the cost of a new modulator is normally prohibitive in terms of the current value of the bike.
What most folks do in this circumstance is to remove the iABS-1 servo system modulator (but keeping the electronics module) and use the bike without the ABS. This procedure is quite common and known as a 'servectomy'.
The bike then retains normal hydraulic brakes front & rear but of course without any ABS function and linking.
Reports indicate that many people who have done the servectomy much prefer the normal hydraulic braking system to the iABS-1 servo system which, if it fails at speed, leaves the rider with only little 'residual' braking and much to be desired in terms of stopping power.

There are procedures/videos on the Internet on how to do this servectomy which can be done in a weekend by a DIY rider.
If a servectomy is performed then the Insurance company should be informed.
There is not normally any problem with this and little if any increase in premium.

Did you acquire your bike recently from a dealer?
If so, you should inform the dealer of the problem to see what he might do for you.
You should read the following before approaching the dealer:
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... rights-act
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

Stevesims663
Forum User

Postby Stevesims663 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:39 pm

I bought the bike in January and did not take any extended warranty for the bike so its probably not going to be sorted by them but thanks for the advice

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:21 pm

If the dealer you bought the bike from is a BMW dealer, then it might still be worth approaching them with the problem.
What you are experiencing is a very common problem with the iABS-1 system and the dealer will be very aware of it.

As you say, about 8 months has elapsed since you bought the bike and, should the worst have happened to the ABS system, then a repair bill of around £1500 for a new iABS-1 Modulator might be expected from a BMW dealer.

This cost is likely to be a sizable proportion of the current value of the bike plus you have also had 8 months use of the vehicle the cost of which would likely fall on you in any reimbursement under the Consumer Rights Act.
This is why 'servectomy' is often seen as the best solution to a failed iABS-1 Modulator.

If a BMW dealer is involved, what I would do is contact them and explain the problem you are experiencing.
See what they say and, if they appear sympathetic but say you are out of their warranty, tell them that you have researched this problem online and it appears that this is a common failure with this ABS system and that the residual braking could be a safety hazard.

Say that you believe that this is an inherent flaw in the ABS design and ask them if they would do a free BMW Diagnostic Computer test on the iABS-1 and give you the diagnostic printout. This would normally cost around £60.

If they do this and you see that there is indeed a Modulator failure (usually due to a pump pressure problem), then you know where you stand and need to consider if a 'servectomy' is the way to get your bike back on the road again.

If you did not purchase from a BMW dealer but from an Independent who does not have access to the BMW Diagnostic Computer, then it may still be possible to get an accurate fault diagnosis if the dealer has a GS-911 diagnostic tester.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

Buckswhispers
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby Buckswhispers » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:35 am

I am also experiencing the odd lights coming on every now and then. The servo is always whirring but it does become unnerving and you lose the trust in the system. I am considering the servo ectomy as I want brakes I can trust and the bike is not worth the large expense to have BMW fit new servo. Are there any good links or anyone who has done this successfully. I know I do not need to worry about the speedo as that's not connected to the ABS system its from the front wheel.
Cheers

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:27 am

Hi Buckswhispers,

It would be better if you copied your query on a new Topic on this forum as it is a bit different from the Topic raised by the original poster.

Doing this will give a better response to your query and avoid the risk of 'hijacking' the original Topic.

Thanks! :smile:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

geordiecarpenter
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby geordiecarpenter » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Just tried to get this, but now you cannot download it any more, so does anyone have this to share. As I've just discovered mine needs a bleed, as I've got a soft rear brake that takes a couple of pumps to get it working.

Mike D
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Mike D » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Bit long winded, but have a look at:

http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service/service_abs3.pdf

Mike

sykospain
Forum User
Country of Residence: Spain

Postby sykospain » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:59 pm

That DeHager maintenance sequence is brilliantly detailed. What a pain of a job though.
The iABS servo braking on these bikes is a real PITA when it goes wrong - a bad decision by Berlin instead of opting for a modern less-complicated system; a varied selection of alternative units was available at the time, but then in Berlin, pride did abide so they used their FHF pals instead of re-researching the market thoroughly.

There's a firm in Germany which daily does refurbishment jobs on these pump nightmares, if you're not of a mind to simply ditch the lot and buy the connecting unions set from MW to bypass the entire system.

https://s26.postimg.org/ki0jzp5hl/i_ABS_pump.jpg

The repair firm is run by an experienced electronics engineer Rainer Hutterer in the district of Göppingen in Baden-Württemberg in southern Germany
Pricey though -
https://rhelectronics.de/produkt/type-am1/
I have no connection whatsoever with the firm but I know a coupla different guys here in Spain who've used them with satisfaction. You can take a foto of your duff unit ( most likely an AM01 ) and fill in your details on this Contact page, which is also available een eengleesh....

https://rhelectronics.de/de/kontakt/

AL in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike.

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”