Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

goldy
Forum User
Country of Residence: uk

ABS Light problem.

Postby goldy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi.
Went for ride this afternoon and all was fine then the right hand ABS light started to flash the left hand was on constant, pulled over turned off and had a smoke. Set off again and the lights were the same BUT the brakes still work without any loss of stopping power.
Any ideas what could be the problem? Can still hear the servo working.
2001 R1150R
Thank you.

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Re: ABS Light problem.

Postby Jaythro » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Have you any history of Fluid changes ?

Sounds like a plunger or switch is stuck on a little Is the Brake light lit>?
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

goldy
Forum User

Postby goldy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:28 pm

Had the fluid changed in August last year and only done about 500 miles since. Brake light works but it's not stuck on. When the light started flashing I expected the brakes to be rubbish but they work just the same as before light came on.
Thanks for reply.

goldy
Forum User

Postby goldy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Bit of an update after further checking.
I've found that it appears the rear circuit is the one at fault as when the pedal is pressed there is no sound from the servo pump but can hear it working when the brake lever is pulled.
Does this extra information give anyone a clue as to what may be the problem?
Thank you.

kfrogzx7
Forum User

Postby kfrogzx7 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 pm

I think you need to check everything before leaping to any conclusions, you can get warning lights for brake light bulbs blown, dodgy brake light micro switches, dubious wiring contacts/connectors and low fluid levels etc etc
It could be something pretty innocuous like that OR it could be the beginning of the end of your abs/servo unit, particularly if you haven't got a history of regular fluid changes ?
Check all the simple things before panicking.
Simon
R1200st, R1100s, K100rs, R1150rs

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:49 pm

Check out the iABS Fault Codes below:
http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

goldy
Forum User

Postby goldy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:19 am

Cheers Ced. The table confirms my suspicion that the rear circuit is not working correctly ... Gen light on and ABS flashing 4 times/second.
The question now is how do I fix it?

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:02 am

Cheers Ced. The table confirms my suspicion that the rear circuit is not working correctly ... Gen light on and ABS flashing 4 times/second.
The question now is how do I fix it?

I can only suggest that you try a full iABS Brake Service (front & rear Control and Wheel circuits fluid change) in the slight hope that this might clear the problem.

Otherwise, the sensible option is to perform a complete 'Servectomy' to remove the ABS function from the bike.
DO NOT CUT ANY WIRES if doing this!
The ABS Electronic Controller sub-module should be unscrewed from the Modulator (Hydro Unit) AND RETAINED!

The ABS is then repiped to bypass the Modulator Unit which can be discarded.
Make up a weatherproof cover for the side of the Electronic Controller sub-module.
The ABS Controller connector plug is then merely plugged back into the Electronic Controller to retain the rear tail/brake light function without having to change brake switches or change the connector wiring.

After the Servectomy the brakes will function as a normal non-ABS hydraulic braking system and without any front/rear linking.
This makes brake maintenance a lot easier and many report that they are much happier with the brakes after a Servectomy.

Inform your Insurance Company of the change.

Jaythro (on the forum here) has done lots of Servectomies and can give you more information on the procedure.

Budget around £100 if doing it DIY.

Motorworks, Motobins and James Sherlock can supply the parts required.
See Motorworks 'Brake Line Splitter BRA50965A' for repiping the front brakes:
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 5_30_HA_90
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

goldy
Forum User

Postby goldy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:33 am

Cheers Ced. Just got back from Motorworks after picking up the front splitter link. Today's project is to rip the ABS off.
The annoying bit is that I only bought the bike last summer and the first job I had done was having the ABS all flushed out and serviced to try and avoid this very problem. The bike was put into hibernation over winter ( I don't do cold and wet ) and the second time out and only 500 miles later this happens. C'est la vie

goldy
Forum User

Postby goldy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:33 am

Cheers Ced. Just got back from Motorworks after picking up the front splitter link. Today's project is to rip the ABS off.
The annoying bit is that I only bought the bike last summer and the first job I had done was having the ABS all flushed out and serviced to try and avoid this very problem. The bike was put into hibernation over winter ( I don't do cold and wet ) and the second time out and only 500 miles later this happens. C'est la vie

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:48 am

Hi Goldy,

The iABS-1 (ABS3) system is notorious for failing as you describe.

I think you will be much happier with the bike after this system has been removed.

Jaythro is the person to contact re his procedure which he has previously posted on the forum - DON'T CUT ANY WIRES! :smile:

You may also need a longer rear brake hose.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

goldy
Forum User

Postby goldy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Life can be such a bitch sometimes. Got everything in place for the strip out but thought I'd give her one last check before ripping her guts out and guess what she performed perfectly,self check done,start off all lights out and rear circuit whining as it should.
I've had two Goldwings and three K1200LT Lux's and all had linked and power brakes and I loved the system on them all so decided to wait and see how the R1200R goes on next ride out.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Life can be such a bitch sometimes. Got everything in place for the strip out but thought I'd give her one last check before ripping her guts out and guess what she performed perfectly,self check done,start off all lights out and rear circuit whining as it should.
I've had two Goldwings and three K1200LT Lux's and all had linked and power brakes and I loved the system on them all so decided to wait and see how the R1200R goes on next ride out.

Typo? R1200R?
Presume you mean your 2001 R1150R?

Yes, it is worth giving it another chance as it has been lying unused for a period over the winter.

If it survives the season, I would do a full Control and Wheel circuit fluid change BEFORE the bike is next laid up over-winter.
This should be repeated each year.

Be aware when riding that if this system fails you may suffer severe loss of braking power on BOTH front and rear wheels so I think you need to rule out any riding on the limit, at least until you have regained confidence in the system.

Meantime, gather the procedure and parts required for a Servectomy just in case!

Fingers crossed - good luck!
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

goldy
Forum User

Postby goldy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Indeed it was a typo.
No riding on the limit for me anymore my old bones don't keep up.
I had all the fluids changed before putting her into hibernation last winter and if she last's this year out I'll have it done again but if not I'll take the ABS off.
Bit of a bummer as I do like the system and a bigger bummer is she's only done 20,000 miles from new.

goldy
Forum User

Postby goldy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:01 pm

Very disappointing,took her out for a ride in the sun and she did 139 faultless miles and then the bloody lights came on again.
No need to say what tomorrows job is.

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby andys » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:04 pm

My dealer told me that if a bike fitted with iABS has little or no history of fluid changes, and a flush service is performed, it can open a can of worms, due mainly to dirt in the system being dislodged.
It seems that your experience bears this out.

goldy
Forum User

Postby goldy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:11 pm

Don't know if it was the flush but whatever it was it won't happen again as I ripped the ABS unit out today. The job was easier than I thought the hardest bit was getting the one way screws out of the control unit but nothing a drill couldn't overcome.

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”