BMW clock.

Post your post 1970 technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

ithebruce
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

BMW clock.

Postby ithebruce » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:33 pm

Have a 1976 R100S,it is fitted with the original clock,the bike had been stored for a number of years,when i connect the clock it makes a ticking sound as if it's stuck ,but the secondhand is not moving,can these clocks be opened?, not sure how to proceed.Ian

John Marshall
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: BMW clock.

Postby John Marshall » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 pm

I'd try giving it some physical encouragement in the first instance, may be turning the adjustment knob at the same time. One of mine does this usually if I have had the battery off, but seems to respond to adjusting the time,then it comes back to life.

Rob Frankhamr
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Have a 1976 R100S,it is fitted with the original clock,the bike had been stored for a number of years,when i connect the clock it makes a ticking sound as if it's stuck ,but the secondhand is not moving,can these clocks be opened?, not sure how to proceed.Ian
It may be worth checkiing the supply voltage at the clock. They do this if the voltage is too low.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

ithebruce
Forum User

Postby ithebruce » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback...Rob,what would cause low voltage?Ian.

windmill john
Forum User
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:08 am

Bad earth, bad connections, probably not battery because that would affect other things.

John
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

adrian967
Forum User
Country of Residence: uk

Postby adrian967 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:36 am

Bad earth..on my 90s I connected to the earth on the clock then dabbed a wire to the engine case and it ran as it should.
Adrian

Rob Frankhamr
Forum User

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:04 pm

Bad earth, bad connections, probably not battery because that would affect other things.

John
+1

If you have a multimeter, set it on a +12v setting or the nearest you have and check for voltage between:
  1. The positive pole of the battery and the positive terminal at the clock (with the clock connected). If you get any significant reading, there is a bad connection in the positive line.
  2. The negative pole of the battery and the negative terminal on the clock (with the clock connected).If you get any significant reading, there is a bad connection in the ground path.
Also, if you make test connections direct from the clock to the battery and the clock works, that's a sure sign of a bad connection somewhere.

Hope that helps

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Jon S
Club Member 13

Postby Jon S » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:38 pm

A similar thing happened on my RT100. Sorted out by removing the clock and cleaning the contacts during the winter general maintenance programme. I also fixed a dodgy connection on the voltmeter and replaced the bulbs while I had my hands in the fairing dashboard.
JonS
"Never push a full commode" :grin:

John Marshall
Forum User

Postby John Marshall » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:29 pm

A friend of mine had this on a R90S and the thing that fixed it was in a gale a big branch fell on him . Didn't do much for the fairing though but the clock sprang into action.Actually he has had this happen twice. I avoid riding with him on windy days.
john

ithebruce
Forum User

Postby ithebruce » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:28 pm

Rob,connected the clock to battery....got a spark but no clock movement.

Rob Frankhamr
Forum User

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:16 pm

Oh, that's not good.

You could try opening the housing...

I have done this by gently easing the edge of the lens bezel until the whole thing can be lifted off the can. I used a small blade scredriver and a knife to do this. The mechanisn can then be removed from the canister(two screws in the bottom of the can if I recall). A touch of light lubricant might free up the mechanism if there's no obvious cause for the problem.

If you've removed the bezel very carefully, you can normally get it to go back without looking too bad. In the past, I have put the whole assembled unit into a vice, protecting the bezel with a piece of wood and using a socket as a spacer on the rear end to avoid damaging the commectors. The vice was used to compress the rubber seal. A piece of hardwood and a small hammer was then used to turn the edges of the bezel over and hold the whole thing together.

The watchwords for this process are 'gently' and 'carefully'. If you ruin the bezel you won't be able to get a replacement. That being said, you might as well try it because the clock is useless as it is.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi
there are clock repairers who can do the job.

Can you post pictures of the bezel if it goes wrong? I occasionally meet someone who may have ideas about getting a replacement so when I have the pictures I will ask

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

ithebruce
Forum User

Postby ithebruce » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi thanks for all the info,will look into it,as some may know i had relay problem which was solved...however now the lights work and everything else does not,no dash lights though,i have some serious electrical gremlins,so the clock is on the back burner.Ian.

Mark Esposito
Forum User
Country of Residence: Wales

Postby Mark Esposito » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:50 am

Does anyone know the impact the clock has on a unused bikes battery, the current draw and how long before the battery drops below its capacity to start the bike / drains the battery completely ?
I've long wondered if the clock was the cause of my previous discharged battery problems.

Mark

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

I have 1985 BMW R80 RT monolever & a 1988 R80 RT in case i forget to mention it when asking a question !

John Marshall
Forum User

Postby John Marshall » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:49 pm

The clock will drain a battery over time on an unused BMW Airhead. Don't know how long it takes.Depends on if the battery was fully charged and it's condition overall. If it's left for a few weeks I'd expect to trickle charge it.Also the starter motor might be tired.It all adds up over time.If I am away for a bit I usually disconnect the battery.Conversely another bike with no clock never needs charging...for 11 years on the same battery too.
John

Mark Esposito
Forum User
Country of Residence: Wales

Postby Mark Esposito » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:01 pm

Thanks John, I found my bike with the working clock had way more battery problems than the one with the non working clock, I've now disconnected the clock while I'm not using it for any period over 2 weeks and I've been looking for a traditional looking but electronic clock with minimal current drain.
The Harley guys in adjacent garages to mine say they have similar battery problems caused by their alarms.

Mark

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

I have 1985 BMW R80 RT monolever & a 1988 R80 RT in case i forget to mention it when asking a question !

Return to “Airhead Q&A's”