Post your post 1970 technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Sharpish
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

R80RT for A2 license

Postby Sharpish » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Hey,

At the moment I'm currently on my CBT, but I am looking to get my A2 in the coming months. Naturally, I've been looking at what I might be able to ride after that, as my '83 Suzuki GS125 does leave quite a bit to be desired.

In the interests of saving a bit of money, I looked up my dad's 1986 R80RT to see whether it would be eligible under an A2, and the results so far look promising. When it was new, it produced an alleged 50hp, but I am almost sure at least 3 have gone since (I'll still probably take it in for a tachograph if I decide to use it, just for peace of mind). It also had a fairly low seat (I'm about 6'2", so not short, but I figure being a bit closer to the ground would probably help me get used to holding a larger bike upright).

I thought I would just ask you all what you thought about using this as my first big bike, as It's been mothballed for a few years, having an occasional battery charge, so it'll need a bit of TLC to get onto the road. Again, I'd likely be using it mostly as a commuter (I live in the countryside, so it's mostly open road from my house to where I'm headed), but I'd love to try a bit of touring on the side.

Thanks!

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Re: R80RT for A2 license

Postby george baker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi
it is a BIG Beast but when you get used to it perfectly usable, low and well balanced, for a first big bike.

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as I understand it, the bike must be officially restricted, a dyno test won't be accepted as proof of meeting the legal requirement.
See https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-test/moto ... ou-can-use

Keith
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
Kawasaki Versys 650

Sharpish
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Sharpish » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:50 pm

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as I understand it, the bike must be officially restricted, a dyno test won't be accepted as proof of meeting the legal requirement.
See https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-test/moto ... ou-can-use

Keith
From what I understand that's merely if you take a bike to do the A2 test on. That's the impression I get from your link, at least.

Richard(Sande)Sanders
Forum User
Country of Residence: Havant, England

Postby Richard(Sande)Sanders » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:53 pm

My son is doing his A2 (mod 2) on Friday & looking to get a
CBR500R as his next bike. He is also around 6' 2" tall. Meets
the legal bits for A2 license, & better for getting around than
his 125 Varadero

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi Sharpish,
I agree at the bike must meet category A2 to enable the test to be taken but passing the test stil only allows you to ride an A2 compliant bike and this is where it gets murky. It appears that there is no legal requirement to have a certificate proving power output but it seem be the case that the bike must either be designed as A2 compliant or be restricted to A2. What is not clear is whether 'natural wastage due to age' is acceptable. Apparently, if it came to the attention of the law, the police would dyno test the bike as the ultimate decider of eligibility, so doing that in the first place might be a good idea, which closes the circle :grin:
Keith
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
Kawasaki Versys 650

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi
Mike Pace may know what the law says

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Postby kent_instructor10 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:46 pm

The list of test motorcycles on the gov.uk website is purely what is acceptable to be presented at test, and proof of restriction is needed for test.

As for riding an A2, even the driving licence regs dont seem to clarify the situation, merely specifying 35kw and having power to weight ration not exceeding 0.2kw/kg.

In the case of legal dispute, police or insurance company would have to have the machine tested. If it were over the limit then offence of no licence and no insurance. Under the limit, no offence.

Often legislation is ambiguous and in those cases it is for a court to decide, which provides "stated case" law.

Natural wastage may be ok, but if on the limit and later new parts or a good service and tune up are carried out to keep in good running order, the power may go back up towards factory spec, then the risk of being unlicenced increases.

Best bet is to get an approved tech to restrict and issue a certificate. Then you know you are legal. I believe some european models were factory restricted to 33kw, no problem there!

As regards weight and being able to control it, i wouldnt worry. Our a2 training bikes are about 210kg and even shorter stature riders get to grips with them, if you are trained well and reach a good standard of competence, i cant see riding an r80 as too difficult. You may find the character of an older twin different to your bike in training, but with time and care the r80 should be good fun. An r80rt was my planned big bike when i passed my test back in 1987 but sadly then cars took over! I got one in 96 and it was manageable.
Good luck with your training and tests.
Now: 2013 R1200RT SE; 2012 R1200GS Triple Black; Previously: K1100RS, R1200RTPx2, R1100RTPx2, R1100RT, R80RT, K100LT and Jap stuff!
http://www.invictamotorcycletraining.co.uk

Artie McMurray
Forum User

Postby Artie McMurray » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:57 pm

I have no knowledge of licence requirements but when I purchased my 1992 R80RT a number of years ago I discovered among the documents that came with the bike a certificate from a local dealer, this showed that restrictors had been fitted. On investigation I discovered that, what can only be described as large washers had been fitted to the induction stubs. Having ridden the bike for a while before the discovery was made and since they were removed I could find no discernible difference in in performance.

So if you have to go down the restriction route for a period of time it shouldn't be too big an issue.
Artie

78 R45

92 R80 RT

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:46 pm

I obviously can't answer the riding permit situation, but since you didn't really ask about that and everybody else chipped in with what sounds like sound advice, I won't bother.

As for the R80RT, if the bike has been stored for several years, bear in mind a top end job might be necessary, most seals and gaskets having deteriorated over time. A expensive feat if you don't do it yourself.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W650 "Twin with a kick"

Return to “Airhead Q&A's”