R65 on the Road Again....issues?

Post your post 1970 technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

martinwR65
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: UK

R65 on the Road Again....issues?

Postby martinwR65 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 pm

I'd welcome some opinions on a couple of issues if anyone has the time? As a long time Jap biker, I have thoughts on these things, but I'm keen to discuss :smile:

My 78 R65, which I recently sought advice about (stripped plug thread and missing airbox bits...thanks for the replies on those) is now back on the road and I've managed to clock up a few miles on it. I have a couple of problems.....(insert joke)....no, the bike...

1. The engine runs on a bit after closing the throttle. I've fitted new carb/head rubbers, and stripped and cleaned the carbs and fitted an overhaul kit from Motorworks. I've timed the ignition and balanced the carbs and otherwise serviced the bike. Now on other bikes I've worked on, I'd be looking for an air leak between carb and head, or an internal leak inside the carb (split diaphragm?). I did notice that after fitting the new diaphragms, the slides were slow to return when raised manually. This makes me wonder about the quality of the (pattern?) diaphragms; are they known to be iffy? Certainly for a Jap bike I'd always be reluctant to use pattern diaphragms.
Or is it some other cause? I notice of course that there are no return springs, which can't help.

2. The clutch is very grabby, and squeals a bit, especially after about 20-30 minutes riding. New clutch plate? Or just grease the splines? There seems to be a lot of backlash in the transmission, which worries me. Is that a bad sign?

3. The (single disc) front brake is, erm, not great. It will stop, but needs a very firm hand. The caliper has been rebuilt, new fluid and new hoses, and a new EBC disc and new EBC pads. It still doesn't inspire confidence. Are they all like that? It's done enough to bed in I think, but isn't improving now after an initial period. The lever doesn't come back very far, not enough really for a small hand like mine. Shall I fit the second disc?

4. The handling. It's generally stable, but weaves a little and feels like it's about to topple. Something has play in it I think, steering head bearings or swinging arm? Any thoughts? The front tyre is a Conti Go and the rear is an ME77, half worn. I've got the pressures fairly high, which seems to help. Of course I'm working my way through the whole bike, so I'll find it eventually, but again, I'd appreciate the opinions of those more knowledgeable on this model.

Any thoughts and opinions gratefully received! Thanks :)
Powered by propeller shoes, flying sub ahoy!

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Re: R65 on the Road Again....issues?

Postby windmill john » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:58 am

I have the same model, albeit 1980.

Get your return springs fitted.
Like you I thought of inlet stubs re fast idle. Given up worrying but you could check your bob weights.
I got some harder diaphragms, it's hard to say if they are are the issue, but since fitting them and at the same time new floats, my idle is not perfect. But it is good enough that I've stopped stressing about it..... except when riding :wink:

Clutch splines may need lubing. Slip can be checked by snapping the throttle open at speed and seeing if the bike pulls or the revs go up without pulling.

People will discuss the master cylinder size, can't remember but they are 13mm or 16mm. I had the correct one but the brake did feel wooden, very little movement.
What I did which sorted out the pull perfectly (this is what I did and I stress it was personal) I filed down the brake lever where it meet the M/C piston. Make sure you keep it round and smooth. This was a brilliant fix which meant the lever was closer to my hand before braking.
Note, I have a drum brake fitted now.

If your rear tyre is worn, it will cause it to tip into corners more.
Grab yourself a Clymer manual and check your head bearings. If these are loose you will a slight weave/uncertainty in straight line riding. Swinging arm? Get it on he main stand and grab the rear wheel and see if you can detect any movement. But I'd look at head bearings and tyres.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Friedrich 1993 R80RT - a Percheron, but can still mix it with the rest.

barryh
Forum User

Postby barryh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:02 pm

1. The carbs if original will be flat tops and they never did have springs fitted. No harm in trying though but before you do just try dropping the idle to 800 RPM and see if it fixes the problem.

2. A grabby clutch is not unusual when a bike has been out of use for some time but would normally improve. Getting worse after 20-30mins is odd though. There are a number of things that can cause excessive backlash in the transmission. There are spring loaded shock absorbers in both the gearbox and the drive shaft which could be faulty. Some backlash in the final drive is normal but there are also splines between the final drive and rear wheel which can wear.

3. The early model with ATE caliper has a particularly low master cylinder to caliper piston ratio which gives it a very firm lever but not a very inspiring brake. The master cylinder changed from 13mm to 12mm in 81. That doesn't sound much but it ups the ratio from 15.3 to 18 although 18 still isn't wonderful. Basically BMW were excessively conservative by modern standards. So you either need a smaller master cylinder or a 2nd disc which would normally be matched with a 16mm master cylinder giving a ratio of 20.25. Some have used smaller than 16mm for an even higher ratio with good results.

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:49 pm

I thought he meant throttle cable return springs, not the slide ones!

barryh
Forum User

Postby barryh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:45 pm

I thought he meant throttle cable return springs, not the slide ones!
Ah ! No throttle return springs would cause a problem. They are a bit on the strong side but taking them off altogether would be going too far.

This thread might have hit on a reason why experience with after market diaphragms is variable. Perhaps they work OK on normal dome top Bings with the slide return springs (and there are two strengths of those) but might struggle on flat tops where slide return is by gravity alone. Come to think of it one of the few poor reports I've read on after market diaphragms was on a flat top equipped bike.

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:03 pm

It's a good point Barry. As these diaphragms have not detached yet, I'll leave them. But the next time I replace, I'll go back to the other type.

However, saying that, being a bit stiffer, I have a feeling they may not detach so readily from under the top plastic ring; the other type did about once a year, mostly one side.

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:23 am

He's got a few problems too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W79x_WuvQ5Y
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W650 "Twin with a kick"

martinwR65
Club Member 12

Postby martinwR65 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:39 am

Well, thanks for the replies, here's an update:

Yesterday I stripped, cleaned and lubed the bobweights. This made an instant improvement to the idling, although still not quite right. Using the gears/clutch to bring the RPM down shows that it's the ignition to blame, and tweaking the carbs makes no difference. The bike idles well around 8-900 rpm. After a long fast run, the idling is slower to return than I'd like, but most of the time it's tolerable.
I have ordered a Boyer Bransden ignition system, which I know will split opinions, but I've used them a fair bit in the past with no issues, so I'm comfortable having a go. (Also ordered an Electrex reg/rec so a wiring session on the cards for me). The BB will eliminate the bobweight issue.

The brake might have improved marginally; still not great, but ok for general pottering. I might have a look at filing the lever slightly, as described John, but wouldn't that also create some free play in the mechanism? The back brake is weak too, even a really hard stomp won't come close to locking the back wheel. Is that normal? A more powerful back brake would provide some reassurance!

The clutch definitely has improved with riding, although it still squeaks a bit when warm. Less grabby though now, you were right on that, Barry. I have scheduled in a spline lube session and will investigate the condition of the plate.

I've had a really good look at the back tyre, and will get a new one. It's not totally worn out, but is very old, so any comment on the handling will wait till that's done. The front is a Conti Go! (stupid name, sounds like a shopping moped from the 80s) so I am tending towards a matching rear. There's no obvious play in the steering head or swing arm.

Starting isn't great.....it always starts on one cylinder...doesn't seem to like much choke...

All told though, I've been out for a couple of decent rides on the bike now and am really enjoying it! I've fitted half-rise bars, and it's extremely comfortable, purring along at 70mph/4000rpm very smoothly like it would do it all day.

barryh
Forum User

Postby barryh » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:45 pm

Yours being a 78 bike has just rung a bell when you mentioned it doesn't like much choke.

Frankly I considered the enricher on my 79 to be completely hopeless having an all or nothing type of response. I avoided it like the plague in the summer.

You can improve it. If you've had the enrichers apart you might have noticed the first of the four fuel holes is undrilled. BMW issued a service bulletin to modify the enricher discs which involve drilling out the blank hole 0.6mm and enlarging the counter bores on all of the fuel holes. It assume that was done to make operation more progressive. It certainly made an vast difference to mine and it actually works now.

When you get it right starting should be instant, you hit the button and it should start with no perceptible delay. Mine does that on a daily. basis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Filing the lever only introduces a gap between the lever and mechanism, so no worries.
Rear wheel can be locked up, so strip it, clean it.
Remove the brake pivot and clean the shaft, lube etc. Check shoes.
Don't be one of those people who poo poos rear drum brakes, it only provides generally, 25% of overall braking, up to 50% in bad weather. Look at Moto GP, rear tyre is off the floor when they are braking.

A couple of points you mention still point to a good carb strip and clean.

This is an Airhead, if you don't have issues with carbs, your lying :smile:

I love my R65. A very different ride to my R80RT.

Schorsch, my R65, can be very frisky :grin: I alway used to ride my BMs sedately, thinking that is the only way, but even though they are simple mechanically, heavy and look quite agricultural, they handle verrrrrrrrry nicely. At the end of the day, Schorsch the original, that's Georg Meier did win the 1939 'TT I think minutes faster than any other \:D/ I believe Norton may not have been there that year, but don't start me off, I'm not into racing, so my knowledge is limited.

martinwR65
Club Member 12

Postby martinwR65 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:22 pm

You can improve it. If you've had the enrichers apart you might have noticed the first of the four fuel holes is undrilled. BMW issued a service bulletin to modify the enricher discs which involve drilling out the blank hole 0.6mm and enlarging the counter bores on all of the fuel holes. It assume that was done to make operation more progressive. It certainly made an vast difference to mine and it actually works now.
Many thanks Barry, I will have a look at that.
Filing the lever only introduces a gap between the lever and mechanism, so no worries.
Yes, but still adding play into the system? Wouldn't the lever then rattle about? So the first bit of pull on the lever is you taking up the play?
I've put a wanted ad up for a second caliper!
Rear wheel can be locked up, so strip it, clean it.
Will do.
A couple of points you mention still point to a good carb strip and clean.
Yes, I'll be having another look. Thanks.

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:54 am

I never noticed any rattle in the brake lever.

I saw your ad wanting a second calliper. I have to say when I had one disk on Schorsch, I thought the braking was good enough, but that is a personal opinion of course. Just trying to save you money.

martinwR65
Club Member 12

Postby martinwR65 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:56 pm

I saw your ad wanting a second calliper. I have to say when I had one disk on Schorsch, I thought the braking was good enough, but that is a personal opinion of course. Just trying to save you money.
Maybe when I have serviced the back brake, I will agree with you! :)
At the moment, I would go as far as saying that, by modern standards, the braking is not 100% safe (on my bike, with me riding). I have smaller hands, and find that it is a stretch to reach the lever and it requires a lot of effort for an emergency stop. Even with maximum effort, there is zero chance of locking the front wheel. (Not my aim of course, just a measure of braking ability).

Now this is well and good most of the time, but what about an emergency stop? Or even unexpectedly heavy braking due to the actions of another road user?

Now, bear in mind my other bike is a 1979 Suzuki GS750 based special, modified with 4-piston Tokico calipers, and it's braking is superb, powerful but with lots of feel, so you can brake really hard with just the right amount of effort, and even in the wet, little danger of falling off.

Of course, you couldn't just have loads of braking power with a fairly narrow tyre up front, but even so, and by the standards of the 1970s, the standard GS750 twin-disc, sliding-caliper front brakes, not renowned even in their time as being the best, were superior to my R65s.

BTW, as an engineer and an experienced motorcyclist, I'm sure the brake is working as intended. The disc and pads are new EBC, and the caliper has been rebuilt.

Anyhoo, I rather doubt that anyone has spare ATE calipers lying about, so I'll probably just live with it, and look at dressing a little off the actuation point.

[Incidentally, I improved the braking of my GS1000S in a similar manner; I moved the master cylinder/lever assembly 15mm up the handlebars, as far as it would go, thus presenting a 'nearer' part of the brake lever to my fingers, with a marked improvement in braking).