R45's general query.

Post your post 1970 technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

brennain1
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

R45's general query.

Postby brennain1 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:21 pm

Am not sure if this is in the right section but here goes. Having never ridden I was wondering what folks thoughts were on the R45's. Is it a bike worth having and what's it like to ride? Cheers, Brendan.

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Re: R45's general query.

Postby windmill john » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:51 am

Hi Brendan,

You will get a number of people who say it is under powered; maybe so.
However, the great thing is, it is one of the most affordable Airheads.
So, if you were flush further down the line and the R45 being identical to the R65 except for barrels heads and carbs, you could purchase a Siebenrock kit. Yes, it is a £1000!! However, you would then have a bike faster than the R65 and you could laugh at the naysayers :grin:

To answer your question more accurately, I have the R65, identical in most ways just faster. If you want a bike easy to work on, small and practical, go for it.

John
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Friedrich 1993 R80RT - a Percheron, but can still mix it with the rest.

barryh
Forum User

Postby barryh » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:26 am

It depends what you want it for. I've used an R45 as a commuter for 10 years, a task to which it's ideally suited. For pleasure I prefer quiet country lanes at 50 mph to motorways although if you must, It will cruise all day on the motorway at 70 mph but there's not much in reserve.

Plus points over an R65 is that it's a little smoother and more economical. I'm going for a run this morning and I know with certainty it will return 75 MPG.
On the other hand if you value a higher top speed and faster acceleration then you need the R65.

The real failing of the R45 is it's a little heavy for it's 35 HP and would have been a nicer bike if it weighed 50lbs less. By the same token if the rider is above average weight it will not flatter the performance of an R45.

martinwR65
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: UK

Postby martinwR65 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:08 pm

I've never had an R45, but would have happily had one instead of the R65 that came up for sale and I bought.
I have had plenty of 'underpowered' bikes; one of my best memories is a GC125 I had), so whether or not the R45 is a good bike would depend on your own attitude to speed and power I would have thought? :smile:
Powered by propeller shoes, flying sub ahoy!

brennain1
Forum User

Postby brennain1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Although I prefer A & B roads to plod along and enjoy the scenery it does sound like it would be best to hedge my bets and go for a 65. I've had an R80RT in the past and that was a lovely machine but I'm after something lighter and more nimble.

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:38 pm

Although I prefer A & B roads to plod along and enjoy the scenery it does sound like it would be best to hedge my bets and go for a 65. I've had an R80RT in the past and that was a lovely machine but I'm after something lighter and more nimble.

Yes Schorsch is more flickable and lighter than Friedrich. Very different bikes and both lovely in their own ways.

I wouldn't question Schorsch taking me round the World, but when on major arteries, Friedrich just lopes along.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Friedrich 1993 R80RT - a Percheron, but can still mix it with the rest.

brennain1
Forum User

Postby brennain1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:46 am

Sorry to hear about your woes Martin, was it an EBay buy the R65? I've been following your posts and have to say you've been damned unlucky. Stick with it though and I'm sure you'll get it sorted 👍.

martinwR65
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: UK

Postby martinwR65 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Sorry to hear about your woes Martin, was it an EBay buy the R65? I've been following your posts and have to say you've been damned unlucky. Stick with it though and I'm sure you'll get it sorted 👍.
Yes, bought it on eBay, sight-unseen, my own stupid fault. :oops: I was abroad in the US, rode my cousin's husband's 1980 R65 (restricted to 80mph, actually struggled to do more than 70!) and thoroughly enjoyed it, got carried away and bought the first one I saw. Seemed ok in the (small) pictures, and I got no response when I asked for some more pictures, which should have been a warning, although I did get some nice words!

Once I'd bought and paid for it, I had a lovely conversation with a 70 year old gent (his son was selling it for him), however he turned out to be, well, this is a public space, so I can't say what I think of him. :---)
The bike was described as "good condition" and in the conversation he described how he'd lovingly maintained it. :lol:
As it's turned out, everything, absolutely everything, has needed doing. Although the bike started and could be ridden, you'd have had to be a complete moron not to realise that it had some serious issues. How it had a 2 month old MOT is hard to explain.

However, I've gone too far now to stop, and will get it all sorted....I'm not a quitter! Then, I will have a very nice, early (Oct 78) R65, and I'll have laid spanners on 98% of it!