R65. Gauge pod plastic removing without changing instruments.

Post your post 1970 technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

marioav
Forum User
Country of Residence: Spain

R65. Gauge pod plastic removing without changing instruments.

Postby marioav » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:09 am

Hello, everyone. I am happy new owner of 1981 R65 I bought a month ago. This is my very first BMW and just second motorbike I have.
During first 2 weeks I rode about 1400 km on I and love it very much, then went to local mechanic to check and fix some problems
I figured while rode it and soon it will come back to me all cleaned, re-sealed, carb-tuned and etc.
I don't have any plan to turn it out to cafe racer so will keep it as it is.

But wanted to ask you about other, annoying thing for me. As you know, R65 has quite ugly big plastic cover over its dashboard.
A part of its ugliness it also doesn't give any chance to mount GPS or phone on handle bar so I would like to remove it.
Tried to search over the internet but can not find any picture or feedback of that process. All I can find is total changing of all instruments,
that I would not like to do now or earlier version of R65 (before 1979) when they had just one small plastic cover only on handlebar, below speedo and tacho gauges, that you could easily remove. But I have this solid big piece of plastic that seems to be glued to gauges.

Maybe someone of you removed this cover and saved original gauges — I would be very appreciate if you show some pictures of your bike and share your experience — is there some problem with wires to re-route or whatever.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

barryh
Forum User

Re: R65. Gauge pod plastic removing without changing instruments.

Postby barryh » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:41 am

Removing the instrument surround is easy enough but it will look very ugly as the instrument bodies and mounting brackets were not designed to be seen.

Detach the lower front cover by removing two screws. The main cowl is held in place by a threaded ring on the ignition switch plus two spring clips underneath which are best released first using a large screw driver. The right handle bar lever may need to be rotated to create clearance. Ease the cowl upwards off the instruments taking care not to cause any damage. If the cowl is in perfect condition it will be readily saleable as many of these have now split due to careless removal.

The cowl was a late 70's feature designed with safety in mind should the riders head crash into it. The folding key that presents a flat surface completes the design intent.

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:51 pm

By the way, that 'ugly' surround (your words) is easily worth £90 second hand......
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Friedrich 1993 R80RT - a Percheron, but can still mix it with the rest.

marioav
Forum User

Postby marioav » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Removing the instrument surround is easy enough but it will look very ugly as the instrument bodies and mounting brackets were not designed to be seen.
That I am afraid for. Earlier version of gauges looked better. Are they interchangeable?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marioav
Forum User

Postby marioav » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:52 pm

By the way, that 'ugly' surround (your words) is easily worth £90 second hand......
It means I could sell it. I really dislike this part on that bike - everything so solid, square and well designed and this huge piece of plastic ruins everything for me. I understand its safety purpose and thing the bmw engineers did great work there but it is only part of bike I dojn't like and I would like to fix that.

barryh
Forum User

Postby barryh » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Yes I like the look of the earlier instrument too.

Anything is possible if you are prepared to fabricate mounting brackets but even then there are some practicalities to be aware of. You would have to find a speedo with the correct ratio matched to your final drive if such a thing exists. Look carefully at the picture you posted. That speedo has a ratio of W 1186 which means it's matched to a 32/10 final drive. Compare that with your speedo which will certainly have a different ratio. Also make sure to get an electronic tachometer as some earlier ones were mechanically driven.

martinwR65
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: UK

Postby martinwR65 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:43 pm

I like the surround, it gives the bike it's own unique character.
Lots of bikes have similar instruments to the one pictured above. The R65 is special!