Help needed please...

Post your Veteran, Vintage & Classic queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Dad's bike

Help needed please...

Postby Dad's bike » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Due to rapidly failing health my dad wants to sell his immaculate pearl white 1983 BMW R100RS-series 7, he is only the 2nd owner and it has less than 19,000 on the clock, it comes with 2 Craven panniers. We're not sure what to ask for it, he's thinking £4,000, is this near the mark do you think? comments welcome...Thank you.

Lolo
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Portugal

Re: Help needed please...

Postby Lolo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Hi and welcome :smile: glad you got my email :smile: Im sure you will get some useful advice from people in the know :smile:
Living the dream :sunny:

Dad's bike

Postby Dad's bike » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks Lolo,it's all a bit daunting!
I hope so.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:54 am

Hi
try eBay to see what they have gone for recently. It will depend on condition.

Have you history--service records and MoTs?

I did not know there was a /7 RS, was it made for thr the PO by the factory?

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Dad's bike

Postby Dad's bike » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:31 am

Thanks George
The condition is immaculate and he's only the 2nd owner - has maintainence records from new and I'm guessing MOT's as he is so organised! Will have to check about the series 7 bit...I'm just the ignorant messenger girl!

Dad's bike

Postby Dad's bike » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi George, checked with Dad and there was definitely a seventh series made. The end of the line.

Rob Frankhamr
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:28 pm

The /7 designation was never applied to the RS model and was only applicable to machines made between the 1977 model year and the 1980 model year (that is to say Sept '76 and Sept '79).

That being said, it is not unusual for people to refer to all models made after 1976 to be (incorrectly) referred to as /7.

Incidentally, it does not refer to the seventh series of designs. while the /7 series followed the /6 and the /6 followed the /5, that's as far as it goes. Before that, the 'slash' designation had a different meaning. It was used to differentiate different consecutive models in the same engine size so (for example). the R26/3 was in production at the same time as the R60/2 and they were completely different designs. The R26/2 was a linear forerunner of the R26/3 but had very little connection to the R60/2. As far as I'm aware, the /4 designation was never used.

In reality it probably isn't enormously important. Most people who might be interested in the machine will know what an '83 R100RS is.

For what it's worth, I'm afraid I think your dads value estimate might be a bit optimistic. Good R100RS machines of that era change hands in the region of £2500. If the machine is stock, immaculate, has full service history and needs no work, you might get a bit more than that but it would need to be good. Sadly, I'm pretty sure that the '83 model didn't come in pearlescent white and, while a repaint might make for a very nice looking machine, the fact is that it does nothing for the value.

My advice would be to look around the motorcycle sales sites to see what the bikes are going for then pitch your asking price accordingly. Remember many of the ads will be commercial and you won't get so much for a private sale.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but I wouldn't expect to get a lot of interest for the bike priced at £4000.

Good luck

Rob
Robin Frankham
Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Dad's bike

Postby Dad's bike » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks for that... I guessed he was being very optimistic. The paper work comes with series 7 written on it.

Fred
Forum User
Country of Residence: South Africa

Help needed please...

Postby Fred » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:58 am

I have a bike but do not know if it is an original or a replica of a BMW bike.

Any info on what to look for and value will be greatlybe appropriated. Is this a CJ or a R71?

Here are some photo's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi Fred welcome.

This is not a rebuke but a heads up, you would be better starting your own thread rather than reviving a zombie cos you will get more views

I dont know what the bike is, could there be an identification plate somewhere?

George

CaptAirhead
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby CaptAirhead » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:25 pm

It is either a genuine BMW R71 or a Russian IMZ M-72 or a Chang Jiang which was a Chinese copy of the IMZ.
Reenactors and film companies often use Ural/Cossack/Dnepr/Chang Jiang bikes and tart them up to look like BMW's.
As George says, check the VIN or ID plate.
Ian.
If you don't make mistakes, then you aren't trying hard enough!

1979 BMW R80/7 (ex-Police)
2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi[
deleted cos I did not read the previous post correctly

George

Return to “Veteran, Vintage & Classic Q&A's (Pre /5)”