Making a motorcycle seat more comfy!

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

farmerboy
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: UK

Making a motorcycle seat more comfy!

Postby farmerboy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:21 pm

I found this interesting and decided to give it a go... http://diymotorcycleseat.com/modify/

Here are the results... https://goo.gl/photos/QeZXW1y6F3LNu22t6

Not ridden a long journey yet but it seems fine just sitting on it! A lot easier than I thought and hopefully will be a success.
2006 R1200 RT
Grey

2000 Cagiva Navigator TL1000S
Red

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Green (kept in Texas)

John

Teetwothousand
Forum User
Country of Residence: Nr Thirsk, UK

Re: Making a motorcycle seat more comfy!

Postby Teetwothousand » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi John
I had similar problems with my seat...pain in the **** after 2 hours or so. I recently had it changed by a local upholsterer - he added some extra foam under the original foam and only in the driver seat area. This meant that the shape is the same, the cover fitted back fine and has the effect of both making the seat firmer because ( it is more compressed) and keeping my tailbone a little further away from the seat base. Note that my seat is(was) a lowered one and so had less foam and a 'scoopy' shape. All for £20 squids :-)

I have not ridden 2 hours on it yet but have had a few regular days out and so far it is fine and gives me confidence that it will be better.

I am looking forward to catching up with you when you get back
F650 GS (800twin)

farmerboy
Club Member 12

Postby farmerboy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Just back and suffering jet lag!
I brought the seat back with me and spent the afternoon messing about with it! That particular seat tips me forward and is a bit too tall so I removed copious amounts of foam from the underside and replaced with about half as much high density stuff. I often get sore "bum bones" on my RT and may consider this mod if it proves worthwhile. The stock foam is very squidgy!

Cannot wait for a ride out and get together... next sunny day!
2006 R1200 RT
Grey

Red

Green (kept in Texas)

John

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby milleplod » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:07 am

My ST's seat isn't the most comfy of things over long distances (the comfiest seat ever was on my Aprilia Futura), and I spent ages looking at possible solutions, most of them being expensive! Then I had a moment of inspiration (alright, I read it somewhere.....) and bought a pair of pedal-cyclist's gel-padded shorts - what a revelation! They were about £20 - although you can spend much more - and the difference they've made is unbelievable. They're light enough to fit under my trousers too. Worth considering if you don't fancy having your seat rebuilt.

Pete
'L'enfer, c'est les autres'.

farmerboy
Club Member 12

Postby farmerboy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:20 am

Yes, I have tried a pair and unfortunately they did not work for me. A lot swear by then though.
2006 R1200 RT
Grey

Red

Green (kept in Texas)

John

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:30 am

I had the silicone pads strapped to the seat and we used them for a few years but still had some sore bits!. Now we used a sheep skin over my seat. Just place it over and strap it down with a bungy cord.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the old goat!!!!

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby milleplod » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:51 pm

I had the silicone pads strapped to the seat and we used them for a few years but still had some sore bits!. Now we used a sheep skin over my seat. Just place it over and strap it down with a bungy cord.
I've often wondered about trying a piece of sheepskin. Has it made much difference for you on longer runs? I've got a trip to Spain at the end of May, the longest days will be around 350 miles - my backside's built-in limit seems to be around 150 these days!

Pete
'L'enfer, c'est les autres'.

farmerboy
Club Member 12

Postby farmerboy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:25 pm

I used an Alaska Sheepskin seat pad in Texas and it was wonderful on a hot day and surprisingly comfy. Only did about 100 miles but I thought it was excellent.

I also tried a bead rider seat pad which was great in hot weather... keeps your bum cool! I shall be taking both on my ride to Alaska so will be able to give a better evaluation then...

Oh... I have also ordered an Air Hawk seat pad.... do you get the feeling I hate a sore backside! :)
2006 R1200 RT
Grey

Red

Green (kept in Texas)

John

DEEP DIVER
Forum User

Postby DEEP DIVER » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:51 pm

I just used a sheepskin rug from the kids rooms. They no longer use them and it was just in the shed. I tuck the back under the rack and put a cord over from frame to frame. Here it is just, looks funny but is very comfy. Longest we have rode is around 250 miles. Lolo used to have one to, I think hers was cut out of a old sheepskin coat?

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp13 ... 64e6c1.jpg

Barry the old goat!!!!

farmerboy
Club Member 12

Postby farmerboy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:10 pm

deep Diver... that pic is hilarious.... LOL.... :grin:
It looks like a dead sheep fell onto your bike.... so funny! You have made my day!

Just reminded me of another forum funny... a guy on the Toyota Landcruiser forum was complaining that his rear lights did not work and after a bit of unsuccessful advice from forumites he ripped the entire interior of the car aprt to trace the wiring to find the fault.... all six seats, door cards, trim, some headlining, bits of the dash.... the pics showed a car that was destroyed inside!

I came across the post and informed him that the high level lights are not the tail lights... it is the ones at the bottom in the bumper although US spec cars do use the high level ones. Everything was working exactly as Mr Toyota had intended!

So he had destroyed his interior for no reason whatsoever... You had to be there I guess... but I fell off the sofa laughing.
2006 R1200 RT
Grey

Red

Green (kept in Texas)

John

DEEP DIVER
Forum User

Postby DEEP DIVER » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:49 pm

My bike gets worried when I walk behind it wearing wellies.

Barry the old goat!!!!

farmerboy
Club Member 12

Postby farmerboy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Jesus, ....another classic.... wife - "be quiet!, why are you laughing?" so funny.... brilliant!
2006 R1200 RT
Grey

Red

Green (kept in Texas)

John

gogs01
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:08 am

I tried an Airhawk pad some years ago and couldn't get on with it. I know if there's too much air in it you get an unsettling "floating" feeling and you have to keep reducing the pressure until that feeling disappears, but I never managed to find the sweet spot where it would just be more comfortable than the standard seat.
Re-shaping my RT seat to make it slightly flatter and slightly higher toward the front made a noticeable difference.
I've also tried a sheepskin on an FJR1300 and my last RT and had no sore bum issues over some long trips including some very long days. So, although there is no "silver bullet" to cure sore backside syndrome, re-shaping and sheepskin are two things I can recommend trying.
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”