Schuberth helmets - shopping time

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

macplaxton
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Ireland

Schuberth helmets - shopping time

Postby macplaxton » Fri May 19, 2017 10:04 pm

Opinions sought on current crop flip-front lids, particularly Schuberths...

In my desperation to get on the road cheaply and quickly last summer after a long break, I bought an LS2 F351 full-face crash hat for €70 (~£59). It fits well enough, but a bit noisy for me. So I think now is the time I ought to relegate it to occasional pillion use.

My previous helmet was Arai RX7-XX some 15-odd years back at £450.

Pros:
  • Removable lining
  • Light weight c. 1100g
  • Great ventilation
  • Decent quick release visor to change between clear and road-legal tinted
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Very noisy
  • Took a while to get used to doing up a double-D strap with gloves on
Prior to that I had a BMW System 3 at £290 (and found a rare picture of me with it):

IOM98 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Pros:
  • Great for spectacles (I don't need to wear glasses to meet Group 1 medical standards (bikes, cars), but do for Group 2)
  • Didn't need to take it off all the time as people could see my miserable/cheery face.
  • Very quiet
  • Good fit
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Rubbish thin visor
  • Ventilation so-so (and rear extractor flappy thing broke off)
  • Lining not removable
  • Heavy c. 1800g
Given the above pros/cons (in that particular order) being what sways me and not really having any particular price on my head or budget in mind, I'm starting to be drawn to getting a new Schuberth lid (C3 Basic / C3 Pro / C4?). Here's some questions I have for those that own them, given that'll I'll probably buy it online for UK delivery when I'm there (Zero VAT):
  • Fit - can anyone with a current Schuberth offer an opinion as to current shape fit, given that my head was quite happy inside a 58/59 System 3?
  • Noise - what are these new ones like - again given that I thought a System 3 was quiet.
  • Connectivity - back in the olden days it was a very expensive proposition to get a mobile phone / two-way radio rigged up (I used to go around with a shoulder holster and radio pager), what's the latest Bluetooth stuff like? I mainly just want to listen to podcast on my phone, rather than which bit is going to fall off next. :razz:
Shall I just fall out with my wallet and splash out on a C4 + SC1?

Thanks in advance.
'99 R1100RT Image

IanB
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: Schuberth helmets - shopping time

Postby IanB » Sat May 20, 2017 11:47 am

I have a C3 Pro and like it a lot - works very well with my RS.

Pros:
If a System 3 fitted you this should be good. Very well made.
Double-glazed visor and flip-down sun visor are both absolute lifesavers in poor conditions of any kind - especially if you wear glasses.
Quieter than the System 3. Little wings on the side of the chin piece are surprisingly effective at redirecting airflow parallel with the bottom of the helmet and reducing vortex shedding a bit - I still wear earplugs as well, though.

Cons:
You just have to put up with the Schuberth branding on your forehead when you take it off... (Not really, but the lining leaves a very distinctive pattern for those in the know!)
If you want comms equipment buy it at the same time as you can avoid VAT - if you buy it separately it attracts the full 20%.
None others that I can think of!
1992 R100RS Mono - modified a bit

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Postby kent_instructor10 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Found c3 a very different head shape to the c3 pro. I went back to a shoei neotech after 6 months on a c3.
C3 good but a small part broke before i even rode it!
Shoei feels a bit more luxurious!
Now: 2013 R1200RT SE; 2011 Moto Guzzi Norge GT 8V. Previously: K1100RS, R1200RTPx2, R1100RTPx2, R1100RT, R80RT, K100LT and Jap stuff!
http://www.invictamotorcycletraining.co.uk

macplaxton
Club Member 12

Postby macplaxton » Sat May 20, 2017 3:08 pm

You just have to put up with the Schuberth branding on your forehead when you take it off... (Not really, but the lining leaves a very distinctive pattern for those in the know!)
:lol:
If you want comms equipment buy it at the same time as you can avoid VAT - if you buy it separately it attracts the full 20%.
Interesting. I was aware of the visor VAT anomaly, but not this. One thing that is probably offsetting the lousy £/€ exchange rate is the UK's historical zero-rating of lids. It's full VAT everywhere else more or less. (23% here).
Found c3 a very different head shape to the c3 pro.
I'll bear that in mind. In what way did you find it differed?
'99 R1100RT Image

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Postby kent_instructor10 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:15 am

I seem to have a shoei head! When I tried a c3pro the 'correct' size was very uncomfortable, the next size up rattled, definitely too big. The standard c3 fitted my head shape better. The guy in the shop said the shells were different shapes. So whilst I could wear a c3, a pro was definitely out.

Also Schuberth sizing was 54/55, 56/57 etc, whereas shoei was 55/56, 57/58 etc. A slight difference but for my head it seemed relevant.
Now: 2013 R1200RT SE; 2011 Moto Guzzi Norge GT 8V. Previously: K1100RS, R1200RTPx2, R1100RTPx2, R1100RT, R80RT, K100LT and Jap stuff!
http://www.invictamotorcycletraining.co.uk

chasbmw
Forum User

Postby chasbmw » Sun May 21, 2017 11:35 am

I use an Interphone F5 on a Schuberth pro. works well with the special fitting kit for schuberth helmets, up graded speakers etc etc. Probably still available from Celluar.com in Italy. 1/2 the price of the now outdated SRC kit and easier to use. Helmet is good, getting a bit noisiere after about 3 years of use.
Charles
2016 CCM 450
1975 R90/6
1958 R50

macplaxton
Club Member 12

Postby macplaxton » Wed May 24, 2017 7:49 am

Well whilst passing through Glasgow I managed to try on a C3 basic, C3 Pro and C4.

C3 basic 58/59 would be the best fit for my head measuring 60. C3 Pro 58/59 seemed more squashed on my cheeks as I am a chubby chops these days.

The C4 in 58/59 was madness! - It felt like my head was going to implode under the pressure. Managed to find a 60/61 to try, but that seemed too loose a fit. What an earth have they done to their sizing?
'99 R1100RT Image

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”