Spark plug booster kit... sceptical but.....

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Re: Spark plug booster kit... sceptical but.....

Postby King Herald » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 am

For someone trying to launch a ground breakingly cheap way of increasing performance by 20% they are making a very cackhanded attempt at publicity and addpvertising. Dull, blurred, incomplete dyno sheets with the figures trimmed off the side???

If this simple screw in device worked so,well every manufacturer, racer, rider, in the world would be using them. Why would anybody spend £400++ on a set of cams to get the same horsepower increase??
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

IanB
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby IanB » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:15 pm

I'd normally be pretty sceptical of this, but as it has been developed by Steve Scriminger, who does know what he's doing, I am more inclined to suspend judgement - it is quite possible there is something useful here. In any case it is not uncommon for good engineers to be pretty cackhanded at publicity and advertising - they are very different skill sets!

However, whether it is of any use outside an aero engine or off a race track is another matter - most standard airhead engines are perfectly satisfactory for normal road use. That's particularly the case now when nobody in their right mind would buy one for performance. So I don't think this is going to make Steve rich (although I won't complain if I'm proved wrong!).

Would love to hear any first-hand accounts...
1992 R100RS Mono - modified a bit

Mike D
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Mike D » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:12 pm

Steve's retired due to health issues, so probably not carried this idea aby further.

Mike

grayurc
Forum User
Country of Residence: Blyth England

Postby grayurc » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Just seen this topic, so if what I have say is old hat then a big SORRY.

In the days of oily engines an idea that crept out of the wartime RAF was as follows, it supposedly helps combustion.

Cut the ignition HT cable and slide of a short length of plastic tube that fits tightly on the cable. Screw a self tapping screw in to either end of the cut cable. Pull the tube over the the two ends so that there is a small (thou) gap. secure the ends of the plastic tube with stiff wire or tye wraps (which weren't invented when this idea came out.

I saw a very upmarket version of this on a chipmunk that was always oiling up! Its an aeroplane before anyone gets smart.

Philip

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”