Liber-t (SANEF) Télépéage Scheme

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

gogs01
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Scotland

Liber-t (SANEF) Télépéage Scheme

Postby gogs01 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Anyone who uses the French autoroutes will know that there are many peage sections with toll booths where you either take a ticket to show where you began or pay as you join or pay as you leave the peage section.
It can be awkward if driving a RHD car with no passenger to assist and it can be a real faff on a motorcycle if you have to remove wet gloves, dig out card or cash then reverse the procedure before getting on your way. Sitting in a long queue at busy times with rain running down your back is not a joyful experience either.
I've sat in many a queue watching cars go through the telepeage lanes without stopping and, particularly on the bike, thought it would be wonderful to use those telepeage lanes.
Earlier this year, I took the plunge, bought a transponder and fitted it to the windscreen of my car. On a recent trip from Coquelles to San Sebastian it worked perfectly - I never once stopped on the autoroutes, just slowed to 30kph and watched the barrier go up, the green light come on and heard a confirmation "ping" as I accelerated back up to speed.
I'm hoping to get back to the south of France in a few weeks time, and I'm assured that the same transponder can be used and bike rate will be applied if I use the "non height -restricted" telepeage lanes. I'm looking forward to that experience .....

Details of how to use the system are here : https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

raesewell
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: Liber-t (SANEF) Télépéage Scheme

Postby raesewell » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:14 pm

I have had one of these for about 4 years and they do work on the bike. If you have a waterproof breast pocket put it in there (make sure it's facing the right way). I cable tied a mount inside my jacket on left shoulder.
It knows you are a bike because it scans your width and height which is why you need to go through the non height restricted booths.
Ride up slow and make sure you go far enough forward for the scanner to read the transmitter.
They say the batteries last 7 years and mine are still OK after 4

gogs01
Club Member 12

Postby gogs01 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:41 pm

I have had one of these for about 4 years and they do work on the bike. If you have a waterproof breast pocket put it in there (make sure it's facing the right way). I cable tied a mount inside my jacket on left shoulder.
It knows you are a bike because it scans your width and height which is why you need to go through the non height restricted booths.
Ride up slow and make sure you go far enough forward for the scanner to read the transmitter.
They say the batteries last 7 years and mine are still OK after 4
Brilliant - thanks for that ! :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:38 am

You're welcome Gordon, I try not to use the motorways when I'm in France but sometimes it's a necessary evil.

midlife crisis
Club Member 12

Postby midlife crisis » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:17 pm

do you have to pay monthly even if you do not use it? could look pan line but being lazy
just love riding

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:24 pm

You only pay for any month in which you use the tag - maximum of €10 a year, plus a £6 a year fee, both plus VAT. All info here, to save your energy :lol: -

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/support/ ... List/#1.0.

Pete
'L'enfer, c'est les autres'.

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:33 am

Thanks Pete you beat me to it

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 pm

I can confirm all of the above.
Also keep in mind you can register with and purchase the transponder from any Highway management authority, whether it is SANEF, APRR/AREA, Vinci or Escota.
Any transporder from a French Highway Company will work on all highways and toll tunnels in the country (except some city highways, equivalent to London Circular for instance).
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W65L "Twin with a kick"

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:16 pm

I made a very snazzy little holder for my tag. I used a very small zip-lock type bag fastened on 3 of its sides to the inside of my screen using very neatly-cut tape - the opening edge being left free. It can't be seen from the outside of the screen, courtesy of its dark tint, and works perfectly. Its also 100% waterproof. I was convinced it wouldn't work in a jacket pocket, and had visions of holding up a line of angry French drivers whilst fumbling around for it! Rae's experiences prove that wouldn't have happened! :lol:

Pete
'L'enfer, c'est les autres'.

gogs01
Club Member 12

Postby gogs01 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:27 pm

I made a very snazzy little holder for my tag. I used a very small zip-lock type bag fastened on 3 of its sides to the inside of my screen using very neatly-cut tape - the opening edge being left free. It can't be seen from the outside of the screen, courtesy of its dark tint, and works perfectly. Its also 100% waterproof. I was convinced it wouldn't work in a jacket pocket, and had visions of holding up a line of angry French drivers whilst fumbling around for it! Rae's experiences prove that wouldn't have happened! :lol:

Pete
I probably would have tried something similar to your zip-lock bag, but I'll now be going for something similar to Rae's solution.

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”