Oil change for idiots.....

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Oil change for idiots.....

Postby King Herald » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:04 pm

So I ordered my 4 litres of oil and a filter from Motorworks, as it seemed easier than running around the town finding the recommended 15/50 semi synthetic.

It arrived, I warmed the bike up, rolled underneath.......how the hell does this oil filter come out??? First time I have serviced a Beemer. :cry:

I could order a oil filter wrench from Motorworks, but that's another three days or so, so I rode up to Halfords and they had the one I needed in stock. £7.

Back home, bike is now nice and hot, so I drained the oil, dropped the filter, left it an hour to empty.

I sorted out my funnel, oil and filter, filter prefilled, lubed, screwed in ready.

Then the dogs came to see what was going on.

Then the phone went.

Then I got back, moved the dogs, and started filling the engine with oil.

Then I noticed the sump plug still on the rag under the bike.... :pale: ](*,)

So, Sump plug hurriedly screwed in, remains of my oil poured in, I am about a 1/4 litre low on oil.

Now I have to go running around town trying to find the correct 15/50 semi synthetic....
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Oil change for idiots.....

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:25 pm

Known as a Dog Day........ :smile:

If it's only a 1/4 litre I would just top up with a Supermarket oil - 20W/50 Mineral or Semi Synthetic if you can get it otherwise the usual 10W/40 Multigrade.

NOTE: On an Oilhead, never fill more than 2/3 on the Sight Glass and never top up until less than 1/3 on the Sight Glass.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Re: Oil change for idiots.....

Postby King Herald » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks Ced. I just went and bought a litre of 15/40 semi synth, closest I could find, topped up less than half a litre and it brought it from out of sight to a tad above the dot on the glass. I wasn't sure if I had to use the exact type, but it sounds not. :grin:

Doesn't take much to bring it up that last centimetre. :shock:

Seems odd, there is absolutely no 15/50 on the shelf in Halfords, Asda, Tesco etc, all the places open on Sunday. I don't think it really needs that expensive Sikolene 15/50 type of oil, £35++ for 4 litres, but it was what the Motorworks site recommended.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”