Tyre Sealant explained

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

raesewell
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Tyre Sealant explained

Postby raesewell » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:42 pm

I received an email from IAM this morning and one of the recommendations was for Bikeseal. I know this has been covered at length before, however this video is very informative and I think explains everything you need to know whether you are pro or anti.
http://bikeseal.co.uk/

windmill john
Forum User
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Re: Tyre Sealant explained

Postby windmill john » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Well I cannot argue with the effectiveness.
My only gripe is if you fit your own tyres, it’s a blooming mess.

I carry sticky string and mushrooms for my tubeless tyres and Slime for my tubed.

If you don’t do your own tyres, then the product looks good and I would just keep away from the tyre fitter after they’d finished :grin:
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Friedrich 1993 R80RT - a Percheron, but can still mix it with the rest.

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:59 pm

It's water based so washes away with water.

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:54 pm

I’m about to replace the front tyre on my RT. Please pop round and mop my shed floor afterwards. I’ll send you directions :wink:

Being serious, I’m not knocking it per se, only if you fit your own.

John

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:28 pm

I have never read a positive feedback from an actual user. Lots of advertizing and certainly lots of critiscism, but I never came across a comment from someone who has used that product.

Anyway, even from BikeSeal acknowledgement, the product is designed for tubeless tires and not very efficient with tubes.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W65L "Twin with a kick"

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:33 pm

This thread is running in parallel on another site and this is one of the replies.

I do an average of 16 to 20.000 a year on the bike and the law of averages dictates that a puncture "should" be an inevitability. Using bikes in a business setting means the potential for disruption of service is greater than the average "social" use. Some might have the luxury of purely "social use," and a puncture is just an "inconvenience" to be suffered.

I used to use Ultaseal as a preventative but have now changed tack and instead carry an "RAC" tyre inflator and a tyre plugger kit.

I do however have a positive reflection of when Ultraseal probably saved me from an off and potential serious injury.

About 5 years ago, I was riding in the upper Swansea valley area and was overtaking a line of cars travelling at around 60mph and the bike suddenly lurched left and right and it was obvious that I had suffered a rear puncture. Luckily the car driver in the chain of them that I was passing was switched on and realised I was in trouble and slowed to let me get back in and to the side of the road. I quickly realised that the ultraseal had done it's job, and I had enough pressure to slowly ride another 3 to 4 miles to the nearest Ambulance station in Ystradgynlais where I called for recovery. Within half an hour of arriving there the tyre had gradually deflated and was completely flat.

I had the bike recovered home and next day called out the mechanic who maintains my bikes and his mobile tyre fitting service and he set about changing the tyre with the customary moans and groans about my use of "that bloody stuff"

After he removed the tyre, he called me back out and scratching his head incredulously, he showed me the state of the tyre and told me that the "wound" in the tyre probably from a large chuck of metal, should have resulted in a massive blow out and rapid deflation of the tyre which could have ended in an off.

He told me that whilst he still hated the stuff, the Ultraseal had done an exceptional job at permitting a "controlled deflation," and had certainly done it's job in saving me from an off, and potential serious injury.

The stuff didn't stop a puncture, and I still had the inconvenience of having to deal with a punctured rear wheel, but I am convinced it saved my life or limb that day, so any benefits that I gained that day were more complex in nature than simply saving some inconvenience.

Funnily, I haven't used it since and rely now on the inflator/tyre plug kit combination and whilst I don't want to tempt fate, I haven't used it since, but to be fair, I think that selection of good branded tyres is probably the best deterrent to the potential of punctures.

You pays your money and takes your choice, but just bear in mind the catastrophe that a rapid deflation might cause, and that such sealants might just be a life saver and not just a "convenience" saver!

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:40 pm

I have used tyre sealant for 70,000 miles over about 5 years and I have had one puncture which was in the sidewall which tyre sealants don't claim to prevent. Now you have heard positive feedback from an actual long term user.

It has been my experience, that the people most against tyre sealants are those that have never tried it.

I didn't start this thread with the intention of changing any ones way of dealing with punctures it was just to give information.
What you do with that information is entirely up to you.

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Fully understand. I’m a commuter and overseas traveller; not as much overseas lately.
And as mentioned earlier, my observations are as someone who changes his own tyres.

On previous S/H bikes I’ve bought, I’ve had to chip away bonded tyre sealant from rims and round the valve. Like you, I’m not poo pooing it, just purely personal observations.

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Tyre sealants have changed dramatically over the past five years, so any experience older than that is not really relevant to todays products.

Redbaron
Forum User

Postby Redbaron » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:40 pm

I have very slow rim leaks on my 1991 R80rt even with rim sealant plastered on by the tyre fitter, on account of micro-corrosion of the aluminium. Bikeseal in both tyres virtually stops the rim leaks on my bike.
George Strong
1991 R80RT red metallic 654

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Hello George, long time no hear, glad you have had a positive experience with tyre sealants.

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Honestly raesewell, not being difficult just my observations.

The casting on my R65 wheels, tubed by the way, were so bad that previous tyre fitters never correctly fitted tyres. The tyres just grabbed the rims, the rim lines on the tyres sat at bad angles; interesting ride!

As Redbaron hinted towards, on my R80, I wet and dried the rims, then applied Solvol and I suffer no air leaks.

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:27 pm

You're not being difficult John, George said it cured his problem.
Like I said before you can deal with punctures in any way you see fit.
I choose not to have punctures :razz:

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 pm

I have very slow rim leaks on my 1991 R80rt even with rim sealant plastered on by the tyre fitter, on account of micro-corrosion of the aluminium. Bikeseal in both tyres virtually stops the rim leaks on my bike.
Interesting.
Does BikeSeal affect the handling in any way? Such as a "heavier" front end and altered cornering capability ?
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W65L "Twin with a kick"

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:54 pm

The sealant has a balancing effect like balancing beads the Americans are fond of. Some bike are more sensitive at the front end than others.
My FJR is sensitive at the front end and I put a slightly smaller dose in my front tyre and it performs great.

martinwR65
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: UK

Postby martinwR65 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:21 pm

....... I think explains everything you need to know whether you are pro or anti.
http://bikeseal.co.uk/
Hardly.

It's an advert for Bikeseal. I heard no mention of the argument against tyre sealants.