Servo Assisted Brakes - Safety Announcement

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

moorlander999

Re: Servo Assisted Brakes - Safety Announcement

Postby moorlander999 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:55 pm

i rode an r1150rt police bike.....thrashed daily around the mean streets of west yorkshire.....never any faults with the brakes in fact they saved my life a couple of times... [-o<

vinidian

Postby vinidian » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:55 pm

I have had my ignition cut out. It was on a left turn, fortunately at low speed, but still nearly dropped the bike. Turned out to be a broken wire in the steering head. BMW were not interested, just charged me for the repair even though the bike was not long out of warranty. I have come on the web site as the break warning light has just come on and the "BREAK FAIL" started flashing rapidly. The servo appears to not be working. After 3 years of enjoying the bike I am now beginning to wish I had not bothered, as on some US sites it looks as if the cost could be over £1000 to fix unless any one can help? :cry:

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi
that sounds bad, I suppose it depends what you paid and how much it is worth compared to the fun you have had.

What is the bike? R1150RT, RS?

Use the Search facility to find out postings by Ced about a Brake Brain Repair specist

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

vinidian

Postby vinidian » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks George, will try searching for the postings. My bike is an 06 K1200GT

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks George, will try searching for the postings. My bike is an 06 K1200GT
Previous related post: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you know the type of integral ABS fitted to your bike e.g. iABS-1 (ABS3), iABS-2 (ABS4)?

Have you read out the ABS Fault Code/s to see what is wrong? [around £60 for a dealer print out and they can advise the ABS type fitted].

It may just be a wheel sensor, low fluid levels or clogged filters. A complete fluid flush and filter clean might help and is worth trying before writing off a £2000 unit.

If the Modulator has died, check out Motorworks and James Sherlock for used Modulators.

If a repair is too pricey consider removing the ABS entirely but watch in case the ABS electronics are required for other functions such as speedo/cruise control etc. Google to see if this has been done before on a 2006 K1200GT.

If you can identify your ABS type, check out this link for ABS repair on a 2006 K1200GT:

http://rhelectronics.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

vinidian

Postby vinidian » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks for the info. The levels are correct and the fluid was replaced the year before last. I am trying to get it booked into North Oxford BMW, as they are the closest.
Just getting concerned about the price of the possible fix.

](*,)

vinidian

Postby vinidian » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:19 pm

Just had a call from the Dealer. £1600 + to replace the Servo unit. They recommended Motoscot who may be able to fit a repaired unit, but they have a waiting list, and no idea when it could be fixed. Apparently the front break pressure is 75Bar and should not be more than 35 Bar. Unfortunately that means my holiday in May is not going to happen. The more people I talk to the more common this problem seems. This servo unit seems not fit for purpose, and as such BMW should at least take some responsibility for the cost. Given the relatively few bikes with this servo fitted it would be interesting to know the failure rate.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi
that is a LOT of money.

I guess the bike is worth about 3-4 times that when in good nick, and about that in its current condition. Good sense says you will have to spend the money unless there is a way of removing the unit and reverting to "Normal" brakes.

George

Twisty

Postby Twisty » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:27 pm

Has anyone converted from 'servo-brakes' to non servo ABS and if so what does it entail? Master cylinders, ABS unit and possibly ECO I guess?? :oops: :cool:

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Postby P-K » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:08 pm

Has anyone converted from 'servo-brakes' to non servo ABS and if so what does it entail? Master cylinders, ABS unit and possibly ECO I guess?? :oops: :cool:
Just plumbing needed.
The master cylinders on their own are good enough to operate the callipers.
Its a case of lots of unbolting, draining and re-piping,
then refilling and bleeding.

Trickiest prob is getting the brake lights to function afterwards.
(They are interlocked with the servo controller)
Phil,
''93 R100GSPD : '17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

slangford
Forum User

Postby slangford » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread...

In case anyone else has this problem, and thinks they're crazy, you might not be...

What happened to Danny, back in 2007, happen this year to me, twice, on my K1200S.

Both times were on the same trip around Europe.

First time I accelerated up a slip road, onto a motorway, past a truck in the inside lane, and as I got to 110 mph the bike cut out. I pulled in the clutch, cut in front of the lorry (by a good few yards - wasn't an issue or anything) and coasted to a stop on the hard shoulder. I sat there a bit shaken, hands still on the bars, and noticed that the key was in the off position - strange, as my hands had been on the bars the whole time. Sure enough - turned the key back on, everything works. I set off again quite gingerly, but everything carried on working for the next few days, so thought nothing more of it.

A week or so later, (still on an autobahn), cruising along doing 80mph or so, a Ducati came flying past me in the outside lane. 'I'm not having that!' I thought, and kicked down to 4th and opened the throttle. I also tucked myself in behind the screen, so my face was right close to the tank. At the same kind of speed, just north of 110mph, I actually saw the key turn, as with my head down behind the screen, the key was a few inches in front of me in my field of view. This time I turned the key back on, eased off and carried on riding, albeit a bit scared.

I have NO idea how this is physically possible. If anyone else had reported this, I'm the first to admit that I would have been very sceptical about it. Having actually seen the key turn in the lock.... I don't know what to think. And on a bike with servo assisted brakes, this kind of problem isn't funny.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi
did you have anything on the key ring that the weight of it might have caused the key to turn?

BTW since it is a safety issue I am happy to see a zombie revived.

George

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:37 pm

How stiff is it to turn the key on and off? Is there a positive sort over ‘over centre’ that would stop it rotating back to off, or is it sloppy?

I cannot for one second imagine there is any sort of servo, magnet or drive that physically moves the key.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:38 pm

There is nothing in there.... but a microswitch at the base

Key fobs have been known to turn these off while swinging in the wind!!!
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

slangford
Forum User

Postby slangford » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:17 am

No key fob - I don't like anything scratching my yoke!
Although the bike is 10 years old, it's only done 15,000 miles - the ignition action is like a new bike.

I just wish I had a video of it somehow - I know how unbelievable it sounds!

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:58 am

I have heard of it before So Don;t worry I believe you! It must be an airflow thing that over "70" mph :---) there a jet of air hitting it with enough force to turn it ? :???:
No key fob - I don't like anything scratching my yoke!
Although the bike is 10 years old, it's only done 15,000 miles - the ignition action is like a new bike.

I just wish I had a video of it somehow - I know how unbelievable it sounds!
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

slangford
Forum User

Postby slangford » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:35 am

I thought it was maybe some kind of resonant frequency vibrations from the engine. Maybe that in conjunction wih the wind? Still, whatever causes it, if the rider has the presence of mind to turn the key back on, they might be able to avoid an accident - I managed to turn it back on whilst still moving quite quickly, but only the second time it happened, and only because I'd pre-planned what I was going to do.

Richard(Sande)Sanders
Forum User
Country of Residence: Havant, England

Postby Richard(Sande)Sanders » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:09 pm

I don't have any experience of the i-ABS system as I have an R1100RT with ABS2, but I
can't understand how a system that leaves you with 'residual braking' managed to pass
initial safety test's

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”