Spending pocket money!

Post your Misc Tech and Restoration Q&A's and general BMW queries here

Moderator: Moderators

CaptAirhead
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Spending pocket money!

Postby CaptAirhead » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:23 pm

The cold, wet weather has put paid to the idea of working on the bike for the time being so I've decided to slob out over the winter and play with my toys indoors until things warm up.. It also gives me a chance to scout T'internet for bits and pieces I need ( or want) for the bike once work resumes in the Spring. I find that a bit of retail therapy helps offset the effects of S.A.D. which is my excuse for spending my pocket money on eBay.
Here is a few nice little bits and pieces I've picked up recently:-

Original Airhead Tool Kit. I was lucky to find one in very good condition although it was not 100% complete. I got it cheap enough to be able to buy some additional Heyco spanners of the correct period and I also added a Heyco circuit tester which I got with a cheap tool kit for the workshop. I also added a couple of Wurth feeler gauges. The only things I need to make it complete are the steering 'C' spanner which is still available from Motobins and the 19 x 22 dumpy spanner which is quite difficult to find. The swing arm wrench is still available but not sure if I will actually get one.

ImageBMW Airhead Tool Kit. Circa 1970's. by Ian Beat, on Flickr

My next item I actually bought some time ago when things were still relatively cheap. It's a genuine BMW First Aid Kit of the correct period for my bike. It's in decent condition and reasonably complete although I'm not sure of the exact contents when new. These don't come up too often, are a bit pricey when they do and I haven't seen too many with the scissors. It's too rare an item to carry on the bike so I also have a modern kit.

ImageClassic BMW Airhead First Aid Kit 2. by Ian Beat, on Flickr

My final item I picked up a few weeks ago at a bargain price. It is a full set of owners manuals in decent condition and, unusually, it included the Authority bike supplement which is something I haven't seen before so I was quite chuffed to get my hands on it as my bike is ex-police so it is a useful addition.

ImageBMW R80/7 TIC Rider's Handbooks by Ian Beat, on Flickr

That's it for the noo. Can't think of anything else to buy that I don't actually need.

Ian.
If you don't make mistakes, then you aren't trying hard enough!

1979 BMW R80/7 (ex-Police)
2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

CaptAirhead
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Spending pocket money!

Postby CaptAirhead » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:30 am

Correction to that last statement. I came across yet another owners handbook which I never knew existed. It is titled ( literally) Directory of BMW handler and contract work outfits and is basically a directory of BMW dealers worldwide. ( Bottom left):-

ImageBMW Airhead Owner's Documents. by Ian Beat, on Flickr

The handbook is dated 1962 and lists only one dealer in GB (BMW/Isetta), located in Brighton:-

ImageDSCF2768 by Ian Beat, on Flickr

An interesting thing is that the map of Germany at the back of the book shows the border and no details for East Germany and Berlin. Doubly interesting for me as I was based in Herford, Westfalia with Recce Troop, 7th. Signal Regiment from 1964 to 1969 and our job was to sit on the border and get as drunk as possible on Herforder while the Russians sat on their side of the border and got as drunk as possible on Vodka. Happy days:-

ImageBMW Dealer Directory. 1962 Map. by Ian Beat, on Flickr

Anyhoo, that was a nice wee bit of memorabilia for only four quid so unless anything else of interest comes along that I don't actually need, my next purchase(s) will be a Surefoot sidestand and a couple of tyres although it's going to be a wee while till it's warm enough to venture outside to do any work on the bikes. In the meantime, I will just slob out and continue to snack out and hope that Spring comes before I've watched every film on Netflix.
Ian.
If you don't make mistakes, then you aren't trying hard enough!

1979 BMW R80/7 (ex-Police)
2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Re: Spending pocket money!

Postby King Herald » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:58 am

I have the same dealers network book in my BMW folder, came from the previous owner. I bet most are closed, moved, or sell something else now.

A few years ago I was a prolific ebayer, buying all sorts of odds and ends at random; tools, metal offcuts, stuff like aircraft filler caps, Rolls Royce UNF engine screws, stainless nuts, and anything that took my interest. Just bid a few quid, see if I win. Like a small Lotto. :)

Most of it is still sat in the shed, unused.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Return to “Miscellaneous & Restoration Q&A's”