F650 Funduro. Fuel in the air filter

Post your F Series Technical Q&A's here

Moderator: Moderators

Deetour

F650 Funduro. Fuel in the air filter

Postby Deetour » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:23 am

Well, I have my R1150RT back on the road and am loving it. Now that it is back I have another issue to deal with on my F650. ( which has a name by the way, Deetour, never on the main road, also my user name) Anyway, I noticed it getting hard to start and so thought I would check the
normal things first ie, air filter, fuel filter etc. Well the first thing I checked, the air filter looked wet and so when I removed it, it was dripping with fuel. I dried it out and then went back to the filter box and there was a pool of fuel in the depression in the bottom of the filter box.
Dried it all up and put it back together, started easy and checked it a week later, same thing, wet filter and a box full of fuel.
Has anyone heard of this before and are there any ideas and /or suggestion for fixing the problem.
Any assistance would be very much appreciated. I don't have a problem with doing repairs and fixing problems once I know the problem and have a method to follow but am not the best in the diagnosis area.
Thanks
Leigh :smile:

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: F650 Funduro. Fuel in the air filter

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi Deetour!

I'm not familiar with the F650 series but am wondering if the fuel tank on this bike is fitted above or near the air filter box and there is a leak from the tank/hoses which is causing the problem?
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Deetour

Postby Deetour » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:46 pm

Hey Ced,
I am pretty sure it is not a fuel tank leak. It seems like it is coming from one of the carbies, namely the left one. I have a feeling it is being blown back into the air filter box for some reason from that carby. I have noticed a discolouration of the left carbie with moist dust on it. can't see any leaks on it though. it is a bit of a job to do it but I think I am going to have to get it off the motor and maybe check the float and needle and seat for an obstruction. funny though, as hard as it is to start sometimes it runs quite well when travelling. I am going on a dirt road run with some of the guys from work in a couple of weeks and don't want to have trouble with it out there. Also does nothing for the fuel economy.
Anyway thanks Ced, I think I will start dismantling it and get the carby off for a start and go from there.
I will keep you informed how I go. if you think of anything please let me know.
Regards
Leigh

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:26 pm

Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Deetour

Postby Deetour » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:36 am

Hey Ced,
Thanks for that, some pretty good info there. I also found another very detailed review of the same problem.
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/CarbMiscFAQ.htm#PUKING PETROL

Leigh

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:20 am

Hi Leigh,

Let us know what you find when you get into the carb!
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Deetour

Postby Deetour » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:58 am

Will do Ced. Just got to fine the time to do it amongst work (I do average about 10 hour days) and all other activities and the like.

Leigh

Return to “F Series Technical Q&A's”