2 up touring on an F800GS

Post your F Series Technical Q&A's here

Moderator: Moderators

waynem325

Postby waynem325 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:36 pm

Hi all

Having previously owned an F800 ST, I know roughly how capable the GS variant would be for touring solo, but I never got round to taking a passenger and wondered if any owners often partake in riding long distances with a pillion and full luggage?

I currently have an R1100GS (and an R1100RT) but I'm starting to think I want something a little more nimble and may sell the GS?
With the RT in the garage I don't know if I'd ever use the f8GS for 2 up touring, but I also want a sports bike again so may sell the RT for one sometime in the future...?
If a sports bike came along, it would leave the F8GS as the better 2 up option.

It's important that I have a bike capable of taking a pillion and enough luggage for both for a long weekend somewhere - my wife has finally succumbed to the fact that she can enjoy more foreign holidays with me if we can ride somewhere rather than fly! (I desperately hate airports!).

So what's the verdict?
Would it be possible for 2 people to travel into europe on an F800GS and still be talking upon arrival?
Would the engine cope with the strain? Would the seats be friendly over such long distances? Would the panniers cope with a woman's packing requirements?

Or is it simply, a bike that one enjoys exclusively to ones self?

Lolo
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Portugal

Re: 2 up touring on an F800GS

Postby Lolo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:15 pm

Would the panniers cope with a woman's packing requirements? :shock: [-X

Or is it simply, a bike that one enjoys exclusively to ones self?
Time for her to learn to ride if she has excessive packing! :-" Pack as much as she likes then :grin: =D>

Personally I could not imagine it being a comfortable ride for touring Europe together. The only answer is to to test ride together :smile: Then you can get a more acurrate answer from the most important person :cheers:
Living the dream :sunny:

waynem325

Postby waynem325 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:39 pm

Good advice, thank you Lolo.
We have a little one who may make things a little difficult if test riding together...maybe when the salesman looks the other way we may be able to slip away? He's a good boy and they'd never know?!?

Unfortunately she would never learn to ride...plus, where would she keep it? The garage is full of my toys! ;o)

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi
I have never ridden a F800GS so what I have to say maybe completely pointless BUT the seat on the F650 (800 twin with I THINK the same seat) is like a plank, a plank on its side, a plank on its side with nails in after 15 miles out on a test ride I just wanted to hobble off and leave the thing where it was.

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

waynem325

Postby waynem325 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi George

Thanks for your reply.
That seat sounds terrible?! I take it you either no longer have that bike or it sits in the garage all alone and unloved?

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:14 am

Hi
as it happens I was on a test ride so did not go further.

As a concept I decided I did not really like the parallel twin as much as the Flat twin and my Triple is a lot cheaper than the F, enough to spend the extra on the fuel difference

George

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:57 pm

I think the 800 should cope. Here's ten up!!.....
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

ilkleyal

Postby ilkleyal » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:28 am

you will find it tiring I'm sure, there is no substitute for cubes as they say
In this case i see the problem compounded because you have had the best. Thus, your first tour on a little bike will like a chore where long distances and particularly, motorway/hilly country is involved. Your RT can be thrown about like a gud un. I once went out with Spot a former member here, he on the RS myself in the RT. Fair enough, it ended in a bike being washed down a river but we had a blast for an hour before this happened!

Your current touring bike, the 1100rt is without a doubt one of the worlds best long distance machines for this job. To change this for a small GS for the same purpose would certainly detract from the touring experience. You know full well how effortless it is to glide across countries on the RT, this won't be the case with the little GS with pillion and luggage. You will be up and down the box, bumping about, blown about, wet, cold, miserable.
I don't own nor have I ridden one but those are the facts, you want cubes weight and weather protection with a seat like your favourite sofa.
I'd keep the RT and sell the 1100GS to replace with a little sports bike.
Or, you could do what I do, buy it anyway, realize the mistake and change it after a month 8-[

waynem325

Postby waynem325 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:31 am

I think the 800 should cope. Here's ten up!!.....
image.jpg
I need to make sure my family don't see this picture or else they'll all want to join us!

waynem325

Postby waynem325 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:42 am

you will find it tiring I'm sure, there is no substitute for cubes as they say
In this case i see the problem compounded because you have had the best. Thus, your first tour on a little bike will like a chore where long distances and particularly, motorway/hilly country is involved. Your RT can be thrown about like a gud un. I once went out with Spot a former member here, he on the RS myself in the RT. Fair enough, it ended in a bike being washed down a river but we had a blast for an hour before this happened!

Your current touring bike, the 1100rt is without a doubt one of the worlds best long distance machines for this job. To change this for a small GS for the same purpose would certainly detract from the touring experience. You know full well how effortless it is to glide across countries on the RT, this won't be the case with the little GS with pillion and luggage. You will be up and down the box, bumping about, blown about, wet, cold, miserable.
I don't own nor have I ridden one but those are the facts, you want cubes weight and weather protection with a seat like your favourite sofa.
I'd keep the RT and sell the 1100GS to replace with a little sports bike.
Or, you could do what I do, buy it anyway, realize the mistake and change it after a month 8-[
My thoughts are beginning to agree with what you say. I think the F8GS would be tiring on long trips, and I'm sure the gearbox would get a hammering, especially 2up.

I don't doubt it would be a great bike for short distance or solo weekends away in the UK and commuting etc, but I'm not feeling the love at the thought of a European tour with my wife on one. It has taken some encouragement to get my wife on the back of a bike, and she would use the comfort of the RT as a benchmark for anything else.

I once had a crush on the K12/1300 S but have never ridden one...think I may look into a test ride on an S model and the GT. The K's have the potential to offer day long comfort for rider and pillion, with enough protection and more gadgets than the RT, but with much longer legs when the need arises.

I could then think about a small enduro bike for the daily commute and a bit of greenlaning?

Ruralman
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Ruralman » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:46 am

That sounds like the correct solution :smile:
A bike for all occasions :grin:

Regards
Keith

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:27 pm

HI
K1200RS are incredibly cheap and a mate who has one says they go like stink.

George

Ruralman
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Ruralman » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:40 pm

Indeed the K1200rs is smooth fast and inexpensive :smile:
And mine's coming up for sale soon :grin:
Regards
Keith

waynem325

Postby waynem325 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:31 pm

You can't beat an armchair that goes like stink!

Haha Keith. ...you don't say..? So maybe I'll carry out a little research on the RS...

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi
goes like stink!
I was not told that by Keith but by someone else who said he had not had it chipped cos it went well enough

George

retrorodent

Postby retrorodent » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:19 am

Ive gone from a K1100lt to Cs650 and have no regrets. Its light,nimble nippy and economical. The K was poorly engineered and very heavy. A delight on the motorways but a nightmare around town. Just saying .

Return to “F Series Technical Q&A's”