top box

Post your F Series Technical Q&A's here

Moderator: Moderators

lukethedrifter

top box

Postby lukethedrifter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:07 pm

Could anybody please tell me if you can put a non bmw top box on a f650gs. The genuine one I have at the moment can only fit one helmet, and the price of bmw ones are way too much. Can you buy the plates and box of reasonable quality elsewhere ?
Not having much luck searching for them, cheap ones on ebay, but not sure if you can adapt them to my bike.
Thanks for any advice.

Teetwothousand
Forum User
Country of Residence: Nr Thirsk, UK

Re: top box

Postby Teetwothousand » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:39 pm

I think if you buy something like a Givi then you get an adapter plate that replaces the BM one and has all the catches etc for the Givi box. Ditto with other makes. The adaptor plate needs to be for your bike but they are common enough
F650 GS (800twin)

Richard(Sande)Sanders
Forum User
Country of Residence: Havant, England

Postby Richard(Sande)Sanders » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:42 pm

Givi do mounting plates for the F650GS from 2000 onwards, some have restrictions on which pannier mounts you can use. Also the MONOLOCK & MONOKEY boxes use different mounts & are not interchangeable. I would suggest you find out which mount fits your model, then search ebay &
similar sites for both mount & top box. It is also worth checking the changes made to earlier or later models than yours, they don't always keep
bike fitment data up to date. We had a problem finding MONOKEY pannier mounts for a 04 Honda 125 Varadero, item listed as discontinued, a
web search showed that the later model used the same rack as the earlier one , & the mounts use the rack mount points as the main fitting point,
with the lower point being on the rear footrest hanger. GIVI mounts for both bikes were the same but with different part No's, so the earlier one
was removed from the parts list, but the model fitment was not updated.

lukethedrifter

Postby lukethedrifter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks very much for taking time out to reply, got myself a new toy and thought I would add some little extras to it. Didn't realise how expensive those little extras were :(
I can make do with the original box for now, on the odd occasion I need to leave a second helmet with the bike I can secure it to bike with a lock of some sort.
As for panniers.............nice to have I suppose, but I really don't need to have them. I go down to London occasionally, and can strap a luggage bag to the back easily enough.
I am looking to change over my screen though, the one I have is tinted ? not sure what it's tinted for, as I'm only short and I sit above it. I have trouble seeing the road clearly through it of a night time.
Any one tried the taller bmw ones ? or recommend which ones to buy ?
Anyway it's all a learning curve for me..........any tips or advice is always welcome.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:55 pm

.....................I can make do with the original box for now, on the odd occasion I need to leave a second helmet with the bike I can secure it to bike with a lock of some sort.................Anyway it's all a learning curve for me..........any tips or advice is always welcome.
My 33 litre BMW Top Box only takes one helmet.

Rather than keeping a Top Box almost empty just so that you can get a helmet in when parking, you are better off using it for holding a 12v Air Pump, puncture outfit, rain gear, torch, basic tools, full water bottle, First Aid Kit, Nitrile gloves, syphon hose, spare bulbs/plugs/cable ties, duct tape, compact binoculars, Vacuum Flask and a Road Atlas.

Now you have it filled with useful items! :lol:

Here is how to stow your helmets, jackets on your bike:

Wire Strop, stainless steel, 1 metre long, 2 swaged eyes with hard eye inserts.
Click to Enlarge/Save As
Wire Strop 1m long.JPG
You can get these on Ebay or from a Marine Chandlers.
For securing jackets, the strop goes through the arms.
If you have/fit a small rack on the lid of your Top Box, you can secure the strop to this when not in use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

lukethedrifter

Postby lukethedrifter » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:54 am

Wow...........what a great reply, just the kind of common sense advice I needed. Thanks for that mate, makes a lot of sense. :)

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi
I put my helmet in a helmet bag with an external steel wire rope mesh, a lot like the pacsafe one but I made my own for the cost of 100 aluminium ferrules using some discarded wire rope, the sort of stuff used to suspend signs in Lidl.

For my Jacket I use a similar bag

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

lukethedrifter

Postby lukethedrifter » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:08 pm

Cheers George.

Teetwothousand
Forum User

Postby Teetwothousand » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:11 am

I have the BMW tall screen on my F650GS and it is ok - still get wind over the top but is better and looks in balance with the bike. I shall attempt to post a picture below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F650 GS (800twin)

Teetwothousand
Forum User

Postby Teetwothousand » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:12 am

Or even two :-)
F650 GS (800twin)

lukethedrifter

Postby lukethedrifter » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:43 pm

Ha ha ..........cheers for photo. I think the same as mine, except mine is tinted, of a night time I feel as though vision through it isn't great. I'm not sure if I like it. even though it looks good.
It has a wunderlich adjustable added bit on the top.

Return to “F Series Technical Q&A's”