F650GS (800)

Post your F Series Technical Q&A's here

Moderator: Moderators

danatnw5

F650GS (800)

Postby danatnw5 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:59 pm

Hi. new to the forums looking for some advice.

My father recently brought a F650GS (800cc) he been riding for years various bike new and old.. he rides in a group of other older riders all in their 60 and 70. He has been complaining of lack of power.. i thought he was imaging it so took it for a test ride.

The bike picks up really well in low gears and is excellent round town but when on the dual carriage way had it pinned open in 4th and wouldn't budge past 80 -85 and struggled to pull in 4 5 6 when past 60mph.

Is this normal?? or Is it possible the bike is restricted, the throttle movement seems really short. is there any easy way to check.

any help appriceated. Dan

Ruralman
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: F650GS (800)

Postby Ruralman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi Dan,
It sounds like the bike has a restrictor kit fitted.

The red-circled position on the throttle quadrant is the full-power position for the throttle-cable nipple. (Moves a greater angle for any given cable movement )

Live to ride, ride to Live ! :bounce:
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
2004 K1200rs

'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

danatnw5

Postby danatnw5 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:58 pm

Hi thanks for the reply.. how do I get to that part of the bike??

Ruralman
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Scotland

F650GS (800)

Postby Ruralman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:21 am

Hi Dan,
Follow the throttle cable until the end, you'll need to change the bracket to one that will line up with the outer cable run.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/ ... 003-092007

I think it is easier to move the oil tank as it's only held on by a torx screw and a circlip, just watch out for the spacer dropping off. What you will need is a torx key with the little hole in it as the screws that hold that bracket on are security screws with the pin in the centre, you can just see it in the photo.

Don't get too excited though you won't notice much difference in performance, all that happens is you can rev higher and the throttle response is quicker, oh..... and your exhaust silencers go yellow quicker.
Regards
Keith

Live to ride, ride to Live ! :bounce:
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
2004 K1200rs

'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:39 am

hi
where is he based? Please put it in you/his profile. Then if he is local to an event he may get am offer to meet up with other riders of his own age, most of us are. If by luck he is in South Scotland there is a meet today in Moffet, on the 6th there is one in South Lancs.

Get him (and yourself) to tell us a bit more about you in the introduce yourself section.

The restricted power bikes often fetch a premium if they have the restricted certificate so keep (or sell) the bits. I suspect he may well keep the bike forever, if he can put up with the seat, cos they are light (ish) handle and have enough power for most users, I found the twin a bit wizzy but think I would keep one if I won it in a raffle, especially a belt drive S/ST.

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Teetwothousand
Forum User
Country of Residence: Nr Thirsk, UK

Postby Teetwothousand » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:38 pm

Definitely not normal. I have one and it flies in fourth plus pulls strong in every gear - it is a very torquey engine.
F650 GS (800twin)

Return to “F Series Technical Q&A's”