Bit the bullet and gone to windows 10

Your totally irrelevant posts go here - keep it clean with no flaming and absolutely no politics (Club or otherwise). Posts contravening this WILL be removed without warning.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum may be used for your posts that don't fit elsewhere but please keep it clean, calm and respectful. As elsewhere, politics of any sort (including Club politics) are not permitted.
If you want to meet with others for your personal ride then please use the 'Anyone want to meet me?' forum.
If you want to invite the BM Riders Club to other club events please do it through official channels by contacting the Club Secretary.
Any posts contravening these guidelines may be removed without warning.
DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Bit the bullet and gone to windows 10

Postby DEEP DIVER » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:11 pm

I have been having loads of issues with my home computer and I could not connect to the net. So I had the hard drive wiped clean and a ssd drive fitted with windows 10 on the ssd drive. This allows a fast start up and leaves the main hard drive for storage.
I picked it up a few hours ago and turned it on and it's like it's on turbo power. Real fast, just have to work around the windows 10 setup now.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the old goat!!!!

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Bit the bullet and gone to windows 10

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:45 pm

I upgraded from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 and then to 10.0 when it was offered.

The speed of Windows 10 Edge Browser was a big improvement from Internet Explorer.
It also has a Translator for foreign language websites which can be useful for German BMW sites.

I have now deleted Internet Explorer from my Laptop.

Windows 10 is not perfect and takes a bit of getting used to but stick with it and I'm sure you will get to like it. :smile:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

Ruralman
Club Member 12

Postby Ruralman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:23 pm

I’m much happier with my Apple MacBook it tends to be much faster than Windows computers
Regards
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
2004 K1200rs

'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:48 pm

The SSD makes a massive difference to start up, searches, application start up etc.
You’ll also find the battery lasts sooo much longer.
Ced, that’s it, not talking to you anymore! You got rid of IE and use Edge!!! Edge the biggest pile of poo out, pardon my French :smile:
I actually generally use Chrome, but need IE for a couple of programs at work.
But Edge...... Really!....... some people never learn! :wink: :grin:
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Friedrich 1993 R80RT - a Percheron, but can still mix it with the rest.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:28 pm

hi john
i thought you were a mint user
george
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

DEEP DIVER
Forum User

Postby DEEP DIVER » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:47 pm

One thing I was told to download was "classic shell" it makes the programs show like windows 7 or 8.1 . I will just see how I get on for now.

Barry the old goat!!!!

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:50 pm

.....Ced, that’s it, not talking to you anymore! You got rid of IE and use Edge!!! Edge the biggest pile of poo out, pardon my French :smile:

I can only think that being constantly frustrated with computers John I have finally gone over the edge! #-o :lol:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

Lolo
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:20 pm

Hope you have better luck than me it crashed my computer over and over again. Could not even log on at one point. I had to reset my laptop to factory setting in the end and down load it as a whole from scratch. It was a nightmare. But all is well now.
Living the dream :sunny:

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:21 pm

The joys of computers Lolo!

Hope you and Scott are enjoying life in the warm sunshine! :smile:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:30 pm

I bought an Asus all-in-one pc six months ago, with Win 10 on it. What a load of poo! It is so slow it is ridiculous!

Apart from Win 10 being a bunch of complicated convoluted dung, Edge is totally different to the Firefox I have always used. Win 10 has about 100 background programs running all the time.

I think the main problem is just the poor design/quality of the unit itself: Asus. You can guarantee a minimum 5 second delay every time you click anything.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby P-K » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:24 pm

I have a (now 6 months old) HP all in one.
This runs Win 10.

Getting used to it.
Bit of a culture shock because my old desktop machine, and my laptop both run Windows 7 Professional.

I find 10 OK. Yes it needs customising, but now it's stable its not too bad.
Phil,
''93 R100GSPD : '17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:09 pm

I bought an Asus all-in-one pc six months ago, with Win 10 on it. What a load of poo! It is so slow it is ridiculous!

Apart from Win 10 being a bunch of complicated convoluted dung, Edge is totally different to the Firefox I have always used. Win 10 has about 100 background programs running all the time.

I think the main problem is just the poor design/quality of the unit itself: Asus. You can guarantee a minimum 5 second delay every time you click anything.

That delay is awful!

I use 'CCleaner (Free version)' regularly to keep my laptop clean of junk which builds up and can slow it down.
If you think that this is what might be slowing down your computer you can download 'CCleaner' from the Piriform site below:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download?upgrade

Choose the 'Free' version and you will be taken to the 'Filehippo' site to download.
Choose Download and then 'Save' the ccsetup file when the message box appears at the bottom of the screen.
When the ccsetup file has downloaded select 'Run' from the message box at bottom of the screen

NOTE: When the CCleaner 'Instal' box appears, UNCHECK the 'Instal Google Chrome' tick box (bottom left) before clicking on 'Instal' or you will get Google Chrome installed as well.

I have been using CCleaner for years now and it seems to do a good job of cleaning up junk files.
The Piriform company development server got hacked about a month ago and the hackers put malware on a pre-release update which got released before it was quickly spotted and a clean update sent out to users.
I still had to clear the malware Trojan from my laptop though using 'Malwarebytes'
You are OK with the latest update from the site.

Another possibility for the slow performance is that you could have malware on your Asus PC.
You might try using the free version of 'Malwarebytes' to see if it picks up anything - link below:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
NOTE: Again be careful to look for any tick boxes that you are not also downloading something you do not want.

You used to be able to download 'Malwarebytes Free' direct but I think they have changed their marketing strategy and when you download the Personal Free version they usually give you 14 days free trial of the full version after which you can purchase it or revert to using the limited free version.

P-K recommended this free program to me a while ago and I have been using it successfully for some years now.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Lolo
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:41 pm

The joys of computers Lolo!

Hope you and Scott are enjoying life in the warm sunshine! :smile:
Loving it thanks Ced you must leave your wonderful mansion and come and slum it here with us one day :cool: :cool:

I found it was the constant updates of windows 10 that were the issue and by removing everything and updating the latest version in one go made it work. I must admit its working as well as it did when I first had the computer (8 years ago). Only issue is it wiped microsoft office etc packages so Im now using a free version called 'open office' which seems great. :grin:
Living the dream :sunny:

Mike D
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Mike D » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi Ced,

You may wish to check your version Of CCleaner. Version 5.33 was illegally modified to allow hackers to download the Floxif malware.

Version 5.33 was released on 15th August, and was available to download until 12th September. This hack primarily affects 32 bit Windows PCs.

You can check which version of CCleaner you have by opening the program and looking at the number at the top left. Anything 5.34 and above is safe.

Mike

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that!

Yes , I got the Floxif malware when I downloaded the CCleaner 5.33 update.

However, the developer Piriform were quick enough to spot the hack and immediately alerted users and the authorities which got the website address Floxif was working to shut down and they then sent out the new 5.34 CCleaner update.

I understand that matters are still under investigation and the full purpose of Floxif has not yet been determined.

When CCleaner advised of the hack, I ran the free Malwarebytes program which confirmed I had got the malware and I was able to delete it.

I am currently using the latest CCleaner 5.35 update.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:07 pm

I have Ccleaner installed, I have a paid for version, but I only installed that to try and speed it up. It has been slower than molasses since it was new. I even did a full reset to factory spec after a month or two, but it made no difference.

I should have questioned it from where I bought it, but I use my iPad 90% of the time for surfing.

One odd thing is the file system. There is 900gb for program files, but only 100gb for personal use, something I googled and found I could go in and change. Who buy a 1tb pc to only be allowed 100gb to use??
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

DEEP DIVER
Forum User

Postby DEEP DIVER » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Well folks I have been using windows 10 for a month and it woks well with the ssd drive on startup. I have been able to load and run most of my old software so far. I think the reason mine runs well is because it was a bare drive to start with and not a update? Also I think by now all the bugs have been sorted out.

Barry the old goat!!!!

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:41 am

As mentioned Barry, the SSD will make a lot of difference.

The all in one ASUS, depends on the CPU etc.
Also, ASUS like many manufacturers include 48 million own brand ‘apps’

I always remove all the own brand apps. If advising though, just ensure you have a factory restore version of your operating system first, then go to Programs and Features and remove anything ‘own’ branded.
If you remove some apps, you might find your camera, for example, will only work if you have specific programs for it, Skype for example, you don’t need the ASUS app for the camera to work; not just ASUS, other manufacturers apply. Why would you want your camera to work without a specific purpose!

CCleaner is very good, used for years.

Always worth going into Task Manager and seeing what is running at start up.
Most apps do not need to run at start up; disable them. If not using iTunes, Skype, etc,why is it in Start up! Yes I know iTunes checks for updates, but it also check when you start the app.

I also go into MSConfig and fiddle, as well as the registry, but not going to advise that here. Oh bugger it :grin: if you click on Start (the Windows icon) at the bottom left and type msconfig then press Enter. Go to the Services tab, tick Hide all Microsoft services, see how many other services are showing and choose to untick some. Be careful, don’t do if worried.

Yes I have Mint on another laptop, but as I work in IT and get Office for free, then I’ll use a Windows laptop.

Honestly? I hardly ever get my laptop out at home now, I use the iPad most of the time.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi Join
which version of Mint? I tried it a couple of years ago with Cinnamon and found it flaky

George

macplaxton
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Ireland

Postby macplaxton » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Wife has Mint 18.1 with a Cinnamon desktop. Had to update the kernel to 4.8 though as her computer has a too new Intel wi-fi card for 4.4. It's an Intel NUC7i3BNH with 16GB and a 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M2 SSD.

My ears aren't sore, so it can't be flaky. ;-)

Having said that, I did have a few troubles on a similar box for my father, the issue being the monitor sound and HDMI related. Gave up and fed the audio separate.
'99 R1100RT Image

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi George,

If we had an old laptop at work which wasn’t going to go back out, I stuck On Mint.
So like Max, the last one I used was 18.1.

It wasn’t used in anger, just surfing etc,, but was very happy with it.
I chose update all which included Kernels. If it went wrong, no worries, it wasn’t mission critical.
If I had the brain to fix it, I should have learned more Linux. Ie, if the kernel update buggered it, I would rebuild. That’s the wussy way out of learning more!

Jockboxer
Forum User

Postby Jockboxer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:41 pm

Topical thread for me. I use my 4 year old Toshiba laptop for general internet stuff and sat nav updates. However, Garmin no longer support my old MS OS and I was thinking of buying a new one with SSD. But had on ... Do I gather from the OP that its possible to install Win10 on a separate SSD connected by USB cable? Or did I get that wrong?

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:26 pm

Politely you got it wrong.
It sound like Barry replaced his normal hdd with a ssd.

You can install win 10 from a USB but you are installing to an hdd or ssd

macplaxton
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Ireland

Postby macplaxton » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Do I gather from the OP that its possible to install Win10 on a separate SSD connected by USB cable? Or did I get that wrong?
Official Microsoft answer: No. Unless you have Windows 10 Enterprise edition then you can use Windows To Go to provision a USB drive with a complete and managed Windows 10 system image. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48127

Unofficial answer: Yes. Use WinToUSB to achieve the same. https://lifehacker.com/how-to-run-a-por ... 1565509124
'99 R1100RT Image

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:50 pm

hi
i'm not sure of my plans arm

George

Return to “General Off Topic Chat”