Naval 8" Rapid Fire Guns

Your totally irrelevant posts go here - keep it clean with no flaming and absolutely no politics (Club or otherwise). Posts contravening this WILL be removed without warning.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum may be used for your posts that don't fit elsewhere but please keep it clean, calm and respectful. As elsewhere, politics of any sort (including Club politics) are not permitted.
If you want to meet with others for your personal ride then please use the 'Anyone want to meet me?' forum.
If you want to invite the BM Riders Club to other club events please do it through official channels by contacting the Club Secretary.
Any posts contravening these guidelines may be removed without warning.
Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Naval 8" Rapid Fire Guns

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 pm

Naval 8" Rapid Fire Gun Turret Operation:

https://youtu.be/OrWd1e3aqUs
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Re: Naval 8" Rapid Fire Guns

Postby DEEP DIVER » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:54 pm

As a apprentice engineer the company I worked for in Ipswich used to build 4.5" shell hoists for the Royal Navy and Nato ships. We had part of the heavy machine shop set up with false floors to build them up in for testing. When ready the Royal Navy used to send a inspection team to check each one over before they accepted it. We had to test each one be moving 40 4.5" shells each weighing 56lbs up to the top. It had to be done in under 2 mins. All the apprentice's were roped in the find the fasted ones for the testing. Once all the shells were up we then reversed the drive and got them all down again. This went on for weeks till we got the time down for the testing. If you missed 1 shell you had to stop and bring them all down and start again. I was on the final team and we did 40 shells in 1 min 58 sec on the day of the test. Once each hoist was passed they would be dismantled and sent to Swan Hunters on the Tyne to be fitted in the ships.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the old goat!!!!

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm

H Barry,

That's quite interesting!

I think that you and I have similar interests judging by your responses to my non-motorcycle posts! :grin:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:53 am

I had a good look around the USS Alabama in Mobile a few years ago, that is an impressive day out.

Crew originally had to climb down to the depths of the bilges to get up into the gun turrets. A long, scary escape route should abandon ship be called......

Later however they cut access holes further up.

The gun guidance system was an incredibly complicated room full of various devices and electrical magic.

Well worth a visit if every anybody is in Mobile.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:49 am

I had a good look around the USS Alabama in Mobile a few years ago, that is an impressive day out.

Crew originally had to climb down to the depths of the bilges to get up into the gun turrets. A long, scary escape route should abandon ship be called......

Later however they cut access holes further up.

The gun guidance system was an incredibly complicated room full of various devices and electrical magic.

Well worth a visit if every anybody is in Mobile.

Wow! I would have liked to have seen that ship!

I don't think I would have liked to have been gun crew in a turret with no easy exit though!
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Return to “General Off Topic Chat”