My new and first BMW

Tell us about your bike and show us photos

Moderator: Moderators

gautrek
Forum User
Country of Residence: england

My new and first BMW

Postby gautrek » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:59 pm

Here are some piccies of my new to me R80 Rt with 85 thou on the clock.Its an 83 model and minus the fairing.It has had about £2000 spent on it over the last few years and has hardly done any miles since then.Its had stuff like new head races,new shocks,carb rebuilds,rings,new seat loads of stainless fittings,new hoses and rubbers etc.I have all the MOT's,Tax discs,and receipts for the items fitted.Plus i have the original BMW panniers as well.

The story goes that the guy who was building it last year rushed the paint job as summer was running out.So its just had a quick spray over and its chipped in places.But i do like the colour(as does everyone who has seen it) and will tart it up later in the year.It also needs some stripes to finish it off.Plus i do like the bead blasted rocker covers.As i hate the black painted ones.

So far i have had to sort the rear brake light switch out and still need to un stick the chokes.But apart form these small issues i love it.I have never ridden a beemer before so its taking a bit of getting used to.But it just feels like a rather well put together Ural :smt077
Last edited by gautrek on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit
1937 350cc Panther trials bike
1936 350 cc Panther model 85

moorlander999

Re: My new and first BMW

Postby moorlander999 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:16 pm

no pics'

#-o

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Is that better?
I have just found out i have run out of space on my web site.Bummer
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

Stitch
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Stitch » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:18 am

Much better!

Pretty bike - enjoy!
Cheers, Stitch.
'07 BMW G650 XCountry (black/silver)
'02 BMW R1100RS SE (red)
'90 Kawasaki GTR1000 + Hedingham XL (metallic blue)
'77 Honda CB400F Super Sport (red)
'52 Francis Barnett Falcon 58 (two-tone - blue & rust......)

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:54 pm

Well i had my first proper run out on the bike today.I went out with a mate on his 1969 T120 Bonnie.very nice ride we had to.Popped over to Rockingham classics to look at the new Guzzi's as my mate is toying with buying one.Had a droll over a MKII Le mans which had just been sold.I had forgotten how well a T120 goes.

But i love the beemer.Had a major scare over the last few days as i thought i had low oil pressure as the tick over can be a bit erratic and i thought the oil light was coming on at around1000 rpm.But after riding around a bit more in the day time and then studying the idiot lights i have since found out that what i thought was the oil light is in fact the genny light.Which only comes on once the engine stumbles a bit while ticking over.But the bike is going a lot better now since its had a few longish high speed runs. So panic over. \:D/

But all in all i wish i had brought one years ago.They do exactly what they say on tin.It would also appear a few more of my mates are looking at buying old boxers as they have got to old to ride sport bikes and the appeal of stupid speeds has since worn off.In fact one has been looking at the same bikes on ebay that i have.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:14 pm

I took MRS gautrek out on the bike today.She loved it.So comfy and smooth which i what i have been saying to her while i have been looking at getting one.
I also fixed the sticking choke issue.I took one carb off and stripped the choke out.But on assembly it would seem that who ever assembled them had put the choke levers on up side down.So the spring wasn't actually pulling the lever all the way back.So it was sticking half on.I like easy fixes like this.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:45 pm

I have now found out that the front mudguard was also fitted the wrong way round.After taking it off to see about fitting a mud flap to stop the cow poo from spraying up the front of the engine.I noticed that the rear had a nicer shape than the front edge so i tried it the other way round and it fits lower now at the back than before.So no mud flap needed.It also looks better now.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

BeemerBaz
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby BeemerBaz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:56 am

Hi Kev,

Nice looking machine, almost like mine except mine is an '86 Purple and an outfit !!

We really must be meeting up soon. I hope to collect mine this thursday / friday having had the hydraulic disk on the chair connected up.
Owner of a 2004 R1150RT
http://www.screwsontour.co.uk

l200lfm

Postby l200lfm » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:13 pm

I also like the colour, it looks a nice bike.

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:27 pm

Just a quick update.As I posted above I have finally sorted the sticking choke issue.
I thought I had cured it months ago.But after having major starting issues now the cold weather has appeared I took a closer look.It would seem the LH side choke has been sticking slightly on for months and is not closing properly either.So on Friday I took the cables off and oiled them and the took the choke units off the carbs and stripped them down.
Basically the choke units seemed stiff in operation and the springs were not strong enough to close them properly.So I thought sod it so a call to Motorbins was made about 2pm on Friday.So new cables,springs and the small O rings were ordered.Which turned up by sat dinner time. =D> Hows that for service.

So once I fitted the new O rings(which seemed thinner that the ones on the bike) i could tell that the chokes were much easier to operate.So with new springs and cables fitted they now actually open and shut as was originally intended.I do think I need to adjust the tick over now as i think the sticking choke was giving me a slightly fast tick over.but i intend doing a few mile before I adjust that.
Now i don't now if the new petrol has got anything to do with the O rings being bigger( have they swelled up) or is it just a case of some one fitting some near enough ones :?:
I think next on the list are new throttle cables but i may drop the bike off at Boxermans some time soon and get him to fit and adjust the carbs while he is at it.As i am local to him.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

Return to “What's Yours Like?”