Big Red

Tell us about your bike and show us photos

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Rowland

Big Red

Postby Marcus Rowland » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:21 pm

This is my "new" L-reg (actually 1992 but first licensed in 1993) R80RT, which I've had for a couple of weeks now. So far it's going very well indeed, and I've christened it Big Red. It's pretty much the stock model, except I've had an immobiliser fitted - since I park outdoors I couldn't get a fully comprehensive policy without one. It'll pay for itself in reduced premiums in a couple of years, less if I have to make a claim since it halves the excess on the policy. Here it's parked in my front garden:

Originally it didn't have the top box, which I picked up on ebay for a ridiculous £13.51 plus P&P. Since taking the pictures I've added a clock; not the real BMW one, there's no wiring harness for it and I didn't want to mess about adding one, but I found a very nice water-resistant battery clock that fits one of the 52mm holes perfectly and looks right - and a 12V socket and bracket for my satnav. I'm not really planning to modify it beyond that, except possibly add a bigger top box that'll hold a helmet if I can find one that actually fits the R80 luggage rack properly.

So far I've found that the thing that takes most getting used to is having the big windscreen; while my previous R80s and K75 had windscreens, they were fairly small and I generally looked over them, not through them. I've mostly been riding this bike with my visor semi-open, not shut, even in light rain, which is a real revelation.

My biggest problem so far has been nothing to do with the bike - I live and work in Westminster, one of the few boroughs to charge for parking bikes, and it's cheapest for me to have a residential parking permit which covers my local area plus all Westminster bike bays. If you don't live in Westminster you use the normal pay-by-phone system, which works well (I used it for a while before they organized the residents permit thing), but if you get a residents permit they have to enter you manually into the pay-by-phone system from a different office or something. This was done properly when I originally registered my last Boxer, but both times I've transferred the permit to another bike there have been problems - this time I've had four tickets in two weeks. Allegedly it's sorted now, but we shall see...

Marcus Rowland

Re: Big Red

Postby Marcus Rowland » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 pm

One question I forgot to ask above - there are a couple of small chips in the paint, the largest is the mark just below the luggage rack support where something has gouged the fibre-glass slightly. I want to patch that, does anyone know which of the BMW colours this is? I went to the site with the paint selection guide, it has two reds listed and I'm not sure which it is.

goldenoldy
Forum User
Country of Residence: united kingdom

Postby goldenoldy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:03 am

Hi, have you considered a ground anchor for further peace of mind? I use one, I live in Manchester and even though garaged I feel happier in my mind that the bike is also secured to a good quality anchor.as for the colour, does the bike have a paint code on a plate under the saddle?
Brian

Andy Raggett
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Postby Andy Raggett » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi Marcus, that is a good looking RT you have there.
If you look under the seat, you might find that the paint code sticker is still there. Regarding the high screen, it does look as if an extra tall screen has been fitted by a previous owner. I had 2 R100RTs some years ago and I didn't like the heavy black banding around the screen edge, so took it off. Though looking at your bike the banding appears to be of a narrower gauge than mine used to be.

Marcus Rowland

Postby Marcus Rowland » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:20 pm

goldenoldy - The concrete is so rotten at this point that anyone seriously wanting to steal the bike could easily steal the mount too! One of my plans for the future is to put some paving slabs down to give the bike better support, but it's a shared front garden and getting everyone to agree to pay for new concrete would be a nightmare. And getting it done at London prices would probably cost more than the bike!

Andy Raggett - I looked but can't see anything that looks like a colour code. I'll have another look though.

goldenoldy
Forum User

Postby goldenoldy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:34 pm

have you tried the paint finder tool in the left hand column on the home page? its quite useful.

Marcus Rowland

Postby Marcus Rowland » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:35 pm

have you tried the paint finder tool in the left hand column on the home page? its quite useful.
The choice it gives are two reds, but I don't know which is correct - should I be seeing the colour somewhere?

goldenoldy
Forum User

Postby goldenoldy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:29 pm

The choice it gives are two reds, but I don't know which is correct - should I be seeing the colour somewhere?
No, sorry, you need the code. mines on a plate under the seat, hopefully someone with the same colour bike will be along soon. Brian

Redbaron
Forum User

Postby Redbaron » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Yours looks the same as mine, H reg R80RT, colour red metallic 654, number should be on the mudguard under the seat.
George Strong
1991 R80RT red metallic 654

Marcus Rowland

Postby Marcus Rowland » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:39 am

I'll check it out.

Redbaron
Forum User

Postby Redbaron » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:43 am

Pics of mine for comparison if it helps.
Dscn1677a12x8.jpg
1991 BMW R80RTthm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Strong
1991 R80RT red metallic 654

Old Foxy
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Old Foxy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:18 am

+1 on 654 - same as my 1989 R100RT

Marcus Rowland

Postby Marcus Rowland » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:10 pm

+1 on 654 - same as my 1989 R100RT
Thanks to you both - certainly looks right, considering the largest mark is 2" long I think I might as well get a touch-up pot, see how it goes.

Return to “What's Yours Like?”