Not a BMW.

Tell us about your bike and show us photos

Moderator: Moderators

gautrek
Forum User
Country of Residence: england

Not a BMW.

Postby gautrek » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:47 pm

I am a great believer in fate and doing right by people (what goes a round comes around) I think the following story explains why.

While I was riding around the trial area at the 1000 bikes do at Mallory this year on my panther I was accosted by a random stranger. He wandered over and said I have been looking for you. To which I replied why? He then went on to tell me that he had rescued a pre war panther frame and forks out of a skip about 20 years ago and he had finally realised that he would never get round to doing anything with it. So he said I could have it. To which I replied ok and then asked how much. He said no you can have it for free as long as I gave him a go when its done. He gave me his phone number and then wandered off.

So later in the week I decided to phone him and he said the frame is yours if you want it. I then went ot the set up day for founders day the which was the weekend after Mallory. My dad was talking to a fellow Taverners section member who mentioned that he had a engine which was very similar to mine knocking about and if I wanted it them I could have it for a fair price. On the proviso that he had a go on the finished bike. I popped up to see the engine and it turned out to be a 1938 350cc twin port Redwing. Which as luck would have it was fitted to the exact same frame as I was being offered.

So any way the frame was duly picked up last Friday after a nightmare journey to Duxford to drop my mate off and then a down to London. I did a round trip of nearly 300 miles and spent most of the day sat in traffic on the M11 and A14 due to all of London leaving to go on holiday(M11) and some tosser driving down the bank into a ditch (a14).

So on Saturday I had a dry build( along with various bits myself and my dad have ended up with over the years).

The engine looks like it just needs a strip down and a clean as its on +60 on the bore with very slight wear, the bottom end feels fine ,the carb is nearly new and complete apart from a main jet. I have got a 3 speed gearbox to use and will be making this hand change. The tank is a bit of a mess but i am going to buy a gas torch so i can have a go at brazing it up myself.

The forks still bounce up and down so at least they are not seized and they look fairly straight and not too corroded. Which if you bear in mind that Girder forks are going for over £500 on ebay at the moment is a bit of a result

I even found this on the front guard. which will be going back on once it rebuilt.

I'm well chuffed as this stands me at about £240 so far.
This is what the bike should look like once done.

So I will have a 350 cc bike with a whole 11HP to play with :grin: 75MPh and about 100 MPG
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit
1937 350cc Panther trials bike
1936 350 cc Panther model 85

bwprice100
Forum User
Country of Residence: Wales

Re: Not a BMW.

Postby bwprice100 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:51 am

Great story. :)

Brian
1958 R26, (not so many bits now)
1978 R75/7, (a project bike)
1981 R80, (was a TIC)
1995 R1100RT, (speeding ticket the first day I rode it) (Sold)
http://www.eBolt.co.uk
http://www.ToolroomChucks.co.uk

goldenoldy
Forum User
Country of Residence: united kingdom

Postby goldenoldy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:24 pm

Welcome, been a bit about Panthers on here recently. Interesting looking at the price list for extras!
Brian

Ruralman
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Ruralman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:16 pm

I had a Panther 600 many years ago, haven't seen one for years!
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
2004 K1200rs

'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:22 pm

HI BA*****D!!! =D>

Then you got this weeks Lottery numbers as well!! :bounce:

I bet someone even offers you a pair of wheels and new tyres! \:D/

And someone offers you free powdercoating :drunken:

Then some magazine will pay you a fortune to talk about how unlucky you were to have to use your own gearbox :-({|=

You are a lucky lad, and I am not at all envious
George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:46 pm

That's fantastic!

Another Panther about to be re-born! :grin:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:48 pm

HI BA*****D!!! =D>

Then you got this weeks Lottery numbers as well!! :bounce:

I bet someone even offers you a pair of wheels and new tyres! \:D/

And someone offers you free powdercoating :drunken:

Then some magazine will pay you a fortune to talk about how unlucky you were to have to use your own gearbox :-({|=

You are a lucky lad, and I am not at all envious
George

That's close but not quite right. Someone one on the Panther owners club forum is after a Miller Dynamo which has the points mounted on the end. As fitted to Red Panthers. He is up for swaps as well. Guess what we have lying around in the garage :grin:

Oh and I have already bought a rear hub off ebay (which appeared on fleabay sat eve just before I popped on to take a look). With a fair buy it now price so that was snapped up. I will be scouring the net for a primary chain case now. I could actually do with some one offering free pipe bending and silencers instead of powder coating. As I think its about £130 a pipe for stainless ones and then about £70 a silencer :roll:
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi
I met a man some years ago who bought stainless pipes with bends and welded them together.

I think the original use of the pipe sections was in the dairy trade

George

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi
I met a man some years ago who bought stainless pipes with bends and welded them together.

I think the original use of the pipe sections was in the dairy trade

George
If you had seen my welding then you would understand why this would a non starter for me.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:39 pm

Well it turns out that I have a very early Panther frame which would explain why I am having issues with the gearbox adjuster and the tank mount. Its also made out of thinner tube(28 mm instead of 32mm) . But after posting on the Panther site about my issues a very nice man has said he is after an early frame and has a later frame for swaps. So I may not have to butcher this frame after all.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:51 pm

I found out the other day the 70 odd year old geabox main shaft as badly bent. So a quick sketch to the spares guy in the owners club to see if they have any and a brand new remade one has dropped through the letter box. Only £50 as well. What a happy bunnie I am

Sent from a galaxy far far away using my fat fingers.So my speeling may be carp
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi
a plan coming together then
George

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:16 am

Just a quick update. I have recently bit the bullet and bought a throw away tipped turning tool. I can now turn parts on my lathe without having to try to grind the tool every 3rd cut. So i can now turn small lumps of stainless into scrap metal in even quicker time now. So after a few days in the garage knocking up spacers and footrest mounts I am starting to try to line the drive train up and sort out the wheel spindles and spacers. The bike has had its gearbox rebuilt with new bushes and bearings and a proper end cover has been fitted (after buying a complete box and clutch for £100). I am even fitting the old nuts from my new box as they are a different shape to modern nuts. I am trying to re use as much of the old frame as possible so I have most of the old engine studs cleaned up to reuse.

here is the box loosely fitted while I am lining everything up. The studs are too long and will be cut down once I am happy its all in line, The kick start is an old cut about one from when this box was fitted to my trial bike,the footrest is a new one from the owners club fitted onto the old mount (which I have now remade as the one in image is beyond use).

Here you can see the ali spacer fitted under the magneto to line the gears up(it should have a mag/dyno fitted) as I am using this as a proper magneto is unobtainable. You can also see one of my home made footrest tubes loosely fitted. We have made a spacer to locate the magneto gear on the magneto and I will need to knock up some magneto straps to hold it all in place. My plan is to build the bike as it is at the moment and make sure it runs this summer and then next winter strip it down and get it painted and chromed.

Oh I was chatting to a mate about buying some kit to braze the tank and he said I have an old oxy/acetylene kit you can have as I don't use it any more :grin:
So I now have my own welding kit so will be buying some gas after chrimbo to start attacking the tank.

Oh and the other day SWMBO said (without any prompting from me) said as you are struggling for room in the garage why don't you keep a couple of bikes in the passage way between the garage and the house =D> I had thought of this myself but had not broached the subject as I couldn't seem to find the right time. So once i have fitted a door to the garden end of the passage way then I can move both my panthers out and have some breathing space.
Last edited by gautrek on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi
Merry Christmas, but it sounds like you dont need my good wishes

George

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:38 pm

Well its been a quiet on the rebuild front. Mainly due to running out of space in the garage ( due to be sorted with the move of a couple of bikes into the passageway when a gate gets added to the end). The move to a new job so more time and less feeling knackered at nights and it being too bloody hot at nights. But I have sent the forks away to be re bushed so they should be coming back soon, The tank is away being rebuilt and resprayed at the cost of £600 (ouch). I have had a price for bending 2 stainless exhaust pipes up so that another job sorted when I get there.
But I am now getting my head round restarting the rebuild. I have been knocking up hand change rods and levers and the other numerous jobs which need doing but seem to take for ever to do.

I also took the gearbox out of my panther trial bike to replace the gearbox sprocket. The mainshaft needed to come out due to the sprocket being too small to fit over the clutch mount. I found out that the output bearing was knackered and the bushes in the output gear were worn. The bearing is an odd size as its 2 1/4" OD X 7/16" Wide and with a 30mm Bore. So after ordering 2 off ebay which turned out to be for the next size up gearbox so are too big . A mate has made me a couple of the output bushes in some phozy bronze I picked up. I popped down to my local bearing supplier who spent about 15 mins looking through all the books he had and going on the interweb to be told "sorry mate but you have no chance".Luckily for me the Vintage bearing company have had some remade so have them in stock. So I have ordered a couple so I can do my new bikes box as well. Not a bad price either as its £39 plus vat plus p&P each.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi
sounds like things are going well
George

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:02 pm

Well after months and months there is progress. My forks have been re bushed and straightened by a very nice man. My wheels have been rebuilt and I decided to do a dry build today.

I didn't realise until I dropped it of my bench on its wheels how small it is. The front mudguard is away at a repairers and should be back soon. I am going to mount the rear guard next then i can fit the number plate and the tool box then get the exhausts made up. this bike will be on the panther stand at founders day this year.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:39 pm

Awesome work (and Luck!)

But then again Nice Folks make for Nice Luck

Health to ride and Enjoy!
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

Ruralman
Club Member 12

Not a BMW.

Postby Ruralman » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Nice job

Keith Hillier
BM Riders Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:08 pm

Only just seen this thread Gautrek, very nice.
Notice you have the same seat as my Consort.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Friedrich 1993 R80RT - a Percheron, but can still mix it with the rest.

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:07 pm

There has been more progress. I picked up my centre stand from the welders who had built the worn holes up for me. So that meant that on the hottest week of the year so far I have been stuck in my garage filing holes out round and making some shouldered nuts and plates to mount the stand. I didn't have any stand mounting plates so after seeing a photo on the web I made a set up. I will need another set for my dads rebuild as well.
here is the stand loosely mounted to check it fits before the plates and spacers get welded up. I need to slim the long hex nut down but this was just my first trial fit and involved much machining of spacers and nuts. It was then too bloody hot to carry on.

My rear brake clevis joints and adjuster came this week also so I made up a brake rod and threaded the ends to take the fittings. I will cut the rod down to length once the footrest position is finalised and then the rear brake can be placed in place as well. I have just noticed the RH foot rest is still too far out from the side of the bike (even more so when trying to use the brake lever) so the mount will need cutting down again. The red plates you can see in this picture are just so i can stand the engine and frame on a bench once the wheels are out.

I have just took delivery of some rivets and a rivet set tool so I can fit the mudguard mounts onto the mudguard and then hopefully mount the guard.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:19 pm

My Panther has been away having some exhausts bent up. I was expecting it to be finished some time soon. But first I got a phone call the other week from the guy who is repairing my front mudguard to say its finished. So I popped over to pick that up and then the exhaust guy phoned last week to say they are done as well.

I picked the bike up the other week and had a look at it with the mudguard mounted. This is what the front guard looked like when I took it be repaired.

This is the bike as it stands at the moment. The mudguard will need a good fill when its painted as its still pitted and a bit rough looking in places . But he has added lots of new metal to the front and back and generally sorted most of the cracks and other issues I had

The exhaust guy has bent the hand change lever for me and the gearchange rod just about clears the exhaust.

So I have ordered some 6mm stainless bar to make a new lower lever up which will be cranked over to move the rod further away from the exhaust. I am so glad we decided to move the gearchange rod instead of adding a kink to the exhaust. These pipes will look awesome when they are chromed up. I didn't want stainless ( he did offer the do them in stainless) as I think chrome looks so much better on exhausts and stainless tends to discolour fairly quickly . Oh and I have added a domed front part to the primary chaincase to cover the front sprocket and that is away at the welders being glued together. Its a shame I couldn't find a proper tin chaincase but they are rarer than rocking horse pooh.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:03 pm

They look like Enfield silencers ?? Looks good from the rear. Like big gun barrels.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the old goat!!!!

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:09 pm

They are just universal "Burgess" silencers as fitted to many Brit bikes over the years. They come in numerous pipe diameters and lengths. They are 1" 5/8 diameter pipes (41 and a bit MM) so are impressive to look at.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

gautrek
Forum User

Postby gautrek » Tue May 03, 2016 10:39 pm

The first parts have been fitted in the final rebuild stage.

I sent a few bits down to be chromed and picked them up last week. Chuffed to f*** with them I am. The cap fitted to this petrol tank is a new made stainless one. As the Chromer went though the original one trying to get the rust off. So I ended up buying some 6mm stainless plate and then turning it down on my lathe. I'm rather pleased with the result.

I also fitted the bits to my gearbox. Just to see what they looked like. The kickstart had to be bushed with a Phozie bronze bush. I will split the box and clean it a bit more before the final build.

This is the fianl shot before the strip down. Everything is mounted like the tool box and rear guard. The seat is now finished and the bike is away being blasted and should be at the painters thurs night.
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit

Return to “What's Yours Like?”