Oxidised Alloy Parts Refurb

The place for your short question regarding anything. Posts will be deleted after 14 days

Moderator: Moderators

Rowley Birkin QC
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: England

Oxidised Alloy Parts Refurb

Postby Rowley Birkin QC » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi, I've got what seems to be a basically sound R1150R and the frame and plastics are in very good condition. However, apart from the wheels and final drive, the alloy parts are woefully oxidised and have been badly bodged.

It's all cosmetic but will bug me until they're all the same colour and no flaking paint etc.

So the question is; has anyone any experience, short of a full strip down and blasting etc of refinishing the big alloy parts?

I'm a reasonable DIY 'mechanic' with most tools so some strip down over next winter would be ok but trying to avoid oil out and casing separation etc.

Not lazy but know it would just snowball and I only have so much time and even less money!

Thank you for any tips and pointers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Galactic Greyhound
Club Member 11
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Oxidised Alloy Parts Refurb

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi Rowley,

Try Rub 'n Buff, colour 'Silver Leaf' - link below:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351755687966

First wash all the alloy to be treated to remove oil, grease and dirt.

Then inspect for corrosion, usually present as a hard white compound.
Rub the corrosion down with Wet & Dry paper to leave a smooth surface.

Apply the Rub 'n Buff on a test area using a toothbrush.
Use it sparingly - a little goes a long way.
Wear thin nitrile gloves to keep the stuff off your skin as it is very difficult to remove.
Buff it up for a shinier finish.

I used this for the first time last month on my 1996 R1100RT following recommendation by others on the forum here.

I applied it to my Final Drive, Paralever strut, Rocker Covers, Cylinder head, Cylinder barrel and Footplates.

I am very pleased with the results.

If doing your wheels, be careful to keep it off the tyres - you might be better masking off for this if the rims are bad as it can be difficult to get off the rubber tyre.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

Rowley Birkin QC
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: England

Re: Oxidised Alloy Parts Refurb

Postby Rowley Birkin QC » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi GG, I've had a look on You Tube and it looks promising. I might try it on an inconspicuous part first and see how it goes. I wonder how durable it is though as I'm looking for a long term fix. Thanks for the link too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “Quick Questions”