Hedingham damper unit

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

DessieH
Forum User
Country of Residence: Northern Ireland

Hedingham damper unit

Postby DessieH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi,
I have an R100RT with a Hedingham XL on it , but I think the damper unit may not be working as, when I hit a bump, the sidecar leaps into the air with a resounding bang .The unit is an unusual thing which seems to provide damping in both directions . Can anyone explain how it works and where can I buy a replacement ? Am i right that a non-working damper would do that ? Hedingham seem to have collapsed again ,so there is no help there.
DessieH

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 11
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Re: Hedingham damper unit

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:42 pm

Does the same happen when the sidecar is loaded?
Keith
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
Kawasaki Versys 650

DessieH
Forum User

Postby DessieH » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:39 am

HI,
I'll check how it behaves with a load.
Dessie Haughey

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 11

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:51 am

I posted another reply to your post in the 'other place' (see below) before I saw this, but yes, try it loaded.

"With no load, the spring rate on the torsion bar may be too high to allow the bar to twist when a bump is encountered. Is the sidecar new to you? If it is, a previous owner may have set it up for a passenger and full load of camping gear. My EZS is set up for my 53kg wife and just maybe 20kg of luggage and even it bounces a bit when unloaded."
Keith
R1200RT
Kawasaki Versys 650

DessieH
Forum User

Postby DessieH » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:17 pm

keith,
I've just tried it with a load (my wife ) and it is much better but she says it's very uncomfortable over bumps . When I bounce the sidecar at rest the damper unit only moves 1.5 to 2mm . It seems as if I have only got springing but no damping . The damper unit is really peculiar in that it seems to have damping in both directions , the question is who made them for Hedingham and can they still be bought ?

Dessie Haughey

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 11

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:16 pm

It still sounds as if the torsion bar spring rate is too high and this is resulting in the suspension lifting the chair instead of twisting to absorb the bump. I don't think the damper is the problem as, from what I understand, there is no conventional coil spring associated with the damper unit unless the damper is seized.
Can you take the damper off and run it through its full stroke to check the range of movement and resistance in each direction. If the damper is too stiff or seized, maybe Hagons can help rebuild it. If it turns out to be that the torsion bar is too stiff, then I can't offer any advice I'm afraid.
Keith
PS. It would not be unusual for the damper to have resistance in both directions, usually more on the rebound stroke than compression
Last edited by keiththeoutfitter1 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R1200RT
Kawasaki Versys 650

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 11

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:28 pm

Dessie, there is a Hedingham owners club and they have a technical officer who may be able to help. All contact details are at the bottom of this page:

http://hedinghamsidecars.co.uk/h.s.o.c..html
R1200RT
Kawasaki Versys 650

DessieH
Forum User

Postby DessieH » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:31 pm

Keith,
I know there is and I e-mailed the technical officer about a week ago but there has been no reply . I have also phoned the guy I bought it from whose name is on their web-site and have left a message but,again , no reply . Maybe they only talk to you if you join the club . It's proving very difficult toget info about the damper .

Dessie

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 11

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:10 pm

Firstly, make sure the damper is the problem and not the torsion bar.
If the damper is the problem, are there any markings stamped on the body? It is unlikely that Hedingham had units specially made, they are probably off-the-shelf units originally designed for another use and Googling the stamped name or part number may give a result.
I note that the person given as the technical officer for the club is Keith Walsh, who is the owner/director of Unit/ Hedingham sidecars and if his company has just gone under he may not be answering non-urgent mails at the moment.
Keith
R1200RT
Kawasaki Versys 650

Return to “Sidecar Chat”