floppy back end

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

PhilO
Forum User

floppy back end

Postby PhilO » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:15 pm

My K100 16v rs with Squire ST2 seems to wiggle a lot at the rear end when the road is a bit undulating.
I put this down to the original shocker not being up to the job. What do fellow charioteers do to their back ends to improve ther ride and stability?
Cheers.
PhilO

Richard(Sande)Sanders
Forum User
Country of Residence: Havant, England

Re: floppy back end

Postby Richard(Sande)Sanders » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:47 am

It depends how you define 'wiggle'. If you mean a little bouncy then a new shock may be needed, Hagon do shocks for bikes with chairs fitted. If it is moving or, feels to be, moving from side to side, I would look at swing arm & wheel bearings, also tyres & tyre pressures. It wouldn't hurt to check the chair suspension & wheel bearings, & the bikes front end as well. Start with the easy to sort things first, so check tyre pressures all round, & tyre condition, staying upright all the time causes outfit tyres to wear different to a solo, so bad road surfaces affect the handling more. What feels like a rear end problem may be caused by something elsewhere. Tyre pressures make a big difference to how an outfit handles, & they may not be the pressures give in the bikes handbook. With bike wheels & tyres start at the normal settings & lower a few PSI to see how things change, car tyres will often need to be quite a bit below what you would expect when fitted to an outfit. Each outfit is different so it is a case of finding what works best with your setup.
I have run all my outfits on the standard wheels, with the squarest profile tyre I could get. The only change was to a shock suited to the weight of the outfit plus the most common expected load, including rider & pillion/chair passenger if carried. So if it is used mostly for trips away fully loaded it will need a heavier shock than if it is used just for a rider on their own.

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:44 pm

I wouldn;t go past Realm Engineering Shock

Check out Ram Shocks

I have no connection but have seen a couple and I would much Much much prefer one of these to a Hagon!!!
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

PhilO
Forum User

Postby PhilO » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:59 pm

Thanks for the advice. It is the shocker that needs upgrading. The damping as virtually non existant now and it is sitting a bit low at the back. Ah well, It's only money!
Cheers,
PhilO

Richard(Sande)Sanders
Forum User
Country of Residence: Havant, England

Postby Richard(Sande)Sanders » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:56 pm

At least it's an easy fix, it will pay to have the normal use weight of the outfit handy to get the best shock. So if it used mainly for rallies, with camping kit & passengers, you will need a heavier shock than if it used with just yourself as an everyday bike.

PhilO
Forum User

Postby PhilO » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:43 am

I should have posted this earlier...... I asked Hagon to supply what was required and it transformed the ride.

Return to “Sidecar Chat”