Ferries - Fares for chairs/trikes

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

macplaxton
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Ireland

Ferries - Fares for chairs/trikes

Postby macplaxton » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:59 am

Thought I'd best split this off from my other thread regarding family saloons.
I wouldn't bank on cheaper ferries. Some companies seem to charge as much as for a car.
Name and shame these "rogue" ferry operators!

I'm thinking primarily of the "cartel" on the Irish Sea rather than the Channel ones. Stena these days charge the same for a combo/trikes as a solo - even including trailer (although if my memory is correct, they used to charge a bit more, but not as much as a car more).
All 2 wheeled vehicles with a motor
Trikes, sidecars and trailers are permitted
The cross-over point appears to be car-derived trikes. Reliants 3-wheelers won't make the cut, but a huge v8 motorcycle-derived trike with a trailer would. This I enquired about ten years ago and more or less got the same answer at the time from Stenaline, P&O, Norfolkline & Irish Ferries. I've heard of different experiences between different operators with regards Lomaxes and Morgans on other routes.

Out of curiosity, today I looked at Irish Ferries:
Screenshot_20171015_144912.png
Screenshot_20171015_144754.png
Eh??? :???:

In the past they used to do a sort of 65-75% sidecar rate, so it was a bit more expensive than a solo. They do charge separately for trailers, but then I've heard of them manually applying a 50% discount for them on cruise ferries (rather than the swift). I'm baffled that they are lower now than the solo rates. When did that happen?

[rushes out to buy a tilting shower tray]
Sidewinder Black 001a.jpg
Has anyone else come across other fare anomalies?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'99 R1100RT Image

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Re: Ferries - Fares for chairs/trikes

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:10 am

"I wouldn't bank on cheaper ferries. Some companies seem to charge as much as for a car.
Name and shame these "rogue" ferry operators"

I mostly use P&O Hull-Rotterdam and have just put in details for a hypothetical return trip for 17th to 24th June 2018.

Solo £ 460
Sidecar £502
Car £502.

Keith.
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
Kawasaki Versys 650

macplaxton
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Ireland

Re: Ferries - Fares for chairs/trikes

Postby macplaxton » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:25 am

Thanks for that Keith,

I had a look at the fare breakdown for that operator/route. Very little discount as such for being on two wheels as a solo motorcycle is £21 less each way compared to a car.

Solo m/c + trailer = Combo = Trike = Car Rate

Combo + trailer = Trike + trailer = Car + trailer = +£49.00 single.

Additional passengers +£17.50 single (no concessions for under 16s or seniors)

Fares vary a lot too, unlike the Irish sea crossings which for solos at least are flat rate regardless of time of day / closeness of booking to departure. Even the combo rates only diverge about £4 or £5 from the solo rate over the course of a day.
'99 R1100RT Image

Return to “Sidecar Chat”