Steering damper help

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

Nabsim

Steering damper help

Postby Nabsim » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:03 pm

I want to replace the steering damper on my K1100/Gemini outfit. It looked like it was a VW Transporter damper so I naturally purchased one from GSF only to find that while it looked like the VW unit it was different. The info on the damper is as follows:

Monroe made in Brazil 21501 R1544

Fully in the overall length is 335mm
Fully extended the overall length is 485mm

One end is a standard shock type 10mm bolt hole in rubber mounting but the other has a pin/bolt. The bolt bit is 10mm x 39mm long the shank part is 17mm.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement? I can work round not having the bolt/pin, it's the length and stroke that are important.

stevedowling1
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: Steering damper help

Postby stevedowling1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Did you get a reply to this? If not, Watsonian used to supply them. Otherwise, Heddingham (Unit Sidecars) of Sibble Heddingham in Essex should be able to help.
Regards
Steve

1994 R100RT with Monza Sidecar
1995 MZ 250cc Saxon Tour (nice little runabout)
1970 MZ 250cc Supa Five (in bits)

Nabsim

Re: Steering damper help

Postby Nabsim » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for that. It looks like it is the VW Beetle damper and I got the Transporter one so I bought the wrong part. I did get some responses in pm and other forums. I haven't replaced it yet, still running on the old one as it hasn't given up altogether yet. When better weather gets here (if we get any) I want to set it all up again, the Gemini is that big it's put me off so far but I think I will drop the body off and go through it over a weekend. I want to fit a left foot brake for rear wheel at the same time.

Return to “Sidecar Chat”