hand brake ideas anyone?

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

Tincan3
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

hand brake ideas anyone?

Postby Tincan3 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Do any of you guys have a good idea for a handbrake?
Aside from leaving the bike in gear it seems difficult to come up with a good idea for hand brake. I saw the handbrake on a Ural once but haven't thought up anything suitable for my combination. Once I tried a shaped and cut inner tube bungee on the front brake lever but it seemed something that could fail badly if it snapped!
My house gate is on a slight hill so I have to switch the engine off, leaving the bike in gear in order to open the gate. It would be good to be able to lock on a brake (securely!) without having to stop the engine.
Thanks in anticipation!

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Re: hand brake ideas anyone?

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:48 pm

The old gypsy horse-drawn caravans and steam tractors carried a wooden 'shoe' which was placed behind a wheel when stopping on a hill. The shoe was tied to the vehicle so that it could be driven off up the hill and the shoe recovered at leisure.

If you had a wooden batten or steel prop hinged at the rear of the sidecar it might be released by a pull cord. The device would fall to about a 45 degree angle and dig into the ground preventing rearward motion. The device would not impede forward motion or be a hazard should it deploy accidentally while riding. The sidecar unit could be driven forward with the device deployed when the gate was opened and be reset when safely parked.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

Tincan3
Forum User

Postby Tincan3 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:48 pm

So...I can see it all now....a wedge on a spring that lifts it off and up to stow, once the combo is moving again. That sounds a possibility except that it would work only for rolling backward. Still, a good idea. It reminds me of arriving at the security check-in for the Belfast ferry at Stranraer some years ago. On seeing the combination (a diffferent one in those days) the lone security guy launched into a tip for driving in icy conditions. The trick is to tie a blanket to the rear carrier. Then, when you slither to a stop on a slippery bit, the blanket is placed in front of the rear wheel to give traction. You remount and get going and the blanket follows on its string ready for the next time.
Maybe a sprung metal grip that can be hinged onto the rear tyre? Thanks Galactic Greyhound, I'll have a ponder on that. Cheers! :smile:

Bill Smithson
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Bill Smithson » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:22 am

:idea: Here's a video of a semi-automatic door opener that could be easily modified for a gate.
You can skip the advert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:14 am

:idea: Here's a video of a semi-automatic door opener that could be easily modified for a gate.
You can skip the advert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fantastic - nice and simple and if programmed carefully might even clean your bike! =D> :grin:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi
you can buy a Security device that locks the Brake on with a key

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATATOOL-CROC ... 1447917183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are cheaper versions as well

EDIT
I did not read the OP properly, I was thinking of a long term parking brake

George
Last edited by george baker on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Nabsim

Postby Nabsim » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:46 pm

If you don't already have one you may be able to fit a brake to your sidecar wheel and then get a handbrake lever from a car (or kit car) to make a handbrake mounted on sidecar frame.

As it isn't necessary to have a handbrake you can use a hydraulic lock (banned on trikes and cars now) look if you have space to drill through anywhere and drop a pin in to hold lever on, thats a aviation of what you have already mentioned.

Personally I have a sidecar wheel brake I use to hold the outfit for setting off/hills etc as I can't operate the right foot brake and have never got round to fitting my dual levers or relocating the rear brake. The disk and calliper are Grimeca and look like those on one of those small scooter/moped jobs. Not good enough to do a lot with the weight of my outfit but good for what I use it for. I may convert this to work from a handbrake lever if and when I change my rear brake.

In all the years I have had outfits I have only ever ran a wheel against a kerb or put a lump of wood/brick/stone against sidecar wheel, plus leave it in gear. Have never had a runaway yet (tempting fate) but a handbrake would be better

Tincan3
Forum User

Postby Tincan3 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the ideas. I especially liked the semi-automatic garage door opener. Actually, I have the Smart 2014 version of that which activates at ferry times, ten minutes in advance of me arriving. However, it malfunctioned last Thursday when the open gate tempted about twenty cows to tip-toe in, unseen, in the dark. I didn't know they were interested in garage tools.

Sunday was nice and sunny so I got some work done on the bike and your ideas made me think of an approach for a handbrake I hadn't considered before. So now I have a cunning scheme in mind to make a neat handbrake using existing holes and bolts to lock on the rear brake. When I get it done ~ sometime ~ I'll post it on the forum.

Meanwhile I thought you might like a glimpse of one of the neighbours who would wander in given half a chance:
neighbour2.jpg
On the same theme if some of you fancy an objective in Northumbria there are the Chillingham wild cattle (as below). They were already wild when the herd were enclosed in a big estate in 1437 and were kept ever since for hunting. From April there are guided tours on foot most days. Since the cattle are wild they will charge if approached too close, hence the guide. There is an even sex ratio in the one hundred strong herd so the interactions between bulls can range from stand offs at twenty metres to full blown fights that last for hours and end in a fatality. There is also the estate castle for refreshments and other attractions.

Here is a wild Chillingham guy with his girl:
Chillingham_cattle2013 (6).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:58 pm

HI
... end in a fatality. There is also the estate castle for refreshments...
it's a sort of advanced view of Road Kill? I would prefer my meat well hung but I believe in South America they just use it fresh.

BTW Where in Scotland are you? It is a big place after all.

George

Tincan3
Forum User

Postby Tincan3 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:56 pm

Hi George,
Oooops, I didn't notice that juxtaposition.
The Chillingham cattle are truely wild and are not handled in any way. Any dead animals are recovered for examination for research and are certainly not cooked up in the Castle - otherwise I would be back for a taste for sure! After the hard winter of 1947 only 13 animals were left and the present herd is descended from that group yet there are no inbreeding problems so the genetics are of great interest too. The estate patch they are in is large enough to support about 120 cattle so there is some expansion possible.

Oh, and I'm based on the West Coast on an island near Oban.

Sofa
Forum User
Country of Residence: U.K.

Postby Sofa » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:46 am

Dead simple, a piece of inner tube, or large elastic band, charity rubber wristband et al, pull front brake lever on, stretch band round lever and handlebar grip so tension is sufficient to hold brake on. When not in use stretch round front brake fluid reservoir.
2003 K1200GT Hedingham HUB Sidecar. RSP Top Yoke, RT bars, ABS/Servo removed, Klicktronic. EZS subframe, trail reducing kit and rear wheel. Wheelchair rack. Previous BMWs R80RT mono, R1100GS, R80RT (added a sidecar), R100RT sidecar, K75, K100 sidecar x2, K1100 sidecar, R1150R.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:20 am

HI Sofa,
thats the first post I have seen from you in a while. How are you?

Just to open the gates that sounds OK but I would like better for long term parking if it was my bike.

I have taken to looking at combos again (I MUST stop it)

George

Tincan3
Forum User

Postby Tincan3 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi Sofa,
Thanks for that idea. Yes, I've done that in the past but the rubber doses and can/has snapped at an inappropriate moment.
Also, when I parked in a field once (to visit some kayaker friends camping on the coast) I came back to find cow hairs all over the combination where they had scratched themselves. The bike's rear indicator twisted round AND the front handbrake bungee gone altogether - EATEN !!
So, in short that solution, though handy, a front brake bungee is not completely reliable.
As I say, I think I have a cunning scheme that should work. More when I have had time to try it......

PhilO
Forum User

Postby PhilO » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:32 pm

A chock of wood twixt foot peg and rear brake pedle does it for me.
Phil O

jamo
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby jamo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:04 pm

Take a look at a Jawa Brake on a combo. sits on the front brake lever and a spring loaded plunger is pushed down between the lever and mount. works with cable brakes you might be able to adapt it. or another is the device fitted to my Artic Cat quad this is similar but hinges on the front brake lever.

Tincan3
Forum User

Postby Tincan3 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:46 pm

Hi Jamo,
Thanks for the suggestion. The quad front brake locks are familiar. I did use a succession of rubber bungees on my front brake lever for a while but they kept dozing and failing - then a cow ate the last one.
The problem with keeping the front brake lever engaged is that constant tension has to be applied thus stretching the cable and it also clamps the front calipers on, encouraging them to sieze. My current idea is to use a lever mounted on a downtube to operate a wedge that inserts into the gap between the frame lug for the rear brake light switch and the brake rod end stop. These photos below illustrate the principle. I will be sure to let you know if I get it all working!
handbrake_locked_off.JPG
brake_lever_engaged.JPG
brake_engaged.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:13 am

What about a simple car handbrake lever (Early mini/imp type) that pulls a cable to operate. Mount in a suitable position on a bracket carried on the pillion footrest carrier such that the cable runs along to the brake rod. Clamp the cable to the brake rod with 'U' clamps (Crosby Clips) or a purpose-made clamping arrangement. This would give a pull-on action with a ratchet to ensure full application and a postive hold and automatic compensation for brake wear.

Keith.
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
Kawasaki Versys 650

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:49 pm

I was thinking of this and though something similar to keith

But just make a loop and fit it around the barrel of the brake lever and fit the cable guide up on a bracket welded/tacked to the swingarm tube and transfer across the frame or even all the way around the front to somewhere on the sidecar frame for a traditional handbrake lever
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

Tincan3
Forum User

Postby Tincan3 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:51 pm

Well I should have acted on some of your suggestions!
Parked at the roadside, SE France and walked up to speak to my mates. Then we heard a loud bang.
DSC00083d.JPG
DSC00083f.JPG
DSC00083l.JPG
Now for that handbrake..................

Tango
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Tango » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:24 am

Wow that looked a bit scary, thankfully you and bike OK, shame about the chair though.
Regards,
Marty
(2012) R1200GS
(1992) R80GS
(1987) R100GS Bumble Bee

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:29 am

Hi
Like Tango said, YOU and the Bike are OK, is the sidecar damage cosmetic rather than putting it off the road?

George

Tincan3
Forum User

Postby Tincan3 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the concern. The sidecar is damaged but repairable as it is the fibreglass front that is broken a bit. I did at first think my holiday was finished and that it was going to be a trailer job home. However, since the connections were OK we carried on (down the Appenines in Italy) minus screen and with the front stuck up with duct tape and a second hand Suzuki indicator wired in and bungeed to the front rail.
Some days later, after some off-road, I discovered the rear lower tube connection from the chassis had fractured due to good Scottish rain and internal rust. Close by the campsite there was a welding business so an internal tube was fashioned to project into the frame and sit in the fractured clamp tube. That was all welded together. The welding took ten minutes but removing the sidecar body and then reinstating everything including the connections with the bike took the rest of three and a half hours.
However, three days later the weld fractured again so we strapped the connections together since no further welding was possible (bronze welding near the break). That was in Calabria, Italy (have you seen Italian roads?) and has lasted ever since (c 1500 miles). If you think about it, three turns of webbing from each of four straps is in fact as strong as a weld albeit a bit flexible.
straps1.jpg
The chassis is going to take major work to stiffen it up as there are now no cross links to prevent torsion of the tube the sidecar wheel is mounted on. It might be a close choice between that stiffening option and buying a new chassis as the old one must be around 1960 vintage.
Appennenica 2016 (706).JPG

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Good luck Tincan - hope you get back OK! ☹️

If the worst happens, can you remove the sidecar and ship it back to the UK by road carrier and complete your holiday on just the bike?
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

gogs01
Club Member 12

Postby gogs01 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:04 pm

..... The sidecar is damaged but repairable as it is the fibreglass front that is broken a bit ..... in Calabria, Italy (have you seen Italian roads?) .....
I saw a lot of Italian roads on my trip to Sicily this year - they were awful ! :roll:
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Return to “Sidecar Chat”