Zephyr sidecar

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

Snakeoil

Zephyr sidecar

Postby Snakeoil » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:14 pm

I've found a rig that is 4+ hours from where I live. Owner is an older gent in failing health and does not have a computer. So, I'm stuck in the 1960's as far as getting info on the rig.

He claims that the bike is a Zephyr and made in Czechoslovakia. I spent hours on the web last night and the only Zephyr sidecar I can find is one made in Richmond, VA by a boat company and looks like something out of the Jetsons. My gut tells me the car is a Velorex 560. But his description makes me doubt that.

He said it is shaped like a bullet (Steib, Watsonian, copy?). Has a rounded back (not a Steib but like a Velo). It is made from metal (Steib and not Velo). It has a trunk that opens from the back (not a Velo 560).

So, maybe there was an obsure Czech company that made such a sidecar and they were not imported to the US or in very small numbers.

Has anyone ever heard of a Zephyr side car made in CZ? I'm thinking the UK and European riders have a better chance of knowing about these so hence posting here rather than the US sites.

Thanks,
Rob

Ruralman
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Scotland

Zephyr sidecar

Postby Ruralman » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi Rob,
ImageImage
Regards
Keith :cool:

Snakeoil

Re: Zephyr sidecar

Postby Snakeoil » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:50 am

Thanks, but that is the one made in the USA.

Regards,
Rob

stevedowling1
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: Zephyr sidecar

Postby stevedowling1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Can he give you any idea of age? Is there a plate on the chasis? Are there any other significant features such as aluminium banding and the method used to attach the body to the chasis? Also what type of chasis? There were lots of Steib-like sidecars around eastern Europe in the 1950s. Could it be one of those? Did he say where he got it and when?
Regards
Steve
Regards
Steve

1994 R100RT with Monza Sidecar
1995 MZ 250cc Saxon Tour (nice little runabout)
1970 MZ 250cc Supa Five (in bits)

Return to “Sidecar Chat”