Outfit now being built

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

Sofa
Forum User
Country of Residence: U.K.

Outfit now being built

Postby Sofa » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Finally the "new outfit" is being built. All the bits down at Motopodd who is putting it all together for me.
Sidecar is the Hedingham HUB I got last year, bike is a 2003 K1200GT.
Mod's so far, Servo removed and blanked off properly, new K1200RSP top yolk so K100RT bars now fit, Garmin sat nav holder and new battery all done by Ian at Bike Motor Works in Grendon.
Rod at Motopodd going to build sub frame himself and fit trail reducing plate (to move forks forward on telelever swinging arm), uprated spring for rear shock and 15" wheel and car tyre all supplied by EZS. "Old" klicktronic gear change to be fitted with new "under" handlebar switch, don't get on with the "on" handlebar one. As far as I know only three other K1200RS/GT outfits in the U.K. So watch this space.
If it works well and I like the bike and see a long future for it and I am looking at EZS Hub centre steering conversion.
2003 K1200GT Hedingham HUB Sidecar. RSP Top Yoke, RT bars, ABS/Servo removed, Klicktronic. EZS subframe, trail reducing kit and rear wheel. Wheelchair rack. Previous BMWs R80RT mono, R1100GS, R80RT (added a sidecar), R100RT sidecar, K75, K100 sidecar x2, K1100 sidecar, R1150R.

Twistgrip

Re: Outfit now being built

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:12 pm

With regards to trail reduction on a telelever front end; read this thread from the start,but the fun starts on page 5. I know that Rod frequents that forum,so he's probably aware of the potential problems.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786238

Sofa
Forum User

Postby Sofa » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:16 pm

Interesting, but the telelever on a K is different and the reducer is a big thick steel plate, no cutting and welding going on. As it is from EZS and available in Europe I assume it is approved, tried and tested by them. It is also only really a temporary solution as being an amputee I can't even try the bike solo let alone as an outfit so once I decide I like it either leading links or hub centre will be the final objective. Just didn't want to spend that kind of money on something I can't try until it is finished. It was Rod's idea as I had initially asked him about leading legs and he said no point the EZS plate will do the job.
2003 K1200GT Hedingham HUB Sidecar. RSP Top Yoke, RT bars, ABS/Servo removed, Klicktronic. EZS subframe, trail reducing kit and rear wheel. Wheelchair rack. Previous BMWs R80RT mono, R1100GS, R80RT (added a sidecar), R100RT sidecar, K75, K100 sidecar x2, K1100 sidecar, R1150R.

Sofa
Forum User

Postby Sofa » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:53 am

Well finally arrived just over a week ago. Unfortunately has taken 4 months to build due to circumstances beyond my control and that of Rod at Motopodd (Now called Three Wheels Better). Due to a breaker saying he would supply a K1200RSP top yoke and then not doing so the mod's to the bike before shipping to Rod meant I missed my slot and he had to start another build. Finished that to be given a months notice on his unit so didn't start my build until he had found a unit, fitted it out and moved in early May, then his Dad was taken ill and he spent several weeks in Dorset caring for him. But it is now finished and in use.
Spec as mentioned above but for those interested a few further details. EZS rear wheel conversion, speedo now about 10% out compared to sat nav, so using sat nav until I get used to it. Pulling about 4,300rpm at 70, so loads left, will pull from under 2,000 although much better above that. Cocked up gear change the other day and rolled out of a junction in 4th but with a little clutch slip pulled away O.K. Handling, very sure footed, steering just about the right weight and lots of feel, no head shaking, hands just resting on the handle bars, pretty much like riding with unmodified tele's but lighter and doesn't seen to twist and lock up. The 1200 motor with the smaller back wheel really does seem to be and ideal chair bike, don't know why more aren't out there. More powerful than a K1100, better looking than a 1200LT.
Anyway here is a piccy, taken by a friend at Ton Up Day yesterday, I've not taken any myself yet, too busy catching up on riding. BTW calling it "Heart of Gold" any one guess why?
HeartofGoldcomp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:17 am

That looks great Sofa - nice job!

Happy riding! =D> :grin:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

lordy27

Postby lordy27 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Looks the dogs whatsit =D> Congrats

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Very Nice.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the old goat!!!!

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi
just what the others said, great looker
George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:39 am

+1, Very nice outfit, enjoy!
Keith
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
Kawasaki Versys 650

Nabsim

Postby Nabsim » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:53 pm

Very nice Sofa. What tyres are you running on your 15" EZS rear wheel, I am getting ready for replacements on my 15" Wasps?

Ruralman
Club Member 12

Outfit now being built

Postby Ruralman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:48 pm

Nice looking bike :smile:

Keith Hillier
BM Riders Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com

Sofa
Forum User

Postby Sofa » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:19 am

The tyre came fitted to the wheel from EZS, Toyo 185 55 15.

Sofa
Forum User

Postby Sofa » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:08 pm

Well things have changed a bit and quite a story to be told. But bear with me it is pretty shocking and may be of some use to someone out there.
(I will mention no names or companies in this but if you read the previous posts on this thread...............)

Once delivered I was aware of problems with the outfit, namely when braking or if hitting bumps the mudguard was hitting the fairing. Long story short, heavier spring fitted, then lower fairing cut away, oil cooler moved up, all this done by me and a local independent BMW workshop after many phone calls to the Englishman did not resolve it.

So last August bank Holiday at a sidecar rally I buttonholed the Dutch supplier of the trail reducing kit who happened to be there as I was convinced the fault lie with his kit. He had a look and initially couldn't work out why the bike was sitting so low at the front. Further pulling, pushing and lifting of the front of the sidecar revealed the rear upper mounting appeared to be moving. Looked further and the nut on the end of the tie bar was missing and the threaded end was sliding in and out of the plate bolted to the gearbox. Also noted the front upper appeared to be flexing. The Dutchman told me it was (in his opinion) dangerous and needed sorting. He offered to do this after I said I no longer had faith in the work of The Englishman. Recovered to home to await collection of the outfit which wasn't until December. Other work at the Dutchman's workshop meant my outfit didn't return until last Thursday. Now with a new subframe, a K1200LT spring with a custom made pre tensioner fitted to the standard GT front shock and a few other modifications and fittings.

However this photo may enlighten folk. It is of the mountings/subframe. The Dutch subframe and side plates are the unpainted ones to the right of the pic, the English fittings are the four to the left, painted black. They where fitted directly to M8 threaded holes in the aluminium engine and gearbox and apparently where loose when it came to remove them. I offer nothing but the facts and this photo. Again no names are mentioned.
K12Build1C.jpg
On a more cheerful note I am now back out on the road following a really good job by the Dutchman and some sidecar painting from a local painter now looks proper and hopefully safe!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi Pete,
it is very frustrating when you trust someone to do a job and are let down by their lack of performance. I have had the same sort of problems with "Builders" who convince you they know what they are doing when they are actually "winging it"

I am please you seem to be back on track with the build

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Sofa
Forum User

Postby Sofa » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:47 pm

The actual cost of both subframes was about the same (fitting is a different issue) at £1000. The Englishman could have bought the Dutchman's subframe as the rear wheel and trail reducing kit came from him anyway. The Dutchman having previously fitted a number of sidecars to that model and still had drawings etc to work from. I don't think the Englishman had fitted a sidecar to a monocoque bike before, all his work on bikes with conventional frames seem to be O.K. as far as I know. So why reinvent the wheel especially for a what is probaly going to be a one off when you can just buy the right bits in??

Ruralman
Club Member 12

Outfit now being built

Postby Ruralman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi Pete,
Glad that you've finally got your outfit sorted, it reminds me of a BSA Lightening that I purchased in the 70's, I asked for a sidecar to be fitted.
Sometime after picking it up I was riding along an East Anglian road one of the bottom front fastenings shattered the sidecar dropped and dug into the road forcing the outfit to roll causing a total write off.
It came to light after investigation that the fixing plate was made of an alloy metal instead of steel and this is why it shattered.
Hope your enjoying your repaired outfit.
Regards
Keith

Live to ride, ride to Live ! :bounce:
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
2004 K1200rs

'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Return to “Sidecar Chat”