Looking for info on my Sidecar

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Looking for info on my Sidecar

Postby Jaythro » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:22 am

Hi Folks

I have been looking for historical info on Gemini sidecars to try and trace the history of the sidecaravan

I can't find anything Helpful have you Folks any experience or information even where the company operated from and when they ceased trading??

Any Historical facts or Info about Gemini or Hedingham would be greatly appreciated

"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

tubbs

Re: Looking for info on my Sidecar

Postby tubbs » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:20 am

Hi Jay,

Gemini sidecars were made by Fred Yates in the late 70s early 80s at his home/premises at 285 Dudley Road, Winson Green, Birmingham.

Fred made four models to cope with machine sizes 350cc, 500cc, 650cc and in excess of 750cc. They all looked similar, only differing in size; optional extras were an interior light, sliding window, roof rack, tow bar and a Britax safety seat.

Child/Adult

Double Adult

Three/Four seater

Lo Line Special

He also made one-offs to customers requirements, the Duck is particularly rare and much sought after. They were all on a square section chassis with a Bramber suspension unit. Constructed in marine ply, the lower body was clad in Ali and the upper body covered in a leatherette cloth (thats why they rotted)

Fred gave up making them some years ago, due to a bad heart I think ??. If hes still about he would be an old man now. Jim DArcy ( of Charnwood Classic Sidecars) had the patterns off him and used to make them to order (very expensive!!) he can also supply spares. I dont know how many he built tho (not many probably!!) or if he still does.

Hedingham or UNIT Sidecars were founded in 1978, by Keith Wash. At that time the only sidecar that was made was known as the Sports Touring Hedingham but now known as the SS (single seat) they also produce the UNIT Leading Link front forks.

After a brief hitch earlier this year they were taken over by Broomhill Composites who did the original fibreglass work on the chairs.

They still operate from the same premises and Keith Wash still has some input, if you give him a ring, youll find him a very informative and interesting guy and hell be able to tell you all you need to know.

First production Hedingham SS

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:17 am

Absolutely Superb Mike

From what I see there I have a Lowline special

So they were 70's and Early 80's sidecars
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

Nabsim

Postby Nabsim » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Sorry to drag this old post up again but did you find out any more Jaythro? The pics that Tubbs posted are no longer showing but I think mine is the same as your pic with slight changes. only front sunroof with roof rack where your rear sunroof is, same side and indicator lights, different wheel. I also have tow bar, interior light, sliding window on bike side and mounting for a seat belt for front seat.

On close inspection recently though it looks like only the floor and sides are made of ply with the front, rear and roof being made of hardboard. I only know this as it s getting ready for som renovation on the front/roof, I am going to redo with 1.5mm Ali sheet I think.

Like I say, just wondered if you ad any more info or the missing pics.

Neil

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi
I think I saw one in Preston on Monday when I went to see Dave Cartwright AKA DacCeilings

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Return to “Sidecar Chat”