Now dont get upset but !

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

Tjay533

Re: Now dont get upset but !

Postby Tjay533 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:21 pm

speaking of sidecar events. (Hi George) Is anyone planning to go to the University Of Sidecars event near York next month, held by the Hedingham Club?

Tjay

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi
I didn't know it was on, what happens?

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

RFD
Forum User

Postby RFD » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Hello Tjay , I 'll be there,after last years Bongo session around the camp fire, being entertained by a singing escapologist,plus a run out where it was every man for himself.It is either a never again,or wouldn't miss it for he world kind of weekend.This year they promise a "Live Cabaret Extravaganza" plus an open fire on which to warm your Chesticles. ( that sounds quite painfull ) One thing for sure Frank and Co will be working hard to make sure every one has a good time. Ray

oldmalc

Postby oldmalc » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi everyone, what a great thread! So many excellent reasons for riding such a weird thing as a motorcycle and sidecar. My reason for riding one, in addition to all the joy it gives me, is my age. I'm so old and frail that I don't have the strength to pick up a solo if it falls over!

Best wishes to all, and safe riding.

Malcolm.

Tjay533

Postby Tjay533 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:29 pm

George if you click on this link and scroll down a bit there are the posters for the York event.

http://sidecarland.co.uk/EventsJulytoDec.aspx

If you click on them they download and are a lot easier to read. It's just like the one i have stuck on the fridge door.
RFD has summed it up nicely and its all true - Honest! Luckily the weather was good and the evening entertainment took on a ...er.... shall we say, a surealist quality at times. The ride out was a scream as we all became separated in heavy traffic and the group i was with all had their own ideas of how to get to the Craven Collection, so at the next roundabout we all elegantly peeled off in different directions. It must have looked like a Red Arrows display. The Red Barrows maybe?
Anyway, i think a good time was had by all and i have already booked the Friday off work to start the fun early. Hope to see you there. Anyone else coming?

Tjay

electric_monk
Forum User
Country of Residence: ireland

Postby electric_monk » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:28 am

How would you answer a car driver who asked the same question about bikes?
Don't PANIC!
Think!

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:05 pm

I came to sidecars in the early 60's due to 2 things - financial - you got 50% insurance discount when you fitted a chair - and Max Deubel. =D>

The first is quite definitive, the second due to the Race Charioteers of the day, who always put on a far more exciting show than the solos.

I was lucky enough to rub shoulders in the paddocks with the Continental Sidecar Circus, and some of the Brit Stars too. So, when my 1st Wife was expecting, a sidecar was the obvious choice. It followed the style of my solos - Cafe Racers with Clip ons rear sets, race seat and 16" alloy rims with race tyres. :twisted:

I soon found that pushing the limits with the chair was far more rewarding experience than a solo - sure there were drawbacks - filtering being one of them, but you'd be amazed how far you can go up the inside with your chair wheel delicately balanced and hovering over the pavement! :-"

MOST sidecars of the day [ 60's ] were workhorses, daily commute bikes or family transport. The Mini virtually killed that off overnight. :sad:

Today, what's the pleasure versus the pain? Pleasure of riding and honing the skills would be top. As to the reason "why"....................... Why a caravan when hotels are cheap, why a 4 wheel drive when it never steps off the road, why a 200 mph bike when the speed limit is 70? etc.,etc.,etc. Called personal choice and I suspect those that subscribe couldn't give a flying you know what for the opinions of those that don't.

Me, I'm in the process of collecting all the parts for a roadgoing Max Deubel Sitter homage using my spare R100.
TJ

Tincan3
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Tincan3 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:47 pm

Sidecars are also handy for carrying loads like ladders, planks, sea kayaks.
Here's one I did not try on the mainland. The 6 metre field drain pipe was rigid enough to avoid the tarmac but I had to look out for cow pats in the middle of the road to avoid scooping them up...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Baldyonekenobi

Postby Baldyonekenobi » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:19 pm

This is delight I would like to sample, (see thread bout sidecar hire). Trick is catch 22. What I have learned from the previous thread is: you have to have one to know and you don't know till you have one. It seems there is no sampling or lead-in to it. None of this dipping you toe in. You go the whole hog and buy one and then it seems you are smitten and join yet another exclusive club.

I have no chance of buying one and struggling to keep the solo so this is likely to be a piece of life that is for ever a mystery.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi
that link I sent you do test days and someone organised a day out for the club with them a couple of years ago

EDIT
checked and the days will not be repeated due to the risks involved

George
Last edited by george baker on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Baldyonekenobi

Postby Baldyonekenobi » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Now this is a bit of history. It is 1973. Me on the pumps as a school holiday job. In this year was my first solo ride taught by my Grandad on an old airfield .

Back when trees either side of the A30 met overhead this old guy comes in to the garage for petrol. His wife in the side car. A Panther combo. You could grow tomatoes in the side 'coach' it was so big. He in full Biggles riding gear and a ground length trenchcoat. I wil always remember him standing up and putting all his weight on that kickstart.

When I heard that piston thumping up and down I could almost hear each suck sqeeze bang blow of the four stroke going on. I was in love with bikes and the Panther in particular from then on (several years before I found girls). So worth remembering that apart from my first solo on a suzuki 50 with my Grandad, this Panther combo was my first imprinting with bikes.

In the garage I used to see a processsion of what I now look back on with fond memories of some honest hardware like BSA A10, Norton Commando fastback, R75 in bottle green etc. (plus a swarm of FS1Es) all as daily bikes, not weekenders.

Snowbike

Postby Snowbike » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:36 pm

Sidecars are also handy for carrying loads like ladders, planks, sea kayaks.
Here's one I did not try on the mainland. The 6 metre field drain pipe was rigid enough to avoid the tarmac but I had to look out for cow pats in the middle of the road to avoid scooping them up...
I bet there is no law against that as not a soul have ever thought of that before!
Thank you for posting those pictures! =D>

:smile: Liv.

STrider
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby STrider » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:55 pm

I did, in snow, with a stranger from the Netherlands; WOW!
Errrrr............... Liv....we are talking sidecars here are we? :twisted: :twisted: :grin:
John

F800GS

Snowbike

Postby Snowbike » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:04 pm

I did, in snow, with a stranger from the Netherlands; WOW!
Errrrr............... Liv....we are talking sidecars here are we? :twisted: :twisted: :grin:
You do not know! :grin: I won't tell...
:razz: Liv.

johnr

Postby johnr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:26 pm

What is it you see in sidecars ?

theyre fun! all the enjoyment and pleasure of riding a solo but at half the speed. you cant understand till you ride one. its like asking why would you want a bike, cars are warm, can transport 4 do 50mpg, cheaper to run, keep you dry etc etc etc, its just something you have to experience, and then you either get it or you dont.

gogs01
Club Member 12

Postby gogs01 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:05 pm

As someone who last rode (drove ?) an outfit 47 years ago and got the biggest fright of my life, I can't say I'm a fan.
However, as someone who still has to explain that I really prefer to holiday on a motorbike rather than fly in a nice aeroplane, I really can relate to people who are fans of these things which are not really motorbikes, but definitely aren't cars. I just know when I see someone on an outfit these days that he's on it because he wants to be and he wants to be because it's fun.
Keep having fun - I'll always wave !
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Bill Smithson
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Bill Smithson » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:16 pm

The very last time I rode one was 54 years ago !
It was a 150cc scooter with open ended box sidecar. Mission almost impossible was to collect a motorcycle from a bonded warehouse at Liverpool Docks 8 miles away and deliver it to the owner.
Tie downs, Clamps, Ropes ? No.
Terrified ? Yes.
Necessity being the mother of invention had my jockey sized apprentice sitting on the bike with his little legs braced on the top edge of the box and clutching the front brake.
We rode away with a mixture of Dockland's cheers and jeers ringing in our ears.

Could it be done now ?

PS - He joined the RAF later.

Mike D
Forum User

Postby Mike D » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:46 pm

PS - He joined the RAF later.
Blimey Bill you must have been flying along :razz:

gautrek
Forum User
Country of Residence: england

Postby gautrek » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 pm

Most of the time, though, I tend to just sit there until the driver of the facing car (usually on a single track road), realises that he has reverse, and I don't. They usually grump a bit, but after all, what choice do they have?
I like doing this as well mate.But its even more fun for me as I have a reverse.Just most car drivers are unaware of this.I am just waiting for the cocky car driver who sits there and says "you f'ing reverse mate".
:toothy2:
1983 R80
1975 M66 ural outfit
1937 350cc Panther trials bike
1936 350 cc Panther model 85

Stitch
Forum User

Postby Stitch » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:35 am

:lol: :grin: :lol:
Cheers, Stitch.
'07 BMW G650 XCountry (black/silver)
'02 BMW R1100RS SE (red)
'90 Kawasaki GTR1000 + Hedingham XL (metallic blue)
'77 Honda CB400F Super Sport (red)
'52 Francis Barnett Falcon 58 (two-tone - blue & rust......)

Tincan3
Forum User

Postby Tincan3 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Here's a few more things you can do with a third wheel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tincan3
Forum User

Postby Tincan3 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 pm

More third wheel antics........ :grin:

Tincan3
Forum User

Postby Tincan3 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:52 pm

And, here again, yet another use for a sidecar - mass transport!
This time it was a bee swarm we had to capture and remove to a prepared hive.
They were not too happy with the bumpy ride short thought it was. Two cattle grid didn't help!

boxerman
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby boxerman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Can you imagine the insurance claim??

And how many passengers were in the sidecar......?
Phil Hawksley 'The Boxer Man' - aka 'Dangermouse'
Member #1 Much modified R80G/S - a REAL one
Why not join the BM Riders Club @ http://www.bmridersclub.com
http://www.boxerman.co.uk
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk
https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Can you imagine the insurance claim??

And how many passengers were in the sidecar......?
"only the Queen and a few hangers on!" :smile:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

Return to “Sidecar Chat”