fuel strip

We're a friendly bunch here so why not introduce yourself to the community

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Don't forget that you MUST log-in at least once every six months to keep your account active. Failure to do so will result in your account being deleted on the assumption that it's unused.

PLEASE only use this forum to introduce yourselves - technical queries here are likely to go unanswered.
npotts2

fuel strip

Postby npotts2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi All new to this web site, bought a 2005 BMW R 1200 RT with only 193 miles last year it is new the guy who had it never went out on it now 600 miles on it but had it serviced every year.

Traveling down the motorway and all of a sudden the fuel went to empty and the warning light, pulled into the service area and filled up.

The light still on and flashing low, read many articles about the fuel strip say many things also the BBQ lighter does it work understand the principle in shocking it back to life?

No warranty left and the bike is new but 11 years old looking for advice if anyone can help with the best route to get it fixed #-o

Thanks Normski

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Re: fuel strip

Postby george baker » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:58 pm

Hi
welcome, where are you based

search cos i am sure this Problem has been raised before, i dont know cost i dont have any modern bits on my bike

george
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

farmerboy
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: UK

Postby farmerboy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:02 am

I think you may still be able to get BMW to fix it. I seem to remember they extended the warranty for much older bikers?
2006 R1200 RT
Grey

2000 Cagiva Navigator TL1000S
Red

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Green (kept in Texas)

John

k12pfc
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Portsmouth, England

Postby k12pfc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:51 am

Or do what most people do and totally ignore the strip, even if you get a new one correctly fitted its pure luck whether it lasts or not. The bulb
is annoying though so you may have to remove it. Not much help I'm afraid but these are notorious for failure, I'm lucky mine has failed but it reads 3/4 full no matter how much fuel is in there so I just set trip every time I fill up. Good luck with the bike.

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Postby P-K » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:45 am

I'm on my 5th strip on my R1200R
If it fails again AND if BMW refuse to fix it under warrenty, I'll just manage without.
Bike has a range of over 200 miles, so just fill up and zero the trip. Fill up again at 180 miles.
Simples :smile:
Phil,
''93 R100GSPD : '17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

npotts2

Postby npotts2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi Everyone thanks for your comments phoned Motorrad Chester cost £132 for the part with 2 year warranty and £90 labour might give it a shot

Lolo
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:18 pm

I had 4 put on my bike and in the end when that went too I just ignored it and used the trip meter
Living the dream :sunny:

goldenoldy
Forum User
Country of Residence: united kingdom

Postby goldenoldy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi, mines a 2005'rt and the fuel strip failed last year. Williams in Manchester replaced it, £170 if I remember correctly and two years warranty, there is a thread on a self fix but I'm not sure how long the repair lasted.

Brian

goldenoldy
Forum User

Postby goldenoldy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:16 pm

Shouldn't have said anything!! Display shows zero and flashing with an amber light. It's gone again😡 Dropped into Chester Mottrad to confirm it. Although it was replaced in Manchester, they are happy to carry out the job as the two year warranty doesn't finish till Nov 17. Saves me a trip over to Manchester. But the new warranty will only be for the remainder of the present one. Why????
Brian

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi Brian,

Irene (ex-CAB) says;

In this case they appear to be treating it as a failure within a 'bike' warranty and therefore any existing 'bike' warranty applies.

As such, If it fails again out with the existing 'bike' warranty you would have to pay for a new part which will carry a 2 year 'parts' warranty.

A 'bike' warranty is likely to include labour costs.
A 'parts' warranty may not include labour costs.

Note the difference between a 'bike' warranty and a 'parts' warranty.

If you consider your part was previously replaced under a 'parts' warranty i.e. your 'bike' warranty had expired, then you should indicate this to the dealer as he should give you a new 2-year warranty on the replacement part in accordance with the Manufacture's terms for warranties on replacement parts.

Whether a 'parts' warranty includes fitting costs depends on the warranty terms and conditions and the dealer's goodwill.
If you fit the replacement part yourself then you will likely invalidate the 2 year warranty.

Is he going to fit the new part at no cost to you? - something to consider!
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

goldenoldy
Forum User

Postby goldenoldy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi Ced, there will be no cost to myself. Also with Chester taking it on it saves me a days trip to Manchester. Shame they can't retro fit the old float system eh? They had an 1100 rt in there today, sold. Immaculate and only a couple of 1000 on it.
Brian

goldenoldy
Forum User

Postby goldenoldy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Job done today courtesy of Chester MOTORRAD. However the part only carries the remainder of the failed parts guarantee. BMW's policy.
Apparantly they give a 12 year warranty in the States! Some feed back, many of the failures are when the bikes been standing unused for a long time, which mine had. But I kept the tank at least half full and started it fairly regularly. It was up on the stand. Maybe better kept on it's side stand?
Brian

goldenoldy
Forum User

Postby goldenoldy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Just saw this on the BMW club site. A conversion for the GS fuel sensor ribbon.
Brian

http://hposkam.nl/en/product/bmw-vlotter-converter/

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Hey Brian,

That looks like the answer next time it goes! :grin:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

goldenoldy
Forum User

Postby goldenoldy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Next??!😉 Maybe this one will last.
B.

Mike D
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Mike D » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:41 am

Last fuel strip change...........No chance!

Mike

Return to “Introduce Yourself”