another newbie

We're a friendly bunch here so why not introduce yourself to the community

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Don't forget that you MUST log-in at least once every six months to keep your account active. Failure to do so will result in your account being deleted on the assumption that it's unused.

PLEASE only use this forum to introduce yourselves - technical queries here are likely to go unanswered.
stevesilver
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bromley, S.E England

another newbie

Postby stevesilver » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi all, I have a BMW R1100S, have owned it for 18 months now, fantastic bike except at the moment its not running.

Don't know if it PC to say this but have followed a link from another forum Boxertrixs to this forum.

Says you have the best non starting guide on here.

Am desperate to get bike going again, am just sneaking off now to find it.

Ruralman
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: another newbie

Postby Ruralman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the forum
Good luck with your bike
Regards
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
2004 K1200rs

'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

stevesilver
Forum User

Postby stevesilver » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Wow, found it, its by galactic greyhound.

Very thorough, fingers crossed will help.

Will paste from the "other" forum what the trouble is

Thanks for the tips, my problem started with the alarm that I had to remove, as the internal battery had leaked over a circuit board and wouldnt turn off very well.
The alarm was a laserline and via their website I found a bloke who could make me a device that would plug into the alarm wiring to fool bike into thinking the alarm had never been there in first place.

This 1st device when plugged in seemed to work ok. Cant remember if I tried starting bike, but as I was checking everything I got to the right side indicators and once they were flicked on they wouldn't go off. Even turning ignition off would not turn them off. As soon as ignition turned on again they would light immediately, permanently on, not flashing.

The laserline bloke replaced the first device with another different one. Plugged it in and all seemed well, no indicator problem and all seemed fine. I very briefly started the bike. As bike is in the back of my shop I literally just let it fire up and immediately turned it off so as to not stink shop out.

2 weeks went by before I reassembled the bike. Thought I'd take it outside to take it around the bloke just to make sure all ok.

Bike started fine but sounded bloody awful, like it was full of nails, wouldn't rev properly, spluttering and backfiring and smoking badly.
I think the smoke was due to me cleaning and re-oiling K&N filter, as later inspection would reveal excess oil in air box. (hope so)

Anyhow I turned bike off with kill switch, which now like the indicators seems permanently on. When ignition is turned on now, everything works except fuel pump doesn't make a noise and engine doesn't turn over.

Laser guy wipes his hands of problem and says its my bike......

Since then I have traced back rejoined wires and removed all evidence of the alarm from the bike but its still the same.

Am waiting for a guy called Steve from croydon who is hopefully shit hot on electrics and highly recommended.

in meantime am open to suggestions.

I have no idea whats up as not only does bike not now run but when it last did it ran like a pile of shit :?

Doesnt appear guy from croyden is interested, so am going to try myself.

Whats the worse that can happen? Bike dont go so only thing that could be worse is if it catches fire!

stevesilver
Forum User

Postby stevesilver » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:12 pm

Thanks Ruralman

If I knew how to post a picture, I'd put one up of when it wasnt in bits in the garage.....

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:26 pm

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

The 'R1100RT Not Starting' procedure is written for an Oilhead that suddenly fails to start.
In your case it sounds like the wiring has been messed around with when the alarm was fitted/removed.

The procedure will help in identifying where the problem area lies i.e. not sparking, fuel pump not running etc but the problem will likely not be a normal fault and more like a wire has been disconnected/mis-connected.

This forum is only the 'Introduce Yourself' section and to get the best technical response you should post your problem in the 'Oilhead Q&A's' forum.
COPY your last post here about the problem and then start a NEW Topic in the 'Oilhead Q&A's' forum and PASTE the problem there.
Also advise what year is your R1100S?

Meantime, re the running badly, have a look at your Throttle and Choke cables where they are fitted into their adjuster ferrules on the top of both Throttle Bodies - these cables often pop out of the ferrules when the tank is removed/refitted and cause havoc with the running - check that the cables are seated FULLY in their adjuster ferrules.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:27 am

Check that both the Throttle body butterflies are on their stops with throttles closed

If the cable ferrule has lifted out on one side (Usually the right Side) It will run like a bag of nails!!

I used to have a picture saved but can;t find it on my new computer
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:57 am

Check that both the Throttle body butterflies are on their stops with throttles closed

If the cable ferrule has lifted out on one side (Usually the right Side) It will run like a bag of nails!!

I used to have a picture saved but can;t find it on my new computer

Here it is Jay! :grin:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17696&view=unread#unread

Click to Enlarge/Save As
Throttle cable problem.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Postby P-K » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:05 am

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum :smile:
Phil,
''93 R100GSPD : '17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

stevesilver
Forum User

Postby stevesilver » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:37 am

cheers guys and sorry got carried away.....

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi stevesilver
welcome to the forum, Like Ced said this bit is to introduce yourself, technical problems get more views in the section for each type of bike, Oilhead in your case.

Tell us more about your problem over there and I am sure people will try to get your bike running.

When you are telling us about the problem you could do well to give us a bit more background
1 did it run for most of the 18 months
2 what changed just before it stopped running
I sort of get the idea one day it just would not start and you tracked it down to an immobilizer?

As I say, start a new thread in Oilhead and we can go from there.

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Return to “Introduce Yourself”