What Have You Done To Your Bike Today ?

The new BM Riders Club Forum - OPEN TO ALL

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for the benefit of BM Riders Club Members but is open for all to share so that you can see the advantages of becoming a Club Member which would then permit you to attend Club events.
BigSteve
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: What Have You Done To Your Bike Today ?

Postby BigSteve » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:54 pm

Rode the RT to work today...very impressed with the efficiency of the RT's fairing at deflecting the cold wind off my hands..still wearing summer gloves in the winter... \:D/ :grin:
2004 BMW R 1150 RT
2003 Aprilia ETV Caponord
2000 Aprilia RSV Mille
1990 Kawasaki ZZ-R1100 C1

Jon S
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Jon S » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:18 pm

Far too cold and wet for fun so; it was day spent charging the battery and general tweaking and fettling in the garage.
Numb fingers and toes so it's time to retreat in doors for a large mug of heavily fortified coffee :grin:
"Never push a full commode" :grin:

Jon S
Forum User

Postby Jon S » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Having done some rearranging in the garage and moved my real classic Brit-Iron out of the way I was able to put 'Brunhilde' up on the ramp for some much belated TLC. :smile:
My new rear brake pads and pin and spring set arrived from Motor-Works a couple of weeks back I now have the space to replace the worn brake bits so; suitably refreshed with coffee I set to.
Cleaned the disc, removed the old pads, cleaned the muck and grime off the calliper and put in the new pads and new stainless spring and pins. It ain't arf reduced the brake pedal movement even though the old pads weren't worn down to the limit. :lol:
Next step is to give everything a general tweak and start on a major clean and buff of everything else.

Jon S
Forum User

Postby Jon S » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Just about completed the long overdue TLC and general tweaking on my 79 reg 100RT :grin:. Just need to put the new plugs in and make sure everything is hunky-chunky for the MOT in Feb.
All the main bits, (lights, signals, horn etc), are in order, tyres have only done about 1500 miles, brakes nice and 'positive', no slack in the wheel bearings, steering or swing arm so Mr MOT man shouldn't find anything worth speaking of the last MOT didn't have any advisories so fingers toes and anything else will be firmly crossed :-k .
The wheels have been scrubbed and polished, front and rear brake discs rubbed down with a very fine emery block to remove any rust etc and they're are now nice and shiny. Fairing, tank, front mudguard, exhausts and just about anything else that needed a coat of Autoglym is now gleaming.
Cleaned off the oxide powder from the engine and gear box etc and touched up the BMW stamping on the block and finally, finished off coating it, and just about everything with ACF 50 along with the wheels to keep the worst of the weather damage to a minimum.
The last job is to get the pannier frames and grab rail powder coated then we're ready for the annual 2 days when it doesn't rain, isn't blowing Force 8 and the temp gets above 5C.:grin:
Now it's time to recover from the frost bite, sore fingers and aching knees :wink:

JonS

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi
if you check the last club ezine there is an article on what is checked on MoTs which will act as a memory jogger

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Jon S
Forum User

Postby Jon S » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Thanks for the info George but there's just one snag; as I'm not a club member I can't access the e-zine. However, I have been through the appropriate gov.uk web page that gives the information re: MOT's plus, my friendly local bike fettler knows me well and knows that if I have the slightest doubts then there is probably a valid reason

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi
just recently my usual garage stopped doing MoTs. So the last 2 have been at a mate's garage, gosh they take a pride in picking holes in the bikes, and looking for every little niggle to wind me up.

Is it pushing a full commode to suggest you join us?

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Jon S
Forum User

Postby Jon S » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:34 pm

I feel your pain George, the same has happened to me in the past especially when you take your pride and joy to somewhere new.

JonS

Jon S
Forum User

Postby Jon S » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 pm

The pannier frames and grab rail were looking sad and tatty. The previous owner had hand painted the pannier frames and obviously let his two year old do the job with a toothbrush [-X . The grab rail was dull and generally tired looking.
Took them to my local powder coating place last week and got them back today.
Now 'Brunhilde' has her frames and rail back on and is looking nice and tidy O:)

JonS

Return to “BM Riders Club”