What Have You Done To Your Bike Today ?

The new BM Riders Club Forum - OPEN TO ALL

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for the benefit of BM Riders Club Members but is open for all to share so that you can see the advantages of becoming a Club Member which would then permit you to attend Club events.
BigSteve
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: What Have You Done To Your Bike Today ?

Postby BigSteve » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:54 pm

Rode the RT to work today...very impressed with the efficiency of the RT's fairing at deflecting the cold wind off my hands..still wearing summer gloves in the winter... \:D/ :grin:
2004 BMW R 1150 RT
2003 Aprilia ETV Caponord
2000 Aprilia RSV Mille
1990 Kawasaki ZZ-R1100 C1

Jon S
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Jon S » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:18 pm

Far too cold and wet for fun so; it was day spent charging the battery and general tweaking and fettling in the garage.
Numb fingers and toes so it's time to retreat in doors for a large mug of heavily fortified coffee :grin:
"Never push a full commode" :grin:

Jon S
Club Member 13

Postby Jon S » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Having done some rearranging in the garage and moved my real classic Brit-Iron out of the way I was able to put 'Brunhilde' up on the ramp for some much belated TLC. :smile:
My new rear brake pads and pin and spring set arrived from Motor-Works a couple of weeks back I now have the space to replace the worn brake bits so; suitably refreshed with coffee I set to.
Cleaned the disc, removed the old pads, cleaned the muck and grime off the calliper and put in the new pads and new stainless spring and pins. It ain't arf reduced the brake pedal movement even though the old pads weren't worn down to the limit. :lol:
Next step is to give everything a general tweak and start on a major clean and buff of everything else.

Jon S
Club Member 13

Postby Jon S » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Just about completed the long overdue TLC and general tweaking on my 79 reg 100RT :grin:. Just need to put the new plugs in and make sure everything is hunky-chunky for the MOT in Feb.
All the main bits, (lights, signals, horn etc), are in order, tyres have only done about 1500 miles, brakes nice and 'positive', no slack in the wheel bearings, steering or swing arm so Mr MOT man shouldn't find anything worth speaking of the last MOT didn't have any advisories so fingers toes and anything else will be firmly crossed :-k .
The wheels have been scrubbed and polished, front and rear brake discs rubbed down with a very fine emery block to remove any rust etc and they're are now nice and shiny. Fairing, tank, front mudguard, exhausts and just about anything else that needed a coat of Autoglym is now gleaming.
Cleaned off the oxide powder from the engine and gear box etc and touched up the BMW stamping on the block and finally, finished off coating it, and just about everything with ACF 50 along with the wheels to keep the worst of the weather damage to a minimum.
The last job is to get the pannier frames and grab rail powder coated then we're ready for the annual 2 days when it doesn't rain, isn't blowing Force 8 and the temp gets above 5C.:grin:
Now it's time to recover from the frost bite, sore fingers and aching knees :wink:

JonS

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi
if you check the last club ezine there is an article on what is checked on MoTs which will act as a memory jogger

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Jon S
Club Member 13

Postby Jon S » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Thanks for the info George but there's just one snag; as I'm not a club member I can't access the e-zine. However, I have been through the appropriate gov.uk web page that gives the information re: MOT's plus, my friendly local bike fettler knows me well and knows that if I have the slightest doubts then there is probably a valid reason

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi
just recently my usual garage stopped doing MoTs. So the last 2 have been at a mate's garage, gosh they take a pride in picking holes in the bikes, and looking for every little niggle to wind me up.

Is it pushing a full commode to suggest you join us?

George

Jon S
Club Member 13

Postby Jon S » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:34 pm

I feel your pain George, the same has happened to me in the past especially when you take your pride and joy to somewhere new.

JonS

Jon S
Club Member 13

Postby Jon S » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 pm

The pannier frames and grab rail were looking sad and tatty. The previous owner had hand painted the pannier frames and obviously let his two year old do the job with a toothbrush [-X . The grab rail was dull and generally tired looking.
Took them to my local powder coating place last week and got them back today.
Now 'Brunhilde' has her frames and rail back on and is looking nice and tidy O:)

JonS

Jon S
Club Member 13

Postby Jon S » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:24 pm

Checked battery charge on 'Brunhilde' with the multi meter, (11.6v). Connected up my old faithful Optimate in to boost the battery, switched on, lit up as normal.
Went back a couple of hours later, no change? Checked out put from charger, BOG ALL. :shock:
Off to Halfords to get a new one. Connected up new charger, plugged in and off we go 11.6v to 12.3v after an hour. O:)
Old faithful consigned to bin :-({|=
Just hope the new Optimate lasts 20 years like my old Optimate did. [-o<
JonS

Stephen1955
Forum User
Country of Residence: British

Postby Stephen1955 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi, I’m newly registered. I ride a R850R which I’ve had from new in 2000.Over the years I’ve had problems with the ABS, usually caused by low battery voltage. This time the ABS fault won’t clear. Took it to Blade BMW, they diagnosed an ABS internal piston fault. They will not service the unit but will replace at a cost of £2400 for the part plus labour. This is obviously more than the resale value of the bike. Any suggestions?

Mike D
Forum User

Postby Mike D » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:43 pm

If you have the servo abs unit then it can be removed and revert back to standard hydraulic brakes, of course this means you will not have any ABS function. Do not cut any wires!

Mike
Last edited by Mike D on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Douglas C
Forum User

Postby Douglas C » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:43 pm

It's possible to dismantle and clean the ABS pistons.
There is a a document on ADVrider which describes the procedure, but you have to register to download from them.
Also viewable here: https://issuu.com/lord_dimos/docs/bmw_abs_ii_d_a
I used the method described, and the ABS has been ok since then. The biggest problem I had was finding a thin walled socket for the hex. I ended up sticking an old socket in the lathe and making it a bit thinner , and squaring off the end.
I just did the work from the top, and left the bottom end alone.
Douglas C.

2000 R1150GS
1998 K1200RS (Now gone)
1994 K1100RS (Now gone)
1968 Triumph T120

Stephen1955
Forum User

Postby Stephen1955 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:44 pm

Thank you for the link, it looks promising. I’ll post when I’ve had a go.

mike pace
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: England, UK

Postby mike pace » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:43 pm

Just 30 miles done this afternoon once the roads had dried

Stephen1955
Forum User

Postby Stephen1955 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Many thanks to Douglas C, I followed the advice given and opened up the ABS unit. I removed the pistons cleaned them and changed the brake fluid. It worked!! BMW don’t want to service the unit and wanted £2400 for a replacement; more than the motorcycle is worth.
I would say that the job has to be tackled very carefully, any dirt in the unit or damaged seals might be the end of it.

windmill john
Forum User
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:52 pm

Neglected Schorsch got some loving

Due to spending time on Friedrich and everything was right on Schorsch.... I thought... things ahappened.
Coming home from work, I lost the spacer and bolt from one side of the main stand.
So, due to the fact that the stand was a little worn and for the last three years at least I’ve had a 19 inch front wheel, so the stand wouldn’t lift enough, I removed the stand, went to the Mult Skills Workshop and borrowed their anvil and tig welder.
I have an arc welder, but was worried about blowing through the stand, so asked Dave there to kindly tig a couple of pieces of 3mm steel I had cut and shaped on the anvil.
Ground down, Hammerited, new bungs and spacers, fitted and beautiful, front wheel well off the ground.

My rear break arm had also split, so £38 later off eBay, replacement S/H arm fitted.
Obviously the picture shows the old arm!

E7B357B4-ABC0-405F-AC27-9B8F6BE199C5.jpeg
582E7997-D801-43F9-97B5-2F135C60E1B4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

Froglodyte
Club Member 13

Postby Froglodyte » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Out on a ride this morning, noticed left rear indicator not working, Get home and think, "right, I'll just fix that bulb - 5 minute job." Nope - some previous owner has lost the screws from the lens so glued the buggers on. Looks like I'm on the phone to Motorworks tomorrow for some replacements. Grrrrrr!

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Well on my bikes nothing, but on my trike Herman have been pulling the engine cooling tins and carb off to get at a leaking oil cooler. Found there is a bolt missing from the crankcase halves and the cooler seals had gone hard. Swmbo has said no work now as I am off to hospital Friday the 9th for my hip replacement and must not cut or bruise my leg.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream :smile:
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

Bogger
Forum User

Postby Bogger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:41 pm

Cleaned the R80RT a bit. Then had a cup of tea. Got the freshly painted panniers down from the attic (no they weren't painted in the attic ) ready for the Dragon Rally next weekend.

Bogger

Jon S
Club Member 13

Postby Jon S » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Well nothing on Brunhilde, just waiting for some weather that actually gets above 0 degrees C then I'll replace the rear shocks and take her for an MOT.
In the mean time I've carried out some long planned but over due mod's to my lift table. Now it lifts so much easier and the safety latch can't accidentally disengage itself when the wind blows. [-X
Thank the gods for retired mechanical engineers (me), some off cuts of carbon steel and a MIG welder. :grin:

Memphis Twin
Forum User

Postby Memphis Twin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:48 pm

I have retro-fitted the original rear light and indicator bar to my R65 (now 860cc) monolever, instead of the vintage style rear tail light and bullet indicators it was wearing. I also had previously re-fitted a genuine monolever rear mudguard; yes the square-ish one. I actually really like it, and it does a better job of "guarding against mud" than the earlier round one which is narrower.

With the original rear light assembly I can now open my custom made dual seat (when fitted; it's interchangeable with my usual Police single seat) in order to get to the battery and storage. I won't be putting the original front mudguard back on as it's pig-ugly!

Chris
20180114_130050_resized.jpg
As it was...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:45 pm

MOT yesterday and tax today. Oil change last week, new tyres next week maybe.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Hi Memphis
860 is an odd size- I guess it is 100 barrels on the 65 crank? What else have you done to it?

George

Rasputin
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Rasputin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:59 pm

set out on the RT to commute from Doncaster to Huddersfield at 7 am...after 2 hrs of stationary motorway traffic and snowstorms had made it to Barnsley...turned around and went home. Adjusted bearings on final drive to take care of slight rear wheel play instead...☺
Bmw R1100RT
Harley FXDWGI
Kwak GPZ900RR
Kwak GPZ1100E
Kwak LTD

Return to “BM Riders Club”