Two bikes into one? R1100RS and RNineT

The new BM Riders Club Forum - OPEN TO ALL

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for the benefit of BM Riders Club Members but is open for all to share so that you can see the advantages of becoming a Club Member which would then permit you to attend Club events.
potatan
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Two bikes into one? R1100RS and RNineT

Postby potatan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:40 am

I currently have 2 BMWs, a 2015 R-NineT and a 1998 R1100RS – two very different bikes apart from the engine layout.

I love the NineT for blasting about on, visiting friends, going for quick visits to country pubs, or even just for a point-it-and-go couple of hours trip anywhere - etc. It constantly puts a smile on my face, until I get to about 50 miles then it puts a pain in my arse due to the very uncomfortable seat.

I love the R1100 for long journeys by motorway – last weekend I took it 450 miles to visit a friend for a couple of nights then back again the same distance. It has a custom gel seat and just eats those kind of motorway miles with barely any problems whatsoever. The luggage is pretty good too.

So I’m wondering if I should make some changes to suit my different sets of needs. I love the boxer engine, the low down torque suits my riding style. I love the handling of the NineT on twisty roads and the comfort of the R1100 on long journeys. So I am currently considering two options:

1. Get some aftermarket stuff for the NineT – maybe a comfier seat, some hard luggage, a detachable screen, possibly handguards+heated grips (I get “white finger”). Then I could tour in relative comfort for a few occasions a year while retaining the look and feel of the bike for the rest of the year.
2. Trade them both in for an R1200GS of some sort. This would be a compromise on the looks of the NineT - I’m a fan of the simple clean retro styling, but not sure about the “beakiness” and angular nature of the GS. I assume it would be a compromise on the touring potential too. The RS, while 18 years old, is extraordinarily capable for the type of long distance runs that I would undertake, whereas there looks to be a bit less protection on the GS. I’m not interested in off-road capabilities.

I suppose trying to use any single bike for two very different purposes is going to involve a lesser experience for at least one of those purposes, but out of the two options I’ve given, what would you choose – and why?

Thanks in advance!

Julesx
Forum User
Country of Residence: Surrey, UK

Re: Two bikes into one? R1100RS and RNineT

Postby Julesx » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:00 am

I suspect that your dilemma is shared amongst many bikers! You need a big garage and a different bike for each occaision

I am in the same predicament. I currently run a Harley Heritage and an '82 BM R80. I have toured on the HD but nowadays most of my friends have much more modern and faster bikes (mainly from the BMW fold). I am finding it increasing more difficult to keep pace with them on my HD. My R80 is a bit of classic fun which I plan on keeping. The HD is worth a chunk of cash but mainly sits in the garage awaiting a 'high day and sunny day'!

So I have started looking for an more 'all round' machine' with a view to selling the HD. I have been able to put some miles on a friends 2006 R1200RT and I have to say I was impressed. It doesn't have any of the character that I like in my HD but is a far more capable machine than my HD will ever be. I rather liked it.

I then was able to try another friends BMW K1300S. A good looking bike but whilst the engine was incredible I did not take to the inline 4 reviness as I prefer the delivery of twin cylinder engines. I was also condidering a K1300GT but that has the same engine issues for me.

Like you I am drawn to a GS of some sort but am less convinced about the look although I suspect once I ride one the looks may not be so important.

Also on the list were a 1300 Pan (have had an 1100 - which for an old bike was pretty good) and a Yamaha FJR 1300 but have yet to ride them.

So while this is of no help to you I will watch this thread and hope for some inspiration from those who may have solved this choice!

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi Julesx
we need different bikes for different days, how about a R1200 custom?

HD 007 looks, Twin, HD seat height, there may be an engine mod for more power

But what I need is a small-ish, light single that is cheap to run can cope on the motorway for an hour and I could take green laning., to go with one I like more than the R but with its' character, with the power and fuel consumption of the K

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

gogs01
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:40 pm

I currently have 2 BMWs, a 2015 R-NineT and a 1998 R1100RS – two very different bikes apart from the engine layout ..... I love the boxer engine, the low down torque suits my riding style. I love the handling of the NineT on twisty roads and the comfort of the R1100 on long journeys. So I am currently considering two options:

1. Get some aftermarket stuff for the NineT – maybe a comfier seat, some hard luggage, a detachable screen, possibly handguards+heated grips (I get “white finger”). Then I could tour in relative comfort for a few occasions a year while retaining the look and feel of the bike for the rest of the year.
2. Trade them both in for an R1200GS of some sort. This would be a compromise on the looks of the NineT - I’m a fan of the simple clean retro styling, but not sure about the “beakiness” and angular nature of the GS. I assume it would be a compromise on the touring potential too. The RS, while 18 years old, is extraordinarily capable for the type of long distance runs that I would undertake, whereas there looks to be a bit less protection on the GS. I’m not interested in off-road capabilities.

..... what would you choose – and why? .....
You will decide for yourself, but I would suggest that if you're considering the R1200 GS you should also consider the R1200 RT. When fitted with panniers it's great for long (or VERY long) journeys and without luggage (or perhaps top box only) it also works well on shorter rural or urban journeys. Weather protection is variable using the electrically adjustable screen. I also think it has "character", certainly compared to a 4 cylinder machine and perhaps less so compared to a Harley Davidson.
Good luck, I hope you enjoy whichever way you decide to go.
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Postby P-K » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Just read my .SIG

3 bikes - the only way to go.
Phil,
''93 R100GSPD : '17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

mike pace
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: England, UK

Postby mike pace » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:20 am

Well I swapped my r1100rt for a 55 plate 1200gs a few weeks ago and the difference is amazing.
Met Tourance tyres stick like glue in the dry. Not tried them in the wet yet.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:29 am

HI
Mike and Phil, you both now have 1200gs and I wonder how the power delivery compares to the older bikes, I have been told they need a lot more revs to make them get up and go, but when going they are much quicker.

I keep thinking about something more modern than the R100R / K75 but wonder if I would like it more. Someone who knows me and my bikes well tells me I would hate a K1200RS I was offered. I have also thought about a G650

George

Julesx
Forum User
Country of Residence: Surrey, UK

Postby Julesx » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:45 pm

Well I swapped my r1100rt for a 55 plate 1200gs a few weeks ago and the difference is amazing.
Met Tourance tyres stick like glue in the dry. Not tried them in the wet yet.
How would you rate the weather and higher speed protection from wind turbulance when comparing the RT to the GS. I have not riden a GS yet but can't help feeling that the GS would be anywhere as good as the RT. I have read that the GS is good at speed and there is limited buffeting but would be interested to hear your views

kfrogzx7
Forum User

Postby kfrogzx7 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:35 am

Mid way between an R1100/1150rs and a R nineT ..... that bike exists , it's called an R1200st.
A true Sports Touring all rounder , no compromising on either roles, a great Sunday blast to the pub bike but one also supremely capable of 400 mls of motorway with full luggage.
Ticks all the boxes ( exscuse the pun ) ... telelever/ paralever, smooth characterful economical boxer, comfort for pillion and light enough to scratch.
Biking Nirvana.
Simon
R1200st, R1100s, K100rs, R1150rs

mike pace
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: England, UK

Postby mike pace » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:59 pm

The weather protection on the gs isn't really noticeably different.
I've done 160 miles in one go and no more hard work than the 1100rt.
The ride is brilliant, cornering great and acceleration much better than 1100rt. I'm def not going back.

MightyTharg
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: UK

Postby MightyTharg » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:27 pm

As an all rounder you can't beat the RT

I've owned 1100RT and 1150 and 1200GSAs and I've ridden every model RT, GS and GSA apart from the latest (I've ridden 2 of the LC RTs but not the GS or GSA).

By the time you fit the fashionable aluminium box panniers you end up with something wider than a RT but with less weather protection. The GS has the style and look at me factor but unless you fancy green laning it's just less capable. They're fun and you might get a few more admiring glances because of the image - but if admiration is what you want you may as well go the whole hog (!) with a Harley.

fairing protection - better on the RT, GSA aint too bad with the extra acreage of tank and bodywork, but standard GS definitely more minimal

Key things that always spring to mind for me:

screen - electric on RT!

tank - GS is smaller than RT, GSA is bigger

speed / acceleration - swings and roundabouts

economy - better on the RT

comfort at sustained cruising speeds - RT takes it

low speed handling - not much in it unless it's stop/start and you need to get a foot on the deck then the RT is easier, around the garage/car park the RT is easier

stability in strong sidewinds - my biggest issue with the GSA, on one of my regular routes my 1200GSA was worse than any other bike I've had over the last 20 years, the trick was to flick out your knee as the gust hit so that your leg acted as a kind of air brake and helped counter the wind. People following probably wondered what the hell I was doing.

Back when I had an 1100RT and a 1150GSA I'd ridden the GSA to work and back and then there was a minor emergency that meant I had to be somewhere else 80 miles away fast. Whilst people will say stuff like "point to point you can't beat the GS" I was under no illusions - I hopped straight on the RT. It's true that when you compare an adventure bike like the GS against a sports bike you can't help but think what an awesome and capable machine it is, but when you stack it up against a RT it just doesn't seem quite so special - it does have the Tonka toy looks though.

Current LC RT is phenomenal, if you don't fancy quite so much bodywork there's always the current LC R1200RS... I'd probably take one of those over a standard GS.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:19 am

Hi
Thanks for a well thought out comparison
George

gogs01
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:53 pm

..... So I’m wondering if I should make some changes to suit my different sets of needs ..... Thanks in advance!
Potatan - have we been any help at all ?
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Return to “BM Riders Club”