K100 /1100 Streetfighter update

Ask your questions re Choppers, Bobbers, Trikes etc here

Moderator: Moderators

beachcomber550
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: K100 /1100 Streetfighter update

Postby beachcomber550 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:34 pm

Well here I am folks .................. although at one stage I didn't expect to be !!! :-({|=

The CKD ailment has now stabilised over the past 3 assessments, still at stage 3 [ 2 3/4 to be exact ! ] so a slight improvement, but more importantly, the decline in function seems to have been halted.

That's the good news - now the VERY good news is that I didn't sell my Kay Fighter project ! Although I did sell my 5 spoke wheel conversion, K1100 forks and other goodies while I was having a cull.

That means I am now confident that I can carry on with my project[s] with a reasonable chance of finishing it [them].

And Brian - I STILL have the Airhead parts and now I'm back in circulation, I will go up the garage in the next two weeks and attempt to list what's there. You'll have first refusal.

I know there's crankcases, rods, deep sump, crank, fork yokes - including the elusive cast top yoke version. ALL must go. I've even got a good frame - legal, but no V5. Even though I feel well enough to carry on with my current projects - all the stuff I've been hoarding for "whatifs" must be cleared.

There's also a lot of Kay parts that I won't be using or needing. THERE'S EVEN BEST PART OF A K100 BIKE IN BIG BITS. I'll list everything in the next 3-4 weeks.

So - first task is to get the Kay back from storage and re-assess where I'm at with it. I have started it several times [ always 2nd / 3rd prod ] in the past year or so and still sounds sweet. Especially with the upswept 4 into 1 headers and Yamaha can. tHERE WAS AN ISSUE [ SINCE STORING ] OF AN OIL LEAK. i'M HOPING IT'S THE CLUTCH RELEASE ROD SEAL.

I will be needing a 5 spoke rear wheel [ tyre ] from an R or K S model - 5.5" min.

Maybe also a set of K1100 forks / 3 spoke front wheel as well. I can't be assed to go through the 5 spoke front wheel conversion again ! :roll:

Happy to swap parts whatever.
" If at first you don't succeed - you've already been a failure once"

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Tue May 09, 2017 10:45 am

That's good news TJ. You need to keep some thing to potter about with.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the old goat!!!!

beachcomber550
Forum User

Postby beachcomber550 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:36 am

After a thorough check over - apart from the aforementioned leak [ still to be diagnosed ] - a couple of wires still to be connected and tested, it's still viable. Even managed to find ALL the scattered parts, including as new and highly polished exhaust down pipes.

So, just needs a final fettle of the body panels [ and replace one side panel - which I have ] paint and general tidy up and that's it - apart from the leak of course !

As the original body panels were handmade [ by ace tin basher Pete Kyte ] in aluminium, I'm still debating whether to have the tank stripped and highly polished along with the side panels. I could do that anyway as a "whatif" as I have a spare tank and GRP side panels .

Either way my mojo is back guys.

george baker
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:41 am

Hi
progress! Sounds good.

I think K tank leaks form about halfway along the length where water gathers, I used to think it was only the LHS where bikes were left on the side stand but have since found that tanks rot both siodes if people leave the bike on the main stand

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

beachcomber550
Forum User

Postby beachcomber550 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:31 am

Hi George,

thanx for your continued interest and encouragement.

Fortunately both tanks are leak free [ Fighter still has a gallon or so in it ! ] and more important - dent free, jic I decide to polish one.

I will have to get another 5 spoke [R/K1200S ] rear wheel, but I'm not sure I want to go to all the aggro on the front end to fit a matching 5 spoke - I might simply look for a 3 spoke front end complete with forks / brakes. Will depend on funds, as I'm still progressing my KZ750 Twin Flat Tracker !

beachcomber550
Forum User

Postby beachcomber550 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 am

I've contacted another member, but jic - has anyone got a complete front end with 3 spoke wheel ? That's forks, yokes, wheel, discs [ not strictly nec. ] and calipers.

Also the aforementioned 5 spoke rear ....... min. 5.5" wide.

Return to “Choppers, Bobbers, Trikes & other strange types Q&A's”