Iridium Spark Plugs Use for R1200RT

Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

rglassma
Forum User
Country of Residence: United States

Iridium Spark Plugs Use for R1200RT

Postby rglassma » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

With the age and mileage on my '05 RT (74K), I was interested in trying Iridium replacement plugs instead of going with the standard NGKs. So, I bit the bullet and bought them. During my 72K service, I changed them out. Of course I was a bit nervous since they are not "STOCK" parts. In the last 2K miles, I can honestly say that I am quite pleased with the outcome. The bike seems to perform better, run better, and also provides me with slightly better gas mileage than before. From what I understand, I can expect a serviceable life of approximately twice that of the standard plugs.

Has anyone else made the jump other than myself?

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: Iridium Spark Plugs Use for R1200RT

Postby milleplod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:04 pm

I've used the NGK DCPR8EIX iridiums in my ST for a while now, and have the same improvements as you - highly recommended. :smile: I started using them after querying them directly with NGK UK by eMail - I had a callback from a tech guy within 30 minutes of sending it, how's that for service! :grin:

Anyway, he told me that BMW only specify the EKC plug because, having twin electrodes, it lasts longer, giving longer service intervals - there's no other benefit to twin electrodes apparently, it just means longer life as only one electrode sparks at a time. Interestingly, he did say that the EIX plugs won't last as long, 12-15k miles as opposed to 30k(?) for the OE ones.

Pete
'L'enfer, c'est les autres'.

rglassma
Forum User

Postby rglassma » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:35 am

I don't believe that. Iridium plugs are known for lasting significantly longer then standard copper.

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby milleplod » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:45 am

You may be right.....he may have been right......my memory may be failing. :lol: At the end of the day, due to the improvements they offer, I'd use the EIX ones again even if they only lasted 10k miles. :smile:

Pete
'L'enfer, c'est les autres'.

rglassma
Forum User

Postby rglassma » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:28 am

Based on experiences of others, I expect somewhere between 50K - 60K miles.

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”