Fitting auxiliary lights to GS1200

Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

jfcoleman
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: UK

Fitting auxiliary lights to GS1200

Postby jfcoleman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Hope someone can help me! I'd like to fit auxiliary LED lights to my 2008 GS, but the official BMW lights cost more than an arm and a leg, (no surprises there!). I see plenty of after market lights around the £75 mark or even less on eBay, but I have two clear concerns. Firstly, I recall reading somewhere all sorts of dire warnings about fitting non-compliant lights because of the Canbus system. Secondly, I'm not at all convinced that all the lights advertised as LEDs aren't just ordinary lamps, given the quoted wattage of (usually) 40-50W.

Can anyone tell me if (a) it's okay to fit non-BMW lights, and (b) does fitting ordinary lamps (as opposed to LEDs) put too much strain on an ordinary battery, and (c) short of actually seeing the lights before purchase how can I tell if they are LEDs or not? (The photos aren't always clear).

And if it is okay to fit such lights, how easy is it? Please don't assume I have any knowledge of electronics here - a spanner is one thing, but electrical trickery is a black art I have never mastered!

Many thanks in anticipation.
Regards,
Jim Coleman
(2008 R1200GS)

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Re: Fitting auxiliary lights to GS1200

Postby P-K » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi Jim
With a CanBus bike, what you can't do is just to splice into an existing circuit (headlight, sidelight etc) to connect your extra lamps.
The CanBus controller would spot the extra current flow, and shut the circuit down, as it would appear faulty.

There are several other options.
A remote fuse box is one solution, wire them direct to the battery via their own fuse and switch will also work.
third, a relay off an existing circuit with a fused supply going direct from the battery through the relay contacts.

Lots of options.

Your other point - some LED manufacturers still use wattage as an indication of brightness, for comparison.
Yes, I know it's wrong, but they still do it.
Phil,
''93 R100GSPD : '17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Postby kent_instructor10 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:37 pm

I fitted bmw led lamps to my gs, which i bought used from e bay as i too didnt want a high cost. But i didnt use the bmw loom.

So i hard wired to battery via fuse and relay as phil describes above, and took the power supply for the switch from the live feed to the front position light. That amount of current taken from that circuit hasn't interfered with the canbus.

If you use led lamps there will be spare capacity from the alternator to power them. The older gs lamps were halogen so there will be capacity for that level of draw too but if you went for a greater wattage aftermarket lamp there would need to be calculations to ensure the alternator could handle the level of wattage. I am not aware of the alternator output on a gs.
Now: 2013 R1200RT SE; 2012 R1200GS Triple Black; Previously: K1100RS, R1200RTPx2, R1100RTPx2, R1100RT, R80RT, K100LT and Jap stuff!
http://www.invictamotorcycletraining.co.uk

Lolo
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:48 pm

Its not complicated: 8-[ :-"

Unscrew the back of the power socket under the seat.
The live cable is exposed and make a connection to take a live feed from the auxiliary socket
Run it upto a suitable place to put a switch (put mine on the fairing at the front)
The switch then powers a relay (live) which you can hide under the seat, under the tool tray (halfords do them and the switch which light up when the lights were on)
The relay then takes the power from the battery to the led lights
Run the earths straight back to the negative side of the battery.

Using the relay and the switch from the power socket stops the lights being switched on by accident when the ignition is off. The only thing that happens is the power socket stays live for about 30 seconds to a minute if they have been left on.

Lights were £25 off ebay
aa.jpg
b.jpg
k.jpg
f.jpg
h.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Living the dream :sunny:

jfcoleman
Club Member 12

Postby jfcoleman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Thanks all for the responses. When I said I've never mastered the black art of electrical trickery I meant it - mention of a 'live feed' sounds to me like something which happens at a zoo! However I'm sure it will seem more logical if and when I get around to taking a look-see for myself. The main thing is that I now know it's possible to fit extra lights without crippling the canbus system ... or my wallet!
Regards,
Jim Coleman
(2008 R1200GS)

Fishy23
Forum User
Country of Residence: Uk

Postby Fishy23 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:21 pm

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php This is a link I used to successfully wire in my hella spots, hope it’s some help as I couldn’t afford the high tech stuff

jfcoleman
Club Member 12

Postby jfcoleman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks to Fishy23 for the useful link. I actually spent a happy couple of hours yesterday browsing t'internet and now feel that this is something I could probably tackle, especially if I can find someone nearby to assist. But I still have two questions - where's the best place to tap into a live feed on a 2008 GS? According to one site I read I should use the green/white striped wire which is exposed when I take the cap off the black plug thingy situated under the rear bodywork. I have also read that some people use a live feed to the headlight but that seems less accessible to me. And is it worth fitting a distribution block or fuse block? I don't anticipate fitting any further electrical accessories, but you never know. (My sat nav is wired directly into the bike's loom using the proprietary plug). Again any and all help appreciated!
Regards,
Jim Coleman
(2008 R1200GS)

raesewell
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby raesewell » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 am

You might find these useful to make the job easier.
https://posi-connect.com/collections/posi-tap

I use them a lot, they are also reusable \:D/

jfcoleman
Club Member 12

Postby jfcoleman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:42 am

That's really neat!
Regards,
Jim Coleman
(2008 R1200GS)

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”