Brakes

Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

goldenoldy
Forum User
Country of Residence: united kingdom

Brakes

Postby goldenoldy » Fri May 05, 2017 12:38 pm

Well, it's happened. Out today and lost braking, red triangle showing and brake failure flashing around 4 times a second. They came back then went, sounds like the servo( whizzy sound.) was on partially all the time. Got home and after turning off then starting again it goes through the self check ok until you touch the brakes and it all goes again. No servo sound at all.
Options-
new replacement £1850.
Removal of the system £350
Drop it into Williams Manchester, they will remove it, send it off for repair, replace it. Approx £470.

The first is not an option for me personally.
Several riders have had it removed and apparantly the brakes are excellent. Would this affect insurance and also selling it on?
Has anyone had theirs refurbished? Mines a RT1200 2005 model and had regular fluid changes. Welcome any thoughts and advice :-({|= Brian

Mike D
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: Brakes

Postby Mike D » Fri May 05, 2017 12:48 pm

That's the first time I have heard of a dealer offering to send a servo module away for repair. The companies I contacted said they didn't have the parts/test equipment to diagnose and repair these units.

Last year I removed the servo from R1150RT and had no issues with my insurance company. My renewal came in recently and it shows that the ABS has been removed.

Mike

farmerboy
Club Member 12

Postby farmerboy » Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

I had very similar issue recently (same symptoms) and after 2 failed attempts at repair, decided that the servo/abs had to go. My insurance company (Bennetts) were not bothered at all and the brakes are just as good as before (if not better!). I have to say I am much happier without the servo system as two brake failures were enough excitement for me for a long time!

My advice would be to remove it - a very easy job and it will cost you nothing. I have ridden the bike quite hard recently and the brakes are truly just as good as before. It also ticks over more smoothly now and a funny noise from the alternator area has disappeared!

Just make sure all of the electrics work ok now... brake lights, cruise control .... if so, they will work after removal because you can keep the electronic control part of the servo.

Here is the link... a bit long winded but may be helpful. :)

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=24844
2006 R1200 RT
Grey

2000 Cagiva Navigator TL1000S
Red

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Green (kept in Texas)

John

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Fri May 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi
Removal of the system £350
Drop it into Williams Manchester, they will remove it, send it off for repair, replace it. Approx £470.
from this do I infer you live close to Manchester?

If so then there is a good independent garage close to you who I suspect would be cheaper

If you put your location in your profile you will get local advice

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

goldenoldy
Forum User

Postby goldenoldy » Fri May 05, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi Mike, I'd make the arrangement with the refurbishment guys myself, they are BBA Reman. Williams would remove and refit it for me, I'm not up to doing it myself at the moment.
George, I did live in Manchester but over on Wirral now. Do you mean Roy Gardners near Preston? He gave me the quote for removal.
Farmerboy, yes, I followed your journey with interest! Thanks all for the info.
Brian.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Fri May 05, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi
no, but I only hear good things about him

Since you are on the Wirrle are you coming over to Hooton to join us?

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Mike D
Forum User

Postby Mike D » Sun May 07, 2017 5:56 pm

The last time I spoke to BBA Reman they couldn't provide a repair service for the servo module. I will be very interested in how you get on with them.

Mike

goldenoldy
Forum User

Postby goldenoldy » Mon May 08, 2017 7:10 am

Hi Mike, I spoke with them last week and apparantly they have done a few recently. Williams have put several customers in touch with them. Taking the bike to Williams on Saturday.
Brian

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”