Fuel strip

Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

goldenoldy
Forum User
Country of Residence: united kingdom

Fuel strip

Postby goldenoldy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:59 am

Not a happy bunny. Went out this morning to top up and what do you know, gauge showing empty and a flashing symbol. Topped up and it appears the fuel strip has failed again. Fitted a new one November 15,failed March this year, new one fitted and now that’s gone. I think I have a month left on the original warranty. After that there is no come back this side of the pond. :pale:
Brian

Mike D
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: Fuel strip

Postby Mike D » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:12 pm

You could try to reset it with a GS-911.

Mike

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby milleplod » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Or do the 'zap' trick, you might get quite a few more miles out of it yet.

As an aside, I never could get my head around the 'diminishing warranty' thing. You buy one that's warranted for 2 years....it lasts 4 months....BMW replace it, but the new one only gets 20 months warranty. And so on. :-k

Pete
'L'enfer, c'est les autres'.

nikon70
Forum User

Postby nikon70 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:13 pm

how much is the replacement job by bmw?

what's the part number of the replacement?

anyone got the reset tool to do the fitting/configuration of the strip?

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby milleplod » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:18 pm

I had mine done earlier this year at RGM, an indy over Southport way. That cost just under £190 all-in, with the new strip warranted for the same 2 years that it would get if done at a dealer, and a 3 month labour warranty. No doubt the job at BMW would cost a fair bit more due to a dealer's labour charges - not sure what their policy would be on labour costs after an early failure! :smile:

Pete
'L'enfer, c'est les autres'.

Melian
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Melian » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:24 pm

I was quoted £250 by Bahnstormer with the job covered by a 2 year guarantee in case of early failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2009 BMW R1200RT

The point of life is not to arrive at the end with a perfectly preserved body but to slide in sideways, fully used up with a glass of champagne in hand shouting Wahooo, what a ride. :king:

goldenoldy
Forum User

Postby goldenoldy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Well, fuel strip replaced today at Chester Mottrad. No labour costs. I’d hoped to retain the failed one to try the zapping trick, but apparantly they have to return it to BMW under the warranty deal. So I have one month left now on the original warranty. Three fails
in two years. I have written to BMW customer services twice in the last week asking if there would be any ‘good will’ on their part if this one fails. As yet no response except the automatic one that they have received my post. So, Abs removed this year and two fuel strips replaced. Having said that, on a near 2000 mile trip to France this autumn it didn’t miss a beat and carried us both plus lots of luggage with no issues. I think they’ve basically messed up a good bike with the electronic gizmos.
Brian

Mike D
Forum User

Postby Mike D » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:42 pm

I think they’ve basically messed up a good bike with the electronic gizmos.
Never a truer word said!

Mind you, if you have the aluminium rear wheel flange then give it a good check over as it is liable to crack, plus the less than robust rear drive units, so maybe not all electrical gremlins.

Mike

goldenoldy
Forum User

Postby goldenoldy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks Mike! I take it the flange is the one replaced under the recall. Getting used to the non abs brakes now, and so far they are great, quieter too with no whizzy sound.
Brian

Melian
Forum User

Postby Melian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:28 pm

It's not fair to blame BMW for the flange issue. It's only a problem if a gorilla who is not familiar with a torque wrench has been at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 BMW R1200RT

The point of life is not to arrive at the end with a perfectly preserved body but to slide in sideways, fully used up with a glass of champagne in hand shouting Wahooo, what a ride. :king:

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 12

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Or, as in my case, a main dealer's technician who used an anti-sieze lubricant on the bolts for which the torque setting is for a dry bolt, thus overtightening the bolts
Keith
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
Kawasaki Versys 650

Mike D
Forum User

Postby Mike D » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:38 am

Or, as in my case, a main dealer's technician who used an anti-sieze lubricant on the bolts for which the torque setting is for a dry bolt, thus overtightening the bolts
As with the servo ABS which was dropped in favour of the car derived electric motor system, the steel wheel flange is was what should have been fitted in the first place.

Mike

Philip
Forum User
Country of Residence: great britain

Postby Philip » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi i'm on my third sensor in 2 years last one lasted 18 months, bmw won't stand by the warrenty because the second one was put on under the the 3 month warrenty i got when i got the bike so i paid to have a new one fitted . Now trying to get my money refunded from the bike shop where i got the bike, I went to the citizens advice they said i might get refund through the sale of goods act as the part is not fit for purpose shold last 6 years or more. Also tried the 12 year warrenty that i found on the internet in a forum on the fuel stip. They said the bike was to old at 11 years and 50.000 miles on the clock.Not to fond of BMW UK not very helpfull.

Mike D
Forum User

Postby Mike D » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:24 am

BMW are not going to worry about a fuel strip problem when they point blank refuse to accept that failure of the iABS (servo) is a safety issue. I tried with BMW and VOSA to get a recall and got nowhere.

Mike

beedenb
Forum User

Postby beedenb » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi Goldenoldy
Had the same problem on Saturday, rode down to Padstow on the A303 to pick up some beers for Saturday nights fight, ( I live in Basingstoke ) 42 miles from Padstow I had 88 miles showing on the gauge when the tank ran dry. Fuel strip was replaced on Aug 2014 so Bahnstormer now want £276 to supply and fit. 2 hours stuck on the side of the road waiting for the RAC , I left at Midday and got back at 19:00. 352miles was a good ride

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”