RT Tyres

Post your Hexhead (watercooled) technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Blaktop1

RT Tyres

Postby Blaktop1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:48 pm

Got my RT today and well please like a kid with a new toy, it has B023 front and rear, front looks new hardly used rear I fear needs replacing loads of tread on the outsides, virtually on the limit in the middle.
Would I be best to replace with same or go with Micheline PR3, and if so is it ok to mix front and rear.

Ruralman
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Scotland

RT Tyres

Postby Ruralman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:58 pm

Hi Blacktop1,
Pr3's would be my choice :grin:
Enjoy your new ride :smile:
Keith :cool:

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Re: RT Tyres

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:40 am

Hi Blaktop1,

If you have an almost new Bridgestone BT023 on the front and the rear is done, I would fit a Bridgestone BT023 rear.
This will give you in effect a matched set of new Bridgestones which should last a good season for you to enjoy the new bike.

The Michelin PR3 is rated highly by many riders. I have a set on my R1100RT after previously running on Bridgestone BT021 tyres.

Having worn out the Michelins, I am returning to the Bridgestone BT021 tyres. I did not get on with the Michelin PR3 tyres.

My bike is used for two-up bimbling about and I do not ride fast.

The Michelin PR3 front tyre took almost 200 miles to bed in and not slide alarmingly in the wet on greasy roads - the Bridgestone BT021 front beds in within 50 miles.

The Michelin PR3 rear tyre appeared to me to have a lightweight, less thick and less stiff carcass such that I felt on certain bends the tyre initially supported the banking of the bike and then 'collapsed' suddenly as though the wall stiffness had changed.

The bike is a 1996 model which has always been run on the recommended Bridgestones except for the last two years when I changed over to try the Michelin PR3. I changed because of the supposed better wet weather grip of the Michelin PR3 and because the Bridgestones square off the rear tyre at about mid-life causing white-lining.

It may be that the lighter, more modern bikes are better suited to the Michelin PR3 tyres than my old bike.

However, in view of the above I would definitely NOT mix Bridgestone and Michelin tyres on a bike.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

gogs01
Club Member 12

Postby gogs01 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:17 am

I agree with Ced's advice - I wouldn't throw away a good BT023 front either.

The PR3s on my R1200RT are at least as good as any other tyre I've used and I'm getting terrific mileage out of them so, if you fall out of love with the Bridgestones, the PR3s (or even the latest PR4s) should be on your short list.
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Ruralman
Club Member 12

RT Tyres

Postby Ruralman » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:24 am

Agreed, don't throw away good tyres, tyre choice is subjective and you'll get copious opinions on this site, if you like a tyre then it's good enough :smile:

keith565

Postby keith565 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:21 am

I also agree keep front and put same on back. Don't mix.
I used PR3's and loved them but felt I didn't get great mileage on the rear.
I'm trying Avon storm 3D, they seem to stick to the road.

racingt

Postby racingt » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:33 am

Love my PR3s , and they have done 9000 now, rear has started tram lining, so I need to change soon. However, I wouldn't mix, and wouldn't throw away a good front either, so I would stick with Bridgestones.

Blaktop1

Postby Blaktop1 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:13 pm

Looking around for best prices and have found these guys http://www.tyreleader.co.uk they seem very good prices, have used a guy before drive in drive out supplied balanced and fitted.
Now checking the prices I can get a pair of T30 GT for the RT for £187.78, the same guy who fitted my other tyre drive in drive out wants £320.00,
now I know these guys have got over heads but nearly £133 quid more just for fitting and balancing.

I have always used the expression "dont buy a Rolls Royce if you cant afford the fuel" now I've bought a BMW am I being a tight wad when it comes to tyre fitting, or am I joining the ranks of grumpy old men.
Last edited by Blaktop1 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruralman
Club Member 12

RT Tyres

Postby Ruralman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi Blacktop1,
Just checked out the site and they seem to have a large choice of tyres, and you can choose a local fitter or if there are none close you can get them delivered to you.
Prices seem good they've even got the TCK70 which is a fairly recent continental tyre for adventure bikes.
I may try the site out when my tyres are due a replacement.

Rednine

Postby Rednine » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:41 pm

I have just used, (this month) tyreleader.co.uk. Although they are based in Germany I ordered on the Friday, DPD delivered on the Tuesday and the price beat everyone I could think of and others that I was told about. The tyres I was after were Tourance Nexts for a GS. I checked the tyres for date of manufacture and the sidewalls on both showed 05/14. so, give them a thought/try as well.

Blaktop1

Postby Blaktop1 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks for that Rednine, checked out the websites I had been visiting when trolling the web and it was indeed tyre leader that had the best price of £187.78 for the battlax T30 GT 180/55/17 - 120/70/17 and not MyTyres as I previous posted.

Blaktop1

Postby Blaktop1 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Well there's me ruling out BMW for fitting Tyre's as being to expensive, what a shock, phoned Cotswold's Motorad and they would gladly fit tyres that I supply for a standard 1 hrs labour charge of £76.00 That's fitted, balanced and the dreaded VAT.

So Tyreleader gets a thumbs up for the tyres and Cotswolds for the fitting too, all in for £264.

I'm happy with that.

Sofa Bear

Postby Sofa Bear » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:11 pm

My apologies this is my first post on the forum (I shall do a proper introduction in due course) but I was hoping for some guidance on tyre choice please.

I have recently bought a 1995 R1100RT and am very pleased with it. It currently has Bridgestone BT-021 front and rear, both quite squared off though not down to the wear makrs yet. The bike is becoming less pleasant to ride now - harsh feedback going over bumps, white-lining and the unnerving fight to lean with the rapid drop once over the square edge. I have done about 3k miles on they tyres so overall I would guess they are 5k old.

I'm not a fan of the BT-021, mainly because I think they lack grip in the cold and wet and don't inspire confidence.

Looking at Tyreleader.com choices within decent price range are:

Bridgestone BT-023
Metzeler Z8 Roadtec
Metzeler Z6 Roadtec

For comparison, I used to own an R1150 Rockster and I loved Pirelli Diablo Strada (especially in the wet) and Michelin PR2 but that bike left my ownership almost 7 years ago so I'm a little out of touch.

I have tried Michelin PR3 on my TDM850 and did not get on with them at all due too much movement from the sipes.

Can anyone offer any opinions on the above choices (or even recommend something more leftfield)?

Thanks,

SB.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi Sofa Bear,

I have a 1996 R1100RT which I have always fitted with Bridgestone tyres.

I too have found that the Bridgestone Battlax BT-021's do square off quite badly starting mid-life of the tyre and with the handling getting worse thereon especially on white lines until end of life at about 6000 miles for the rear. I usually change both front and rear together as a matched set when changing tyres.

I changed to the Michelin Pilot Road 3 tyres as I had heard good reviews about these especially for wet grip.

The first 200 miles on these tyres almost reduced me to a nervous wreck in the wet. The front end would regularly lose its grip when wet that I had to change my normally easy-going and fairly slow riding style to adapt.

The rear tyre seemed to be of lighter construction than the BT-021's and when cornering it appeared that the sidewall stiffness would give up under load and affect the balance of the bike. At first I thought that this was due to worn front telelever bearings, pivot bolt bearings, rear swing-arm or paralever bearings but this was not the case - the frame parts were fine. The only parts worn are both the front and rear shocks (72,000 miles) but the Bridgestones were also used with these shocks and the problem did not arise.

The Michelin PR3's did not square off as much as the Bridgestones and give higher mileage.

However, I have now removed them from the bike even though there is some mileage left on both front & rear and re-fitted new Bridgestone Battlax BT-021's. I have never had grip problems with the BT-021's. Better the devil you know!

I bought a Motorcycle Tyre Changer/Bead Breaker from M&P for around £50 and do my own tyre changes. This enables me to purchase my tyres at the best prices. I bought the Bridgestone BT-021's from My Tyres UK ( http://www.mytyres.co.uk/) who are UK Distributors for the German firm Delticom AG for under £160.00 the pair delivered. I am very pleased with the service I received from this company and would use them again.

Hope that helps! :grin:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

Sofa Bear

Postby Sofa Bear » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:45 pm

.... Useful stuff ....
Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply Ced, it's gratefully received. Will have a look at mytyres.com for some prices now. I'm very fortunate to have a mate (an R1100RS rider who believe is on this site too) who has tyre changing equipment which makes things a fair bit cheaper, especially at this time of year.

:)

steve c

Postby steve c » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:09 pm

My new R1200RTLC came fitted with Michelin pr4 tyres. I find them very twitchy on road markings and imperfections. I had the same with the michelins on my previos honda st1300 pan european. Changed to bridgestone BT023s then T30gt which made an amazing change to the handling of the bike. I wondered if anyone had tried the bridgestone T30gt on their R1200RTLC

mike pace
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: England, UK

Postby mike pace » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:21 pm

When I had my r1100rt I only fitted bridge stones. The 021s were brilliant in all weathers.
I have no experience of other tyres on that bike but simply would not have tried any other make.
Now on my 1200gs I have Metzellers. I like these too

Melian
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Melian » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:49 am

I've got Pirelli Angel GTs on mine. It wasn't my first choice but I had an urgent need having got 5 roofing nails in the rear and they were the only tyres the supplier had that would fit. I've got to say they have been brilliant and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
2009 BMW R1200RT

The point of life is not to arrive at the end with a perfectly preserved body but to slide in sideways, fully used up with a glass of champagne in hand shouting Wahooo, what a ride. :king:

Goldbug101
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Goldbug101 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:14 pm

The R1200RT Facebook group seems to favour Michelin PR4s almost to a man. I have Bridgestone Battlax 023 GTs on my bike, fitted by the selling dealer before I collected it without telling me. If he'd asked I'd have offered to pay any extra for PR4s, but happy with these for now.

GB
2015 R1200RT LE LC - Oct 2015
2003 R1150RT - Sept 2015
Honda NT700VA-8 Deauville - Feb 2015
Honda ST1100 Pan European - 2003
Honda CX500 - 1981
Honda CB250N Superdream - 1979
Honda CB200 - 1978

Philipm1962
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Uk

Postby Philipm1962 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:31 pm

Has anybody tried metzeler z8 roadtec tyres on an rt yet as some off the magazine's seem to prais them well

Melian
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Melian » Wed May 10, 2017 1:50 pm

They can't be that bad. I see BMW are supplying them as standard equipment on the RnineT racer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2009 BMW R1200RT

The point of life is not to arrive at the end with a perfectly preserved body but to slide in sideways, fully used up with a glass of champagne in hand shouting Wahooo, what a ride. :king:

Return to “Hexhead (Watercooled R1200) Q&A's”