2014 R1200 RT LE compensation

Post your Hexhead (watercooled) technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

ianl
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

2014 R1200 RT LE compensation

Postby ianl » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:08 pm

I received the following email which I copy for your information. Email address is stephanielongden@gmail.com

Ian

Hello,

I was previously a member and am looking to join again but in the meantime would any of your members with the 2014 R1200RT LE like to contact me if they are unhappy with the compensation offered by BMW UK.

I have one of the 500 or so RT’s that have been recalled in the UK for replacement of rear suspension.

I am very unhappy with the £500 voucher compensation being offered especially as I didn’t want a loan bike as I have two other BMW's.

I would be grateful if you would pass my email address to any owners who would like to get together to convince BMW to improve their offer.

According to “Visordown” and elsewhere, BMW Motorrad USA is offering three options: -

1.Those happy to wait will be compensated $2,500 (£1,470) once the repair is complete.

2. Owners wanting a loan bike will be provided with one until a repair on their bike is complete, providing them also with $1,000 (£587) to use against BMW accessories or the payment of their RT.

3. For owners no longer wanting to keep their R1200RT, BMW Motorrad USA will buy the bike back from them at original purchase price and give them $1,000 to use towards the purchase of a different BMW motorcycle.

I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks and kindest regards

Stephanie Longden
Ian

2007 R1200GS
The cause of most motorcycle faults is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Re: 2014 R1200 RT LE compensation

Postby Jaythro » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:56 pm

Well Damn! How Sad!!! BMW stop usage they also arrange You get a loan bike for nothing and £500 to spend in the dealership as and where you wish.....??? Poor You!

I think I'd be Bloody grateful they actually did something this time rather than trying to dig your snouts further into the trough !!!!

People with failing brake servos got damn all and that failure was DAMN dangerous
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:49 pm

Well Damn! How Sad!!! BMW stop usage they also arrange You get a loan bike for nothing and £500 to spend in the dealership as and where you wish.....??? Poor You!

I think I'd be Bloody grateful they actually did something this time rather than trying to dig your snouts further into the trough !!!!

People with failing brake servos got damn all and that failure was DAMN dangerous
+1 =D>

Is this a sign of a change of attitude by BMW after the iABS-1 fiasco and customers might now rely on getting proper factory support where it is merited?

I think that the BMW offer in the current circumstances is quite appropriate and supportive of their customers and should be applauded.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - It works!

keith565

Postby keith565 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:01 am

i agree but why the massive difference between the offer to USA customers and UK customers?

Twisty

Postby Twisty » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:50 am

i agree but why the massive difference between the offer to USA customers and UK customers?
T'was ever thus - Years ago (I can't remember how many) we (the UK) got 12months warranty and the USA got 2 years. Admittedly the goodwill was second to none but you needed your dealer on your side.
:cool:

Tony the Skin
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: England

Postby Tony the Skin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:49 am

T'was ever thus - Years ago (I can't remember how many) we (the UK) got 12months warranty and the USA got 2 years. Admittedly the goodwill was second to none but you needed your dealer on your side.
:cool:

Added to which the Yanks will pay less in the first place for the bike. :evil:
BMW R75/5
BMW R90/S
BMW R75/7
BMW K75 Sprint
BMW R1200 RS LC
Harleys
MZ 251
Suzuki GT750A

Membership No. 672

mw3230
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby mw3230 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:55 pm

An impolite response to a reasonable request - I'm sure you will have persuaded the OP to rejoin the group - chapeau
Formerly 2013 K1600GTSE, now 2017 GSA

Jaythro
Forum User

Postby Jaythro » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 pm

An impolite response to a reasonable request - I'm sure you will have persuaded the OP to rejoin the group - chapeau
Actually No it was free speech defining my distaste at someone whinging and wringing their hands at the same time!

Previous to this shock absorber failure no one was taken off the road when the servo ABS systems started failing or 1200 hexheads started dropping valves or pre 2006 final drives started eating themselves!Edit add the Fuel pump relays that would fail without warning leaving people stranded and Also the immobiliser antenna that yet again would fail and leave folks stranded!

I think this present batch of owners would do well to appreciate the turn around in working practices at Motorad and be grateful!
There's a lot of people who had horrendous costs incurred due to failures due to flawed designs and materials and who got nothing but a hefty bill!
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

colinsb
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby colinsb » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:28 pm

Returning to the original issue, had I been formally offered the three US options, I would probably have taken Option 1 rather than Option 2, which I effective did, even though the £500 wasn't offered initially. The main reason for that is that my dealer dealt with the issue immediately, taking my bike in and replacing it with a brand new GS, before the full process was in place. I would probably have passed on having a bike I could have lived without, as I have a 26-year old Honda that still goes.

I believe that BMW Motorrad and my dealer behaved as honourably and as promptly as possible. I appreciate the problems associated with recalls (my wife works for a global car manufacturer which has had more than its share of recall issues) and wouldn't want to understate the enormity of the problem facing BMW. In this litigation-happy world, they had no alternative. Ironically, the failed component is the bike's only major part sourced in Italy.

I'm not happy with the situation, but I'd be a lot less happy if the issue had been covered up like some that are still being revealed.

Jaythro
Forum User

Postby Jaythro » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Also something that needs to be publicised here is that BMW North America are nothing to do with BMW UK and or BMW EU except under the corporate banner

they are all independent entities that buy their bikes and utilise the warranty system from Germany but they are all separate

I learned this when a bike here had a failure where the brake disc/wheel carrier on an 04 1200GS worked loose due to maufacture fault or substandard materials (sound familiar??) on the rear axle causing excessive wear and allowing teh wheel to wobble causing tanks slappers.
In teh end it required a complete final drive and brake carrier The defect on the bike happened with the manufacture dates of a similar recall in the US but not here So the VIN was not applicable (if I remember correctly)

Return to “Hexhead (Watercooled R1200) Q&A's”